Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Clmacx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Saving MP3 files directly to your Iphone Library

Hi All,
I know there is many many Apps that let you download Mp3 files but I cant seem to find one that will let you "Save an emailed MP3 attachment DIRECTLY to the music library on my iPhone". Make sence? I DO NOT want to save the music within a "App". That defeats what I am trying to do.... I am trying to keep all my music in one place. I just want to "click" on my Ipod icon on my iPhone and boom....All my music.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
Clmacx
Clmacx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmacx View Post
Hi All,
I know there is many many Apps that let you download Mp3 files but I cant seem to find one that will let you "Save an emailed MP3 attachment DIRECTLY to the music library on my iPhone". Make sence? I DO NOT want to save the music within a "App". That defeats what I am trying to do.... I am trying to keep all my music in one place. I just want to "click" on my Ipod icon on my iPhone and boom....All my music.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
Clmacx
email it to your house email, import file to itunes then, add to your music on your phone
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:05 AM   #3
FSMBP
macrumors 68020
 
FSMBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmacx View Post
Hi All,
I know there is many many Apps that let you download Mp3 files but I cant seem to find one that will let you "Save an emailed MP3 attachment DIRECTLY to the music library on my iPhone". Make sence? I DO NOT want to save the music within a "App". That defeats what I am trying to do.... I am trying to keep all my music in one place. I just want to "click" on my Ipod icon on my iPhone and boom....All my music.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
Clmacx
You can't do that. You can only do that through the iTunes Music Store. That sucks because a lot of my friend's bands put their music to download for free off their sites, but I can't directly download into my iPod App.

And others, please don't turn this into "Stop stealing music & just download from iTunes". Well, I prefer Amazon.com's cheaper MP3s and better deals - it's still legal but won't download into my iPod app. Or some artists put free singles on their site.
__________________
Still don't get why I can't save a Word File from an email on my iPhone without some third-party app.
FSMBP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:11 AM   #4
kicko
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I dont think there is a way to move them into itunes like you request but most download apps let you share/copy the data (mp3's in this case) to your computer. I usually copy them to the desktop and then import them back into itunes. Its very easy!

Whats wrong with playing from inside the download app? the one i use is almost as nice as the ipod player anyways.
kicko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Clmacx
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I agree FSMBP....This is not about stealing music, I pay for my music its just that I was away from my computer (out of town) and had my wife email a song to me. After opening the song, I could not save it to my library...See my delimma?
Thank you!
Clmacx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:23 AM   #6
decafjava
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Geneva
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
You can't do that. You can only do that through the iTunes Music Store. That sucks because a lot of my friend's bands put their music to download for free off their sites, but I can't directly download into my iPod App.

And others, please don't turn this into "Stop stealing music & just download from iTunes". Well, I prefer Amazon.com's cheaper MP3s and better deals - it's still legal but won't download into my iPod app. Or some artists put free singles on their site.
Err you do know you can import MP3s from Amazon or other bandsites or rip CDs through itunes right? Just add it to your library.

I've added free music from a local band from my howmtown as well as tons of CDs and stuff I've downloaded so I don't know what the issue is.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
so I don't know what the issue is.
The issue is that you need a computer with you to do that.

I also hate it whenever my iPhone forces me to remember to do something later.
Small White Car is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:44 AM   #8
g35
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
Err you do know you can import MP3s from Amazon or other bandsites or rip CDs through itunes right? Just add it to your library.

I've added free music from a local band from my howmtown as well as tons of CDs and stuff I've downloaded so I don't know what the issue is.
he wants to skip the computer part and just add the music through mail app on his iphone
g35 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:07 AM   #9
decafjava
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Geneva
Ok I get it-maybe with ios 5 and icloud when it coms out? For now I guess not.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Skika
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I think that kinda feature is certainly required if someone wants to go pc free.
I think they should include it in iOS 5.
__________________
MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone
Skika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:19 AM   #11
FSMBP
macrumors 68020
 
FSMBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
I think that kinda feature is certainly required if someone wants to go pc free.
I think they should include it in iOS 5.
They should, but they are not
__________________
Still don't get why I can't save a Word File from an email on my iPhone without some third-party app.
FSMBP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:22 AM   #12
CmdrThor
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
I think that kinda feature is certainly required if someone wants to go pc free.
I think they should include it in iOS 5.
You can go PC free and buy everything from the iTunes store.
CmdrThor is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Clmacx
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Once again Apple tells me what I can and can not do with a product I purchased from them...Its frustrating. I just wish they would give us the option to pay for "A" specific want. Its apparently all about the $$..... It is what it is.

I really appreciate the input guys.
Clmacx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:46 AM   #14
Clmacx
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Correct g35.... Thats exactly what I want to do. I am really supprised there isnt a "Cydia" release to do just this.
Clmacx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:47 AM   #15
Abs_p
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well if u jailbreak gremlin/pwntunes allows you to import mp3s directly..
Abs_p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:50 AM   #16
Clmacx
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs_p View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well if u jailbreak gremlin/pwntunes allows you to import mp3s directly..
Directly to your iPhone music directory so I can click on the Ipod icon and the music appears there?
Clmacx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:51 AM   #17
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmacx View Post
Once again Apple tells me what I can and can not do with a product I purchased from them...Its frustrating. I just wish they would give us the option to pay for "A" specific want. Its apparently all about the $$..... It is what it is.

I really appreciate the input guys.
if they only allowed you to play songs from the iTUnes store then yes, but your can import any mp3s to itunes library so whats the problem again?
heisenberg123 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:55 AM   #18
Clmacx
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
if they only allowed you to play songs from the iTUnes store then yes, but your can import any mp3s to itunes library so whats the problem again?
Re-read the original question please.....Thx

"Save an emailed MP3 attachment DIRECTLY to the music library on my iPhone".
Clmacx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:57 AM   #19
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmacx View Post
Re-read the original question please.....Thx

"Save an emailed MP3 attachment DIRECTLY to the music library on my iPhone".
i understand your trying to skip the step of puting on your PC then adding to your itunes library, but you could of done it 10 times over in the amount of time this thread has been going on
heisenberg123 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:58 AM   #20
FSMBP
macrumors 68020
 
FSMBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrThor View Post
You can go PC free and buy everything from the iTunes store.
What about songs not on the iTunes Store? Lots of local bands host their own MP3s (for free) on their sites - you can't be PC free there.
__________________
Still don't get why I can't save a Word File from an email on my iPhone without some third-party app.
FSMBP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:59 AM   #21
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
What about songs not on the iTunes Store? Lots of local bands host their own MP3s (for free) on their sites - you can't be PC free there.
correct, you will always need a PC to do certain things
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:01 AM   #22
Clmacx
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
i understand your trying to skip the step of puting on your PC then adding to your itunes library, but you could of done it 10 times over in the amount of time this thread has been going on
Your missing the question once again....The question wasnt difficult to understand. I was not at a computer and wanted to know if a file was "saveable" to the music directory. I wasnt trying to be confrontational nor create issues. I thought and apparently others did to, that it was worth discussing. Thank you for your input though...
Clmacx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:06 AM   #23
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmacx View Post
Your missing the question once again....The question wasnt difficult to understand. I was not at a computer and wanted to know if a file was "saveable" to the music directory. I wasnt trying to be confrontational nor create issues. I thought and apparently others did to, that it was worth discussing. Thank you for your input though...
gotcha you just made it sould like apple was preventing your from adding your own mp3s, but yes your correct you cant do it without a PC(yet)
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:17 AM   #24
Abs_p
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmacx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs_p View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well if u jailbreak gremlin/pwntunes allows you to import mp3s directly..
Directly to your iPhone music directory so I can click on the Ipod icon and the music appears there?
Well yeah basically.
There is an attachment saver and gremlin or pwntunes. Combine both and u can get songs directly in iPod library :-)
Abs_p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:27 AM   #25
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmacx View Post
Once again Apple tells me what I can and can not do with a product I purchased from them...Its frustrating.
I agreed with your original post, but to complain that the iPhone doesn't do everything that's possible in the world is a bit much. Name me a single electronic device where the designer doesn't tell you what you "can and can not do" with it. That's an imaginary product.

Complaining that Apple doesn't make an imaginary product is a bit much.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Download mp3-files directly to iPhone jkarlsson iPhone 6 May 11, 2014 09:19 AM
Making mp3 copies of my iTunes library, saving to SD card, preserving directories floobie Digital Audio 1 Mar 10, 2014 11:21 AM
Simple question about saving mp3 files to play on ipad marktheharp iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Nov 17, 2013 06:03 PM
iPhone: how to download songs directly to music library? TheShadowXX Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 19 Feb 12, 2013 01:58 PM
How to run iTunes Library directly from an external HDD? Stiltzkin Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Nov 7, 2012 07:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC