Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:43 AM   #1
lizluz
macrumors newbie

Safari canít find the server. Far out.

I know a topic similar to this has probably already been created somewhere in this forum, although everywhere I've looked I can't seem for find a definite answer.
Basically, I use the site stardoll.com. I was using it today, until it just came up with the message:

"Safari canít find the server. Safari canít open the page ďhttp://www.stardoll.com/Ē because Safari canít find the server ďwww.stardoll.comĒ."

I've emptied my cache. Deleted all of my history. Restarted my computer twice. Restarted both my modem and router yet it still comes up with the same message. It won't work in Firefox or Chrome too, and also, when I use the site via a web proxy it does load, but web proxies aren't a long term solution to this problem as they don't correctly display the page (especially because the site heavily relies on Flash and Javascript).

I'd really, really like an answer to this. I use the site daily and I don't have any other computer except this one, and I'm pretty sure this isn't going to fix itself overnight - although if it does I think I'll start singing. Haha.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
lizluz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:47 AM   #2
lfc
macrumors regular

Pretty obvious that it has nothing to do with apps right? It's the sites problem here. You might wanna send them an email

Edit: Try http://www.stardoll.com/en/. The sites working for me
lfc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

The proxy is the issue.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:23 PM   #4
shmegal325i
macrumors member

Use google chrome
shmegal325i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:42 PM   #5
lizluz
macrumors newbie

@lfc

I'm not too sure about that really. I know that there are people suing the site right now because I have friends from the site who are on - no one else is having the same issue. I think it might have something to do with proxies, but I haven't touched a thing to do with them so I'm still left wondering. You can't directly send them e-mails either - you have to use the support section in the site. Sucks really :/

And also, I was using my iPod Touch and that can't seem to connect to the server either which is really odd. The site does usually load on my iPod (even if it does take like, 5 minutes to load properly lol).

@Michaelgtrusa

I was thinking that. But I haven't altered any setting on both my iPod or Mac so I really don't know what's up 0_0

@shmegal325i

Tried that. Wont work.
lizluz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:17 AM   #6
npinpi
macrumors newbie

Had same problem this week. HOURS with tech support with internet and cable provider. Even swapped out my cable modem thinking that would help. FINALLY on live chat with Earthlink I got someone with a brain. Simply had me go to system preferences, network, advanced, DNS tab, and he gave me some specific numbers to put in there. Viola! fixed in less than two minutes! I googled to find out what DNS was about and it was something about not being able to translate the website addresses properly. Anyway, a really easy fix. Just call your internet provider and tell them you need to new DNS addresses.
npinpi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store