Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jul 14, 2011, 04:17 PM   #1
bollweevil
macrumors 6502

How to play music while my laptop is closed?

I use my MacBook Pro (Early 2011 edition, OS X 10.6.8) to play music as I go to sleep, and on various other occasions. The music plays in iTunes, and it comes out of an AirPort Express thanks to AirTunes. I like to keep the laptop on my bedside table.

However, my cat loves to walk on the keyboard and trackpad, and sleep on them (they are nice and warm, and also close the head of her favorite human), and she sometimes even closes the screen. She learned to push the screen closed when she wants my attention.

So I want to close the laptop preemptively, that way she can't type things and mess stuff up. But closing the laptop makes iTunes pause.

How do I keep iTunes from pausing, even as I close and reopen the laptop?

Thanks.
bollweevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 04:21 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display
or
InsomniaX
or
InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:13 PM   #3
orfeas0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollweevil View Post
I use my MacBook Pro (Early 2011 edition, OS X 10.6.8) to play music as I go to sleep, and on various other occasions. The music plays in iTunes, and it comes out of an AirPort Express thanks to AirTunes. I like to keep the laptop on my bedside table.

However, my cat loves to walk on the keyboard and trackpad, and sleep on them (they are nice and warm, and also close the head of her favorite human), and she sometimes even closes the screen. She learned to push the screen closed when she wants my attention.

So I want to close the laptop preemptively, that way she can't type things and mess stuff up. But closing the laptop makes iTunes pause.

How do I keep iTunes from pausing, even as I close and reopen the laptop?

Thanks.
LoL my friend had a cat that liked his macbook too! It would step on the keyboard all the time etc, but yours sounds pretty smart too (closing the lid ).
It seems cats love macs!
orfeas0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:51 PM   #4
sdtaco
macrumors newbie

Download InsomniaX and run it in the background.
sdtaco is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro