Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:21 PM   #1
robertpetry
macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried Rosetta Stone with Lion?

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a copy of Rosetta Stone Latin American Spanish Version 3 from a friend and I am wondering if it will work with Lion.

Rosetta Stone says nothing is supported on Lion yet so I don't know what to think.

Has anyone tried it?

Thank you.
robertpetry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502a

Roaring Apps shows that Rosetta Stone v. 4 works fine.
http://roaringapps.com/app:721
Bending Pixels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:55 PM   #3
robertpetry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bending Pixels View Post
Right, but no one has added information about version 3 which is what I am looking at.
robertpetry is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:45 PM   #4
DerekHostalek
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to DerekHostalek
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpetry View Post
Right, but no one has added information about version 3 which is what I am looking at.
bump.

Same problem... I'm in the middle of trying to learn spanish, and I really want to install lion, but if V3 of Rosetta Stone isn't supported, I will have to wait. That ****'s expensive.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:05 PM   #5
jpbertram5
macrumors newbie

Installed Lion this morning and just tested my Rosetta Stone v3. Works same as before!
jpbertram5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Sokar117
macrumors newbie

i can concur to the last post. installed Lion anD rosetta stone v3 is working just fine.
Sokar117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:10 PM   #7
ace-tone
macrumors newbie

Rosetta 3.4.5 is working fine, except I'm having problems getting my headset to work. I'm able to use it with the built-in mic and speaker, but I can't pass the microphone check when using my Logitech ClearChat USB. The dialog box grays out upon asking me to speak "1,2,3,4,5". In the Sound preferences panel the headset detects fine.

Are you guys having luck with your headsets?
ace-tone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:16 PM   #8
MAGNUStm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bending Pixels View Post
Thank you for the link. I just found the answer to my post.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Mazeman
macrumors member

Called Rosetta Stone and they said version 3 should work.

I installed Lion, and they were correct. No problems.
Mazeman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:20 PM   #10
phystad
macrumors newbie

Rosetta Stone 3 Works on Lion BUT no Audio/Mic

Rosetta Stone 3 works on LION on my system but there are no recognized microphones. When the Microphone setup page is displayed, the list of available microphone input devices is empty and the refresh button does nothing to change that.

However, I have two recognized and working microphones on this iMac. One is the regular internal iMac microphone and the other is the Rosetta Stone supplied headset with microphone. They both work, they are both recognized by the System Preferences box but they DO NOT show up in Rosetta Stone.
phystad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:02 AM   #11
zomgbie
macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue with Rosetta Stone not recognizing input devices in Lion. Line-in and built in microphone both work in all other apps I've tried. I did some searching, tried the Line-in and Soundflower combination to see if Rosetta would recognize those, but no dice.

Anyone gotten their input devices to show up in Rosetta?
zomgbie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:03 AM   #12
rollzst
macrumors member

I just installed Lion. I am having the same issues with rosetta stone detecting no microphone. When i go into preferences within rosetta stone the drop down box for me to select a mic is completely empty. I have tried using sound flower and nothing seems to work. Anyone called rosetta stone about this? I really hope there is a fix for this as i don't want to have to downgrade to snow leopard but will have no choice if i can't find a fix.
http://www.integratech.co.uk
rollzst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:46 AM   #13
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

If your having problems with the Audio just use the settings to point the program to the proper devices
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:11 AM   #14
rollzst
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
If your having problems with the Audio just use the settings to point the program to the proper devices
the problem is the option to set the microphone is a drop down box which will not let us select anything
rollzst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:49 AM   #15
rollzst
macrumors member

bump

someone surely must know how to fix this?
rollzst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:33 PM   #16
zomgbie
macrumors newbie

I emailed Rosetta, and their reply was to upgrade to v4 from 3.4.5, but the input devices still would not show. I've tried everything I can think of to try to get the settings panel to recognize any input devices, but no luck yet.

My solution finally was to just downgrade back to 3.4.5 and turn off speech recognition, which really sucks. I just pause on the screens where the recognition would have taken place and practice the speech on my own.

It appears Rosetta is aware of the issue though, according to the sentence at the bottom of this page http://support.rosettastone.com/ics/...81+77+68+26+21
zomgbie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:52 PM   #17
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

They seem to have 1-2 guys working on the app at any given time. Releases are too few and far in-between. I hope an update optimizes the program (it sits at 6-10% at idle) and support the new lion full screen API.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:35 PM   #18
F48
macrumors newbie

Rosetta Stone Fix

Hi,
Some of you are discussing a problem where your microphones are no longer visible in the list of microphones after upgrading to OS 10.7. At least in my case I was able to upgrade to the most current version of rosetta stone and my microphones are now listed and work fine. I was at V3.4.5 of the Rosetta Stone, here is the link :

http://support.rosettastone.com/link...ation-Versions

Just download and install the new version.

iMac V10.7
F48 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:50 PM   #19
Clint007
macrumors member

What is Rosetta

From Wikipedia

Rosetta is a lightweight dynamic translator for Mac OS X distributed by Apple. It enabled applications compiled for the PowerPC family of processors to run on Apple systems that use Intel processors. Rosetta was based on Transitive Corporation's QuickTransit technology,[1] and was a key part of Apple's strategy for the transition of their Macintosh line from PowerPC to Intel processors as it enables pre-existing Mac OS X software to run on the new platform without modification.

Rosetta has no GUI, leading Apple to describe Rosetta as "the most amazing software you'll never see".[2]

The name is likely a reference to the Rosetta Stone, the discovery of which made it possible to comprehend and translate Egyptian hieroglyphs.

In Mac OS X v10.6 ("Snow Leopard"), Rosetta is not included by default but there is an option in the installer for the user to include it or it could be automatically downloaded by the system if needed at a later time.

Mac OS X v10.7 ("Lion") does not include or support Rosetta. Therefore, Lion drops support for all PowerPC applications.[3]

Clint007 is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 09:24 AM   #20
saigonscott
macrumors newbie

Rosetta Stone- Fatal Program Error with Lion

I recently installed Lion on MacBook Pro 2.4 GH Intel i5. Have been having problems with Lion but worst was with Rosetta Stone V4 Vietnamese. First few times everything worked fine. Last night I was using Rosetta and walked away for computer for about 15 minutes and when I came back had black screen. It was like my computer was toast. Wouldn't refresh, black screen, and wouldn't reboot. After about 3 attempts of holding start button, the system slowly came up. When it came up I got the message "Fatal Program Error". I am still in the process of finding out what caused that. My advice is don't leave the program open and walk away from it. Close it.
Now, on to a thread to find out why Mail won't close and can't shutdown normally...
saigonscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:25 AM   #21
luke.mac1
macrumors member

I had problems with the microphone too but I found if you go into system preferences -> sound -> click on internal mic and set the volume to half, it sorted out the mic problems...
Old Aug 9, 2011, 05:05 AM   #22
Flaxxx
macrumors newbie

My version was 3.3.7

After a clean install of Lion, I had to reinstall my programs and installed Rosetta Stone 3.3.7.

Microphones didn't show up.

I updated to 3.4.5, restarted, and now the microphones are showing.
Flaxxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 09:24 AM   #23
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint007 View Post
From Wikipedia

Rosetta is a lightweight dynamic translator for Mac OS X distributed by Apple. [B]It enabled applica...
While this is correct, the thread is about Rosetta Stone which is an application written to help people learn other languages. The OSx Rosetta extension has nothing to do with the Rosetta Stone user application.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:08 PM   #24
Matthew Lococo
macrumors newbie

Rosetta stone 3 work around for usb headset

Hi everyone,

This is a convoluted one so hold on to your seats.

You need sound flower and LineIn for this to keep Rosetta Stone from changing the Sample Rate of your USB Headset to 16kHz. In LineIn make the input from field your USB Microphone then make the output to Sound Flower 2ch then select Pass Thru. In both the Sound Flower and USB setting in the Utility Audio MIDI setup make sure that everything is 44.1kHz Make sure Rosetta stone is pointed to Sound Flower 2ch.

You sound output can remain the USB Headset. The software bug is Rosetta Stone changing the input to 16kHz and then Rosetta Stone does nothing after that. Sound flower and LineIn run interference to keep it from doing that

Worked for me!
good luck!

Last edited by Matthew Lococo; Aug 27, 2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: additional info
Matthew Lococo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:02 PM   #25
drbrog
macrumors member

try the solution here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
drbrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store