Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angeloconto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Hi everybody. I have a problem using Soundflower. I need to use that (or something similar) to connect to each other all my music softwares (Ableton Live, Logic, Pd, other stuff. What I did is:
- install Sunflower and Soundflowerbed
- select Soundflower 16ch as input/output device in System preferencies/Sound
- select Soundflower 16ch as input/output device in each application, when possible
The problem is that it doesn't appear any audio software in Soundflowerbed channels, when I want to assign. It seems that Soundflower doesn't connect with anything. I have tried to uninstall but everything is the same. Also, Cycling 74 doesn't give any support.
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance,
Angelo

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Hi everybody. I have a problem using Soundflower. I need to use that (or something similar) to connect to each other all my music softwares (Ableton Live, Logic, Pd, other stuff. What I did is:
- install Sunflower and Soundflowerbed
- select Soundflower 16ch as input/output device in System preferencies/Sound
- select Soundflower 16ch as input/output device in each application, when possible
The problem is that it doesn't appear any audio software in Soundflowerbed channels, when I want to assign. It seems that Soundflower doesn't connect with anything. I have tried to uninstall but everything is the same. Also, Cycling 74 doesn't give any support.
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance,
Angelo

What are you specifically trying to do? For example, are you trying to record audio from Logic instruments into Live?

If you list what specific things you want to do, I'll try and help you out.

angeloconto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I'm trying to use Ableton Live as the main software, and, through IAC bus, play Logic's Instruments. Then I want to route the audio back to Live and also connect other softwares as Pd to Ableton channels. Soundflower seemed to be good to do this.
Thanks !

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
I'm trying to use Ableton Live as the main software, and, through IAC bus, play Logic's Instruments. Then I want to route the audio back to Live and also connect other softwares as Pd to Ableton channels. Soundflower seemed to be good to do this.
Thanks !

Before getting too complex with your routings, try to confirm a few things are working first. Get the audio working first, then you can make sure the IAC midi is working, then add PD into the mix.

Try this.

1.) Open Ableton FIRST. Let it load all the way.

2.) Now Open Logic. You will be warned that "another rewire host is running", just click Ok.

3.) Set Logic's audio output device to "Soundflower 16ch".

4.) Choose a track in Logic that has audio so you can play back to test in Ableton. Set this tracks output to "Out 3-4".

5.) In Ableton, choose "Soundflower 16ch" as your audio input device.

6.) In Ableton, right below where you choose your input/output devices, click on "input config". Make sure you enable all the soundflower mono and stereo tracks. *This might be where your problem was in the first place. It's easy to forget to enable all the channels.

7.) Now, on an audio channel in Ableton, choose the input as "Ext. in 3/4"
Switch the monitoring for this channel to "In", or just arm the track to record.

8.) Switch back to Logic and play back the audio. You should see and hear it in Ableton now.

Once you have this working, you can set different tracks in Logic to different soundflower outs, so you can record them on individual tracks in Ableton.

I'm not very familiar with PD, only used it once or twice, but you should be able now to set your output to "Soundflower 16ch" and select specific outs so you can run some into Ableton.

This should allow you to have audio streaming in from both Logic and PD into Ableton. You can send midi clock out through IAC bus from Ableton to sync all 3 apps, although you should know there will be some latency introduced from Soundflower, as well as possible clock drift, so don't expect perfectly tight, sample accurate syncing.

You can use the track delay function on individual tracks in Ableton to help compensate for introduced latencies, it will help.

angeloconto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Well, about Logic and Live everything is fine, thanks. It seems I forgot to enable all the soundflower tracks. With the other softwares there is still a problem. With Pd even if I set soundflower as in/out device it does not appear in soundflowerbed so I cannot assign to any channel. Of course I have already selected Soundflower 16ch as input/output device in System preferencies/Sound. Anyway it goes by default on channels 1/2 but when I listen to the corresponding channel in Live I hear both (and a little delayed). It seems to me a soundflower problem with audio system preferencies. Same happens with Gleetchlab, which has no audio preferencies.

EpochDream

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Soundflower Routing/Noise Issue

I searched for hours trying to find a solution to a soundflower issue with no luck. A friend suggested an idea that he had been shown, perhaps it will solve this issue too.

Setup soundflower as a midi simultaneously with your regular output. Therefore instead of routing through soundflower for your output (which seems to cause the issue), it routes each as their own output. So far seems to be working on my recording meters without the overdrive static. Here is the how to on this.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...the-systems-audio-output-then-we-cant-hear-it

Also, if you are looking for more control I found software from Prosoft that allows for audio adjustment using hear or individual app volume control through hear or soundbunny.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/

Hope this helps everyone!

~Epoch Dream Productions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.