Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Hello , I am looking for a portable headphone amp to go alone with an ipod ( looking at buying the Classic ipod 160g i think)

Which are the few good portable headphone amps that looks / goes well along with the ipod?

Main headphone will be using is hd25.

Thanks guys!

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I personally use the FiiO E5 with my iPod Classic, nice and portable looks like a little shuffle, USB Chargable and has a button for extra bass.

It is a hit and miss for me, it makes my Bose Around the Ears sound much better and have better bass response and even my cheap Koss KSC-75s sound better, but my Sennheiser HD485 it completely destroys the sound balance on them.

So your mileage may vary, I mean FiiO and custom made portable ones you find on eBay are the only real options I see out there as far as portable amps go.

susannahyork

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2005
If you don't need a usb dac, get the fiio e11 over the e7, it is cheaper too at about 65$. Another option around that price is a cmoy, they are the amps in altoid cans, you can find a bunch on ebay, but I've heard good things about JDS labs cmoyBB.

If you want really good audio advice check out the forums on head-fi.

Oh, and with whatever you get us a lod, so that you bypass the ipods internal amp. Fiio makes some good ones, like the L9.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I've just bought a FiiO E5 a few hours ago in Amazon UK to use with my HD 448. I'll let you know how they work out.

Several people recommend using it with a direct dock-connector to amplifier cable (therefore bypassing the built-in amplifier of the iPhone/iPod), but I'm not using it only with my iPhone, so I didn't splurge for it.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I still have to make my mind

UPDATE: I'll try to put in words my thoughts on the Fiio E5. I don't know If I'll be capable of doing it succesfully.

So, the Fiio E5 arrived today, I've been using it the last few hours on my laptop, and altough I'm not exactly dissapointed, I must say I was overly more excited before getting it than now that it is here.

Comparing the sounds side to side (the sound of different genres of music with and without the amp) I can say that the amp sound is definitively Warmer (Does everyone understand when I say that the mid's have more "punch"?) and gives the soundstage a richer continuity from bass to treble, it is like fuller. You can listen the difference mainly on vocals, and in classical music and acoustic genres.

I don't know if I like it more than the sound of the HD448 connected directly to the laptop. I guess so. I'll keep you posted when I test it with the iPad and the iPhone.

Last edited:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Could you please elaborate a little more on what you mean by destroying the sound balance? Is it the left-right balance? Or more like a frequency balance?

Thanks. I think I'm getting paranoid. :D

Frequency balance, Lows take a front seat to mids and highs when I use it on that particular set.

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
If you don't need a usb dac, get the fiio e11 over the e7, it is cheaper too at about 65$. Another option around that price is a cmoy, they are the amps in altoid cans, you can find a bunch on ebay, but I've heard good things about JDS labs cmoyBB.

If you want really good audio advice check out the forums on head-fi.

Oh, and with whatever you get us a lod, so that you bypass the ipods internal amp. Fiio makes some good ones, like the L9.

What is Usb Dac , sorry im a newbie in this.

flaneur

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2009
What is Usb Dac , sorry im a newbie in this.

DAC is digital to analog converter. A USB DAC takes your computer's digital signal and converts it to audio itself, rather than using the computer's own DAC. It should give a better result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.