Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, Apple began inviting developers to submit their OS X Lion apps for inclusion in the Mac App Store, preparing to populate the store with apps capable of taking advantage of some of the new features being deployed in the new operating system.

It's only been a few days, but Apple is already beginning to approve those Lion-capable apps, as noted by OS X Daily in the case of WordCrasher [Mac App Store].
WordCrasher now takes advantage of new OS X Lion features:

- Full-screen. Use the full-screen button or press CONTROL + COMMAND + F to toggle fullscreen mode under OS X Lion.
- Resume. Close WordCrasher at any time and resume your game right where you left it. Restart your Mac, and WordCrasher will resume straight away.
Several other recent app updates have mentioned fixing issues with performance under Lion, but WordCrasher appears to be the first third-party app update to be approved specifically mentioning Lion-only features. Apple has pushed out a number of updates for its own apps this week, including the iLife '11 suite and Aperture, with those updates also quietly adding Lion-only features such as full-screen support.

Article Link: Apple Approving Mac App Store Apps for OS X Lion

MacFever

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
I noticed Little Snitch was updated to 2.4 on the 13th July with LION support.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
No offense, but I dislike how "full screen apps" is listed as a feature :confused:

It sort of is a new feature, even though much if it's functionality could be achieved before (I.e. Enlarge any app to full screen and put it in it's own space), the "new" feature does make it a lot easier to achieve this.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
i feel like apple is now waiting for the devs. they are going to want a majority of apps in the mac app store ready for lion. i feel when they reach the magic number they will release it. if not then it will be as late in july as possible. there might be a few bugs that apple is still ironing out but it should be nearly complete.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
It sort of is a new feature, even though much if it's functionality could be achieved before (I.e. Enlarge any app to full screen and put it in it's own space), the "new" feature does make it a lot easier to achieve this.

Actually, fullscreen in Lion is a lot different, Apps can be made so that they have their own fullscreen UI (for example safari auto hides the bookmarks bar) and it now hides the dock AND menubar, filling the screen with the app that's been full screened.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Actually, fullscreen in Lion is a lot different, Apps can be made so that they have their own fullscreen UI (for example safari auto hides the bookmarks bar) and it now hides the dock AND menubar, filling the screen with the app that's been full screened.

Agreed, as I said, most of it's functionality could be achieved before, not all. :)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

I mean how it's one of the selling points for Lion.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Agreed, as I said, most of it's functionality could be achieved before, not all. :)

Fair enough, I suppose iPhoto had fullscreen support before as well. Either way, I love the way it's done in Lion, and can't wait till all my favourite apps have it. It comes in massive handy on a 13" MBP.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Fair enough, I suppose iPhoto had fullscreen support before as well. Either way, I love the way it's done in Lion, and can't wait till all my favourite apps have it. It comes in massive handy on a 13" MBP.

Yeah, I can't wait to see how it looks on the 11" MBA, I might just have to trade in my brand new MBP for an air!

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
i feel like apple is now waiting for the devs. they are going to want a majority of apps in the mac app store ready for lion. i feel when they reach the magic number they will release it. if not then it will be as late in july as possible. there might be a few bugs that apple is still ironing out but it should be nearly complete.

I think most devs are ready - they have been working with the incremental releases all along and have had the gm for some time... The bottleneck will be the appstore review process, and this seems to be moving swiftly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.