Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mirrors

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Earth
Note: this tutorial is for Snow Leopard.
YES IT DOES WORK FOR LION

First download the app from pcsx2mac.net:
http://pcsx2mac.net/files/pcsx2SL.pkg

Then download NVidia CG Framework:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cg_download.html
You will have to make an account if you don't have one already, it's free regardless.

Install both packages and then start PCSX2
NOTE: You will need to download Bios for the emulator which you find easily with the help of Google.

So first go to Config/Configure this is what it should look like:
u5BMH.png

To get your bios just press "Select Bios Dir(as in Directory)" and then choose the folder with the bios that you downloaded.

GRAPHICS:
This is what the graphics should look like:(For certain games pay attention to the bottom, you can go through a check list that will fix games like Kingdom Hearts and what not so it's not so choppy)
ifwp0.png

Also the widescreen and choice in Resolution doesn't matter, I just like it that way ;)

SOUND:
vsx6c.png

FIRST CONTROLLER:
Controller settings are really up to you, if you can get a gamepad that works with your mac then I'd use that. But these are my settings(they're close to Assassins Creed 2 if you've ever played that on the Mac)
LlvBg.png

EDIT: Notice for "Select" and "Triangle" I have both set to "V", that was a mistake, change Select to something like M(since Start is N).

Leave everything else the same(just don't forget to set your Bios Directory)
After all that you're ready to play a game. Press OK to save your settings.

Click File/Run ISO Image
Then find wherever you downloaded your ISO. For some reason the mac version always starts you out at /Applications/pcsx2.app/Contents/Resources/pcsx2
so you'll have to click that and then "/" to take you back and then choose "Users/" then you're name/ and from there it's wherever you put it for me I made a folder named "PS2 Isos"

From there select your game and press OK, enjoy playing :)
WNNIA.jpg

For games that are different language like Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+ which is Japanese, you'll have to set your Bios to Japanese.
FOR BIOS AND GAMES USE GOOGLE, DUH GUYS.
Hope I helped at all.

Last edited:

Xeno-V

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Nice guide, I will check it out again when I get my first MBP (probably I' ll get the base 15'' by the end of the month).

How does the emulator run in OSX? Is it equal to the Windows build or worse?
I hope that it will run well with the base model's 6490M. because as far as I know most emulators performance mostly depends on the CPU and not on the GPU.

Mirrors

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Earth
I'm running on a new Macbook Pro(15 inch, 1gig vid card) and it works great but like with any game it makes the Mac HOT. Like really hot.
And the only downside is it doesn't have that many options for plugins, what you download with it is what you get. And some games(aka .hack//Gu vol 1 >.> ) don't work on it.

But I've got RE:COM and KH2FM+ running perfectly at 60fps with those settings and if you press "Tab" it speeds the emulator up twice as much so sometimes I'll get 120-150fps.

It's pretty awesome, but I suggest that you keep your Mac plugged in while playing because it will use up your battery.

Xeno-V

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Thanks for the info.
Did you try to run PCSX2 in bootcamp?
I don't know if it's worth it, but at least you 'll get the best and easiest to customize version of the emulator.
I 'll try the OSX build first of course, but if I am not satisfied I will also give the Windows build a go.

Mirrors

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Earth
I did not try bootcamp since I just got my mac and don't feel like installing windows :p

Also I believe it can run FFX but you have to go through that checklist and there's one of the things that needs to be selected to fix some issues with it.

If you play FFXII then try the International version that has the english patch(again, google).
I'm going to try that tomorrow along with Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja 5.
Just make sure when you're choosing a game to pick the right bio that goes with it's region.

Xeno-V

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
FF12 International will be the first game that I am gonna try, so I will looking forward to your feedback.
Other games that I will try include Persona 4 and Valkyrie Profile 2.

Mirrors

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Earth
FFXII International Zodiac whatever works except during the FMV sequences(the CGI scenes in the beginning and such) the audio sorta lags.
Won't be able to try the Naruto game till tomorrow.
EDIT: Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja 5 does not work.
EDIT EDIT: Shadow of Colossus(PAL) does not work.

Last edited:

KingofGLory

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
I used this guide and put PCSX2 on my Macbook Pro that I recently bought in June. When running KH2FM+ it runs very smoothly but how do I fix the audio lag? All my settings are the same to yours.

Mirrors

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Earth
In the advanced option go through the list till you see one that lists games like Kingdom Hearts. That's what worked for me.

Mirrors

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Earth
I went to advance options but there was nothing concerning kingdom hearts there

ifwp0.png

Under Advanced Options and scroll down and look through the list, it gives a description under each option and sometimes list games that it's for, one of which is for "Games like Kingdom Hearts" or something.

I can't open pcsx2 anymore since I upgraded to Lion.

KingofGLory

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
I'm actually running this emulator on Lion right now and the option I checked off didn't help the problem of the sound.

Mirrors

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Earth
I'm actually running this emulator on Lion right now and the option I checked off didn't help the problem of the sound.

Maybe it's an issue with Lion but I can't get it to start for me now.
EDIT: My mistake, yes it works perfectly in Lion but I don't understand why that's happening to you.

Last edited:

JdD1992

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
Pcsx2 Failure

I'm running on Lion and as the tutorial states 'it works on lion' but when I try to open pcsx2 in applications after following the tutorial it just jumps on my doc and when you click on the icon it disappears. Can you please help? :confused::confused::confused::confused: Want to play Gran Turismo 2. :( I can't even get to the configure screen.:eek:

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for the guide. Will try it in a few minutes. Though I do not condone piracy, and highly recommend that you play your own games.

Didn't work for me.

Last edited:

Mirrors

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Earth
Thanks for the guide. Will try it in a few minutes. Though I do not condone piracy, and highly recommend that you play your own games.

Didn't work for me.
If you're trying a disc versus a .iso that's why.
The PCSX2 Mac version is very limited versus the PC. So I suggest if you have bootcamp to install the pc version.

The mac one doesn't even have Full Screen and that's a deal breaker for me.

BIOS=DEATH

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Ohio
Help!

I know this is an oldish thread but i need help. I've followed the tutorial as instructed but when i try to open pcsx2 it just bounces up and down, then when i click it again it just disappears. I'm at a loss on how to solve this issue, this forum is my only hope. Im running a macbook os x lion 10.7.5.

please if anybody has any ideas help me out, i would greatly appreciate it.

lochedlock

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Persona 3 FES and Persona 4

Hey! Thanks for the advice! It really sped up the fps to around 60 for the intro screen, but still craps out once the 3D models are introduced in the games + conversations with other characters. Speaking of which, the 3D models in the games the games themselves don't actually appear... instead, a black screen appears in its place (with only the text at the top right, the dialogue box, and the character portrait appearing). Can you help me?? I really want to play these 2 games again, but on the go....

timiscute

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
I know this is an oldish thread but i need help. I've followed the tutorial as instructed but when i try to open pcsx2 it just bounces up and down, then when i click it again it just disappears. I'm at a loss on how to solve this issue, this forum is my only hope. Im running a macbook os x lion 10.7.5.

please if anybody has any ideas help me out, i would greatly appreciate it.

I am having the same issue but I'm running on Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Can we get any help? I really want to be able to play FFXII when I'm out.

~Tim

Anneven

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Hey! Thx for the tutorial! really worked out!

I just have a problem... I started playing KH and i move forward and it just quits by itself i have no idea on how to fix this problem :(:(:( I would really really appreciate if u could help me out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.