Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
I have found a deal on Craigslist for someone wanting to trade their PowerMac G5 for an iPad. But I'm not sure if its worth it, seeing as the G5 is so uncompatible now adays.

The G5 specs are as follow:
Dual 2Ghz
4 GB RAM
2 - 160GB HDD

Airport Card, Keyboard & Mouse.
Installed with Leopard 10.5

He also had a 23" Samsung Monitor, but IDK if I was getting that if I traded for the iPad.

Now, the issue I'm having with deciding is wether or not its WORTH giving up my iPad. I already have an iPhone and MacBook (White Unibody) but I think it'd be nice to have a powerful Mac Desktop. If I had the money, I would just go off and buy a nice new iMac, but I don't have that money. Trading straight across for my iPad seems like a great deal. Well I think it is.

What I'm really not sure about is how outdated is the G5 REALLY. I owned quite a few old G4s (eMacs, iBook) and they didnt do too well with Flash (but really, what does do well?!?).
If anyone who owns a G5 could tell me how well it does with Flash, mostly YouTube, that would be great.

If I did get the G5, I would certainly max out the HDDs eventually so I could store all my Photography and Videos. And then probably upgrade the RAM some too.

So, can you tell me, is a G5 PowerMac a good trade for a 1st Gen iPad?

--- Sorry if this is a long explanation, I'm not good at typing short and to the point questions ---

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
A Google search shows stores sell the computer for between $300-500.

It can run osx 105.x, but Not 10.6/Lion. So newer versions of software may not be available.

If hard disks fail, may be hard to find replacement drives unless you get a faster pci IDE/sata card,...

Why don't you just get a good monitor and extra keybard/mouse for your laptop as it's more modern...

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
I didn't think my laptop was really as fast as the big G5. Maybe I will just stay with my laptop. Maybe MAX it's RAM to 8gb. That'd certainly make it faster.
And I just realized that the G5 doesn't have the 4 HDD slots like the Mac Pro. That kind of defeats me putting 8TB in it then...

Thanks.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
I didn't think my laptop was really as fast as the big G5. Maybe I will just stay with my laptop. Maybe MAX it's RAM to 8gb. That'd certainly make it faster.
And I just realized that the G5 doesn't have the 4 HDD slots like the Mac Pro. That kind of defeats me putting 8TB in it then...

Thanks.

what are the specs of your MB?

dohyoungkims

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
I have a G5 2Ghz 4GB RAM and 160GB Hard drive. I would be up for the trade if you are still thinking about it..It's running fine but I do not have a monitor, just the tower. Let me know if you are interested. I live in Saint Louis. 314.358.7480 -doh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.