Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:54 AM   #1
ranny2
macrumors member

Importing Video Clips to iMovie for iPad

Hi!
I am soon to be the owner of an iPad 2, and I can't wait. One thing I am looking forward to is iMovie for iPad, as it looks simple and fun to use and an improvement over my current Windows Movie Maker!
One question I have though, is:
Is it possible to import video clips from other devices (such as a DSLR) into iMovie using the camera connection kit? I really hope it does, as if it doesn't, then the app will be pointless for me.
Thanks
ranny2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Stovepiper
macrumors member

See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...297&highlight=

The short answer is no.

The only devices that produce clips that are directly usable by iMovie for iPad are the iPhone 3GS/4 and the iPad 2 (as far as I know). In order to get clips from other cameras to work you must convert them with iTunes, QuickTime, or some other conversion program. It sucks, but that is how it stands right now.

If you happen to take most of your clips with an iPhone and want to edit on the iPad, there is an app called Photo Transfer that let's you wirelessly beam to the files between devices. That's what I've been doing for quick and dirty editing. DLSR clips and more serious work are done on the Mac with Final Cut Pro X.
Stovepiper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:26 PM   #3
ranny2
macrumors member

Oh, OK. That's very annoying to be honest!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:37 PM   #4
MrMacMini
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovepiper View Post
See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...297&highlight=

The short answer is no.

The only devices that produce clips that are directly usable by iMovie for iPad are the iPhone 3GS/4 and the iPad 2 (as far as I know). In order to get clips from other cameras to work you must convert them with iTunes, QuickTime, or some other conversion program. It sucks, but that is how it stands right now.

If you happen to take most of your clips with an iPhone and want to edit on the iPad, there is an app called Photo Transfer that let's you wirelessly beam to the files between devices. That's what I've been doing for quick and dirty editing. DLSR clips and more serious work are done on the Mac with Final Cut Pro X.
You can transfer your iPhone videos directly to your iPad using the CCK. Just connect the CCK to the iPad and the iPhone to the CCK via the USB/Charging cable.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:55 PM   #5
ranny2
macrumors member

That would be great.... if I had an iPhone haha
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:26 AM   #6
fiedel
macrumors newbie

Re:Importing Video Clips to iMovie for iPad

These are some steps that you could follow...

Step 1: Run iPad 2 Movie Converter
Launch the program and then choose the Video Converter by clicking the second button on the right.

Step 2. Import Files and Set Output Settings
This is the most important step to convert video to iPad 2 for iMovie. Just click "Open file" to import the video files you want to convert to iPad 2, then choose output format from the "Profile" area and set an output folder for saving the converted files.

Step 3. Start Conversion
OK! Click the "Convert" button to start video to iPad 2 conversion.

Step 4. Transfer Video to iMovie on iPad 2
The last step to convert video to iMovie for iPad 2 is to transfer the converted video files to iPad 2 with iTunes.

Done! After you convert video to iMovie for iPad 2, you can edit the videos on iMovie for iPad 2 as you wish.

Apart from importing videos to iMovie for iPad 2 , you can also convert and rip DVD movies to iMovie on iPad 2 with the best iPad 2 Movie Converter Suite. Download to have a free try right now!
fiedel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 05:36 PM   #7
ajaxme
macrumors newbie

ajaxme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 03:47 AM   #8
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxme View Post
I've been working on a full compatibility list of current cameras. Many of them work without any kind of re-encoding.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps