Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ptit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
moon
Hey guys, i wanted to know if anyone of you i5 and i7 owners had a chance to compare performances between the machines, does the amount of memory, SSD drive, going from i5 to i7 make a difference?

thanks

Ptit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
moon
Hey guys, i wanted to know if anyone of you i5 and i7 owners had a chance to compare performances between the machines, does the amount of memory, SSD drive, going from i5 to i7 make a difference?

thanks

bump

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
An i7 will process faster than the i5 however you won't notice it too much with logic - and a external FireWire drive for audio storage will work better than staying on board. However if you got the solid state drive/7400 rpm drive it would also work well. You want to keep track storage on a different drive than programs.

And 8gb of ram is sufficient but 16gb will speed up any sample based synths you might use.

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
a external FireWire drive for audio storage will work better than staying on board. However if you got the solid state drive/7400 rpm drive it would also work well. You want to keep track storage on a different drive than programs.

And 8gb of ram is sufficient but 16gb will speed up any sample based synths you might use.

To clarify: Don't record to the external drive. You may experience buffering errors. (I learned this the hard way working with ProTools -- FW800 can't write fast enough, the software gets kinked up, and produces an error).

I'm curious to see a Thunderbolt drive do this...I bet it runs smoothly.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
To clarify: Don't record to the external drive. You may experience buffering errors. (I learned this the hard way working with ProTools -- FW800 can't write fast enough, the software gets kinked up, and produces an error).

That's not a problem here running Logic pro, Apogee Duet FW, and recording to a 2 TB WD FW800 drive ( that also has samples on it that are streaming back). Now I've mostly been under 32 tracks....

I've also edited and rendered short vignettes using Final Cut Pro with Motion tracks written.

The errors you get may very well be a PT buffeting issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.