Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seattle29

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
My sister is currently running Leopard 10.5.8 on her MacBook 4,1 (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM).

She's bought the Snow Leopard upgrade/retail disk (the $29 one), and the installation starts ok. But when it restarts to continue the installation, a screen comes up asking "select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X". But the list is blank and her hard drive isn't listed in there. In the first part of the installation (before restarting), we already chose where to install it (the hard drive labelled Macintosh HD).

I went into Disk Utility and the hard drive is formatted in Mac OS Extended Journal with GUID partioning, so I can't understand why the installer won't recognise it. There's only one partition, and it's formatted correctly as it's been running Leopard on an Intel processor for 2 years. I've also repaired permissions and verified the disk, it's all ok.

Any solutions? We don't really want to format the entire drive and do a clean install, we want to do the upgrade if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.