Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Apr 5, 2005, 02:55 PM   #1
pbfreak
macrumors newbie

2 Computers?

I am 16, and live with both my mom and my dad, as they are divorced. This means I have 2 computers I regularly use, but iTunes says I can only register my iPod to one of the computers...was Apple just not thinking of the "unfortunate" people like me who are stuck with 2 computers? Is there anyway to go around this?
pbfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 02:57 PM   #2
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

you can only sync your iPod with one library, the reasoning behind this i believe is so that you dont go to a friends house and put his library onto your iPod

your best bet is to try and consolidate your library onto one of the computers and use only that machine to sync with your iPod
PlaceofDis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 03:00 PM   #3
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

There are hacks to do this. I don't know how legal they are, or even if we can talk about them on this forum. Try this site: iPod Lounge. They have a lot of good iPod info. If not, try google.
grapes911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 03:50 PM   #4
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Seriously?

Turn off automatic updating.
Plug in iPod, open iTunes, click on the iPod on the left. Look for the button in the right corner furthest from the corner (looks like a little iPod). Turn off the automatic sync, then manually select the playlists or just drag songs onto it.
Repeat on the second computer.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 04:24 PM   #5
pbfreak
macrumors newbie

No need to be snappy...not everyone can be as smart as you.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 04:31 PM   #6
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfreak
No need to be snappy...not everyone can be as smart as you.
I apologize, I wasn't meaning to be snappy. It was typed with a wry grin on my face. I was only trying to convey how simple it was once it was demonstrated.
Hell, I didn't know this trick either until I worked for Apple, but lemme tell ya, it's damn useful.
Let me know if you run into any problems.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 04:41 PM   #7
pbfreak
macrumors newbie

No problem...I'll be travelling to the other household in an hour or two, so I'll post from there once I try and get the songs off the iPod onto that library.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 07:52 PM   #8
pbfreak
macrumors newbie

Well, I'm here...I bought a couple songs on computer number one, dragged them onto the iPod. Disconnected, came here. Songs are on the iPod...but I can't figure out how to get them into the library over here on computer number two...any suggestions?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 08:08 PM   #9
Josh396
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfreak
Well, I'm here...I bought a couple songs on computer number one, dragged them onto the iPod. Disconnected, came here. Songs are on the iPod...but I can't figure out how to get them into the library over here on computer number two...any suggestions?
To do that you're going to have to enable disk use on the iPod and copy the song file to the iPod. When you get to the second computer just go to Add To Library under file and select the song from iPod. Make sure you have iTunes set up to "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" and the song should be there. That feature is enabled under advanced in iTunes preferences.

So you're going to have to wait until you get back to the first computer in order to do so. It may seem a little confusing so if you don't understand and I'll try to explain it more. Hope it helps.
Josh396 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 08:45 PM   #10
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Yeah...

Ya can't get them off the iPod unless you try something from versiontracker.com...it's illegal anyway, but why don't you just add the songs to your iPod from both computers? That seems easier...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod