Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
So, let me start off by saying I do have the "unofficial" gevey supreme that came in the yellow packaging. I also know that even though it says "without any operation" you still have to go through all the steps you would with a regular gevey sim to get it working with tmobile. Here's my story:

I get rather poor service in parts of my house. I was on the official Gevey sim when it first came out (for iphone 4 that is). The original one; it would require you to turn off your phone, dial 112, etc EVERY time you lose service. Since I frequently visit the areas in my house where I don't get service, it got rather irritating to reset it EVEY single time. So, I ordered the Gevey Supreme Pro Plus in Yellow off Ebay. That was just over a month ago.

When I got it, I put it in, accepted the welcome message, dialed 112, hung up, toggled airplane mode on/off and BOOM! I had service. If I lost service, it would come right on back. It was great. About a week after having it (and constantly losing service but getting it back in a snap (gevey was flawless)) I visited my cabin where I get no service. I forgot my charger, so I turn off my phone. The next day, I turned it back on when I got home and service came back! Just like gevey supreme was supposed to do. However, I lost service a few hours later and it never came back. i turned it off and was greeted with the welcome menu again, so I went through the unlock process again. It worked for a while and then I lost it again. So i toggled airplane mode and would get "searching" and "no service". I even took out the sim, waited a bit, and reinserted it, followed the procedure and after playing with it for several hours, I finally got it to work again - if I lost service, it would come back. Now, three weeks later, it did it again. However, I've been fiddling with it for 3 days now, and I can never get it to show service unless I manually do the procedure over and over again.

From what I can tell, I can't find anyone who has had this problem on here or tmobile forums (And yes, I've consulted google lol).

I've tried dialing 112, *112, *000. I saw a video that said, after the first time of dialing 112 and getting service, you must immediately reboot the phone, which I did (and service did come back but as soon as I hit a dead spot in my house, it disappeared and hasn't come back). I read that because Gevey uses TMSI spoofing, it's a good idea to put your sim back in a phone that gives you a legitimate TMSI number - so I stuck my sim in my old iphone 3g which is SoftUnlocked using the Dev Teams magic - got service, took out my sim, put it back in the i4, did the unlock process, got service but after a while, I lost it again and, of course, it didn't come back. When I lose service, I have toggled airplane mode and I will get "Searching" but to no avail. So, I end up turning it off, and doing the whole accept, wait 15 sec, dial 112, toggle airplane, and then I get service.

Quick details, I have an i4 on 4.3.3 with BB 2.10.04. Data roaming is enabled (I have even turned it off to see what would happen), 3g is off. Under settings > general > about, it says carrier is 10.0 (but I currently have no service and haven't reset it..again). I have TMO USA in Washington.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Any help is much appreciated, and yes, I know that Gevey ultra is out, but I don't want to buy yet another gevey sim.

Last edited:

vtran

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
maryland
This is a long shot but from what I'm reading... I think you may have purchased a fake gevey sim. The most recent gevey sim is called Gevey Sim Ultra.

If you visit http://www.applenberry.com, a warning is prompted and it describes the same gevey sim that you bought from ebay.

I hope you didn't spend too much on this unlock sim but I read on another forum that someone bought from this seller http://myworld.ebay.com/gevey_usa and it was working. I purchased one myself and it will arrive tomorrow.

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
As I mentioned at the very beginning, I did buy an unofficial Gevey Supreme. The official Supreme came in red packaging and mine came in Yellow. You are correct that it is the fake version, but that's not the point, the fakes work just as well as the real ones, case in point, it's worked fine for a month, then I switched airplane mode on (accident) and I've had problems for 3 days. I know the Gevey ultra is out and so is the Gevey Pass, but I don't want to spend another $15+. Mine worked fine, I just messed it up. And Applenberry's site is just as misleading as my gevey. It all it says is that "It does not do what it claims". Which they are correct, Gevey supreme yellow claims "without any operation" but there is, in fact, operation that must be done.

Mine IS a fake. But it DOES work. I messed it up. But I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue and fixed it?

Also, @VTRAN, I don't mean to be snooty, but you should read threads more carefully before making a reply - I personally don't care, but I have been yelled at by the interwebz trolls who, because I mentioned something that they had posted about, they felt the need to call me out for it. So, just FYI, lol Because I did mention I know it's a fake and I know about the next generations of Gevey. Thanks for the input, though.

vtran

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
maryland
As I mentioned at the very beginning, I did buy an unofficial Gevey Supreme. The official Supreme came in red packaging and mine came in Yellow. You are correct that it is the fake version, but that's not the point, the fakes work just as well as the real ones, case in point, it's worked fine for a month, then I switched airplane mode on (accident) and I've had problems for 3 days. I know the Gevey ultra is out and so is the Gevey Pass, but I don't want to spend another $15+. Mine worked fine, I just messed it up. And Applenberry's site is just as misleading as my gevey. It all it says is that "It does not do what it claims". Which they are correct, Gevey supreme yellow claims "without any operation" but there is, in fact, operation that must be done.

Mine IS a fake. But it DOES work. I messed it up. But I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue and fixed it?

Also, @VTRAN, I don't mean to be snooty, but you should read threads more carefully before making a reply - I personally don't care, but I have been yelled at by the interwebz trolls who, because I mentioned something that they had posted about, they felt the need to call me out for it. So, just FYI, lol Because I did mention I know it's a fake and I know about the next generations of Gevey. Thanks for the input, though.

My apologies. I should have read it but I just skimmed. It's okay and thanks for the advice. Good luck on fixing it.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Not all Gevey Supremes work properly. You might have to get another one.

I installed one for a customer of mine. His phone would get T-Mobile service but no edge on the first Gevey.

I then used another Gevey Supreme and it worked like a charm. T-Mobile service and Edge came up.

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Not all Gevey Supremes work properly. You might have to get another one.

I installed one for a customer of mine. His phone would get T-Mobile service but no edge on the first Gevey.

I then used another Gevey Supreme and it worked like a charm. T-Mobile service and Edge came up.

That's just it, though, I have gevey supreme and it does work properly. But last friday, I was out of service for about 2 hours (left the phone on) and when I got back in range of cell towers, I got tmobile service again but got a message "could not activate cellular data" or something like that. But service still worked fine. So, I fiddled with toggling "cellular data - on/off" in settings, and that's when it stopped working and doing this whole thing of losing service and not getting it back. I've put in the original att (not active) sim, I've put in my first gevey sim (regular) and even put my sim back in a Tmobile phone (motorola cliq and unlocked iphone 3g). I get service when I put gevey supreme in. It's working, but when I lose service, it doesn't come back (like it has in the past). I have to take out the sim, redial 112, airplane, etc.

Just for clarification, my gevey supreme, although it is fake, it DOES work. It HAS worked for a month until I messed with the settings. I put the settings back to what I had them on when it HAD been working, but now, when I lose service it doesn't come back like it should.

On a side note, if anyone is skeptical about buying a real vs fake gevey, it's like buying walmart brand "Wally-os" vs name brand "Cheerios". They still taste like cheerios, they look like cheerios, well, they must be cheerios. Same thing with Gevey. However, you do have to be careful when buying a fake because there ARE people who are selling sims that don't actually work - but if you buy from a reputable dealer (like a "top rated seller" on ebay, chances are, you will be fine).

ciscofrandesval

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
I'm having the same issue with my Gevey Supreme...

When I first got the Gevey it worked perfectly, just like yours. I live in Mexico City and I get good service almost everywhere in the city. Similar to your case, I recently went on vacation to a cabin deep inside the forest where I had no service whatsoever and got the no service message. Once I left the service did not come back on its own so I had to reboot my iPhone and do the unlock process all over again. The signal came back fine, but ever since I had that gap of no signal for a couple of days I keep loosing service every 3 or 4 hours. Also, one time while I was testing the reboot and toggle to see if it would fix itself; I tried calling my phone from another cell phone and just when the other phone started dialing mine stopped receiving signal and went back to the NO SIGNAL message. Maybe it has something to do with going into cabins lol. If you get a resolution please let me know, because having to reboot the phone every 3 hours is pissing me off and I keep missing important calls. Now I regret spending 450 bucks on a locked ATT iPhone when I could've waited a couple of months and bought an unlocked one that doesn't require Geveys. Lets hope someone (Apple) comes up with a final carrier unlock solution.

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
When I first got the Gevey it worked perfectly, just like yours.

There are two things I did to mine to make it work. First, the new GEVey PASS or Ultra are supposed to work with something you download through cydia (your phone must be jailbroken). Keep in mind, I'm on the Supreme, not pass/ultra. But, I decided to download the tweak in cydia anyway (I don't remember the repo, but if you google cydia gevey app it should pop up). Once its downloaded and installed, my phone kind of worked but still had some issues.

Here's the other thing I did. Since I ordered my gevey supreme through ebay, I contacted the seller (there was a 60 day warranty on mine). He sent me a new one. When I got it, it was actually a gevey pro, the earlier generation of the gevey supreme. I tried it anyway (the only difference between the two is that supreme is *Supposed* to be able to turn off the phone and turn it back on without losing service). Well, it didn't even give me a welcome message. so I contacted the seller and he just gave me my money back. So I had this gevey supreme that kind of worked and gevey pro that was useless (and my original gevey that you had to reboot EVERY time you lost service). So, I tried a couple more times with the pro and after no avail, I stuck the supreme back in and went through the process again. It seems to work - I went about 1.5 weeks of it working before I got the NO SERVICE and it woulndn't come back. So I stuck the pro back in, rebooted, nothing happened, so I stuck the supreme back in and it's been working again. Moral of the story is gevey supreme doesn't actually do what it's supposed to. Don't turn off your phone. DOn't toggle airplane (except in the beginning when you accept the welcome message and dial 112). If you lose service, wait a good long while before messing with it - (i've lost service and waited almost 5 minutes showing "NO SERVICE" thinking I would have to redo everything but then TMOBILE popped back up). If you do lose service and it doesn't come back, take out the sim, try a different sim card or a different gevey and then go back to the supreme.

So right now, I still have the tweak/hack installed through cydia even though I'm not sure if it actually does nything (but my phone seems to be working with it). I also have ultrasn0w installed but that just makes "tmobile" appear. If I don't have ulrasn0w installed, it only shows 1 bar but I can still make calls - it's weird. And lastly, if I do lose service for good, I switch out the gevey's (from supreme to pro, reboot, and back to supreme, reboot). then it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.