Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today issued a media alert announcing details for next Tuesday's release of its financial results for the third fiscal quarter and second calendar quarter of 2011. As usual, the results will be released after the close of Tuesday's trading at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern / 1:30 PM Pacific. Apple's conference call discussing the results will follow at 2:00 PM Pacific and will be available via a live audio webcast. MacRumors will provide running coverage of the conference call highlights.
Apple's conference call webcast discussing Q3 - 2011 financial results will begin at 2:00pm PT/5:00pm ET on Tuesday, July 19, 2011.

Please note that comments made during this call may include forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and that actual results may differ materially from these forward-looking statements. For more information on the factors that could influence results, please refer to Apple's SEC filings.
Apple's third fiscal quarter of 2011 saw the introduction of new Thunderbolt-equipped iMacs in early May, and also marked the first full quarter of availability for the iPad 2. Apple also quietly introduced new Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme base stations near the close of the quarter. Most of the rest of the company's Mac product lines have been awaiting the release of OS X Lion before seeing updates, while the iPhone did not see its traditional June introduction within the quarter.

3q11_earnings_call.jpg

For the quarter, analysts are predicting net earnings of $5.73 per share on revenue of $24.75 billion, above Apple's guidance of $5.03 profit per share on $23 billion of revenue. Apple's year-ago results for the third fiscal quarter of 2010 included net earnings of $3.51 per share on revenue of $15.7 billion.

Article Link: Apple Set to Release Q3 2011 Financial Results on July 19th

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
It's going to be an interesting read!

I'm curious though if they are going to release Lion before or after the announcement though. Many believe (including myself) it would be good "for the numbers" to do it prior to the 19th.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land

I'm curious though if they are going to release Lion before or after the announcement though. Many believe (including myself) it would be good "for the numbers" to do it prior to the 19th.

If Larry Page was the CEO, then he'll probably casually say during the call "We're uploading Lion as we speak".

bawbag

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009

I thought Q3 ended June 30, so it wouldn't make any difference to the numbers. Is that right?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Maybe if Apple were some other company.

Everything I've seen leads me to believe that Apple's execs don't care about little bumps or weird manipulations in stock price like that. They believe that everything will work itself out in the end and aren't interested in those kinds of things.

I thought Q3 ended June 30, so it wouldn't make any difference to the numbers. Is that right?

He's not talking about sales, he's talking about people's excitement over Lion driving the stock up. And that's what I was talking about too...yeah, they may put something on sale at a particular time to get it in the quarter. But I don't think they care too much about pushing the price up on excitement alone. They know Lion will sell in the next quarter and that's what they care about. A $2 bump on 'excitement' doesn't last and doesn't mean anything and I think Apple agrees with that line of thinking.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

I thought i had read once that they never released new stuff so close (prior) to earning results as to not be accused of trying to mess with the numbers? Which is why next weeks release date would make more sense.

Anyway, me, I'm just wishing I'd had cash to invest "back then" :eek:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

They could still just throw out a number like "X million downloaded Lion within 24 hours of release", just to give an idea of how strong a start they have in the next quarter.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007

Once Apple announces the date of their earnings call, they DO NOT RELEASE NEW PRODUCTS until after the call. Not sure why everyone doesn't get this yet. It was obvious that there were not going to be any updates this week because of this.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
My Guess is Lion on Thursday! <---Front Page This

EDIT : My Inside Sources(my gut) Tells me, Apple plans to release New Hardware and Lion next week Thu after the Q3 Report on the Tuesday

There more formal^

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
My Guess is Lion on Thursday! <---Front Page This

EDIT : My Inside Sources(my gut) Tells me, Apple plans to release New Hardware and Lion next week Thu after the Q3 Report on the Tuesday

There more formal^

Likelyhood is Tuesday after the call, a way to end it. Tuesday is also known as the Update day to Apple, iTunes and App Stores.

For Lions release. Hardware Thursday.

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Apple should make a television with built in Apple TV capabilities.

they will.
Look at the great patents Apple have taken for their LCD AppleTV.

This will revolutionize television.

My dream is a retina display TV. Apple can pull this off since they can provide 4K content true iTunes.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Likelyhood is Tuesday after the call, a way to end it. Tuesday is also known as the Update day to Apple, iTunes and App Stores.

For Lions release. Hardware Thursday.

I thought about that but they are going to release the reports after 4:30.

Apple has been known to release things early morning. But yeah that would be awesome if they did on Tuesday at the end of the call

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Steve Jobs health is the most important thing for Apple.

He could announce his resignation and the stock would drop 20%.

Or they could announce a successor in Jonathan Ive and the stock would jump 10%.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Apple's fiscal quarters end on the last Saturday of the month, exactly thirteen weeks except for the odd quarter that has an extra week for the accumulated extra days).

The last day of Q3 FY2011 for Apple was Saturday 25 June 2011.

Anything that happened after that date wouldn't affect Q3 financials.

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
I thought about that but they are going to release the reports after 4:30.

Apple has been known to release things early morning. But yeah that would be awesome if they did on Tuesday at the end of the call

They could release it that morning, because it'd be off limits for the call (meaning they wouldn't have to address the early adopters and the performance of the store ....).
Or in the call, they could give us a solid release date.

At this point, who knows.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Steve Jobs health is the most important thing for Apple.

He could announce his resignation and the stock would drop 20%.

Or they could announce a successor in Jonathan Ive and the stock would jump 10%.
Probably not. I agree with the resignation of Jobs would crash the stock. But I think Ive as CEO would not raise the stock either. Most people see him as not the best candidate as next CEO.

I don't either. For me the best next candidate as CEO is Scott Forstall.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well there we have it.
Financials the 19th.
Lion & MBAs the 26th.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Probably not. I agree with the resignation of Jobs would crash the stock. But I think Ive as CEO would not raise the stock either. Most people see him as not the best candidate as next CEO.

I don't either. For me the best next candidate as CEO is Scott Forstall.
Nah, the leading candidate to replace Steve Jobs as CEO is the guy who has been acting CEO twice: Tim Cook.

Steve: "I'm going away for a while. I think Tim can run the show."
Board of Directors: "Sounds good."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.