Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
Edit: This game is now Free 2 Play, Test it out now

Hey, i just wanted to let you know that Heroes of Newerth is on sale for only $10.
(uncheck the "Yes, Purchase The $20 Coin Package")

Heroes of Newerth (HoN) is a science fantasy, action real-time strategy game developed by S2 Games for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. The game was heavily inspired by the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne custom map, Defense of the Ancients and is S2 Games' first game title in the Dota genre.

Last edited:

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
When i create an account it says $30 still, is there a demo for this at all so I can at least try it first?

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
How's this compare to League of Legends, assuming you (or someone else) has played both?

I've been playing League of Legends for a while, and I've really enjoyed it.
In my mind League of Legends (HON) is a bit more hardcore, its less forgiving. But that also makes it more fun. I also like the more real graphics compares to League of Legends Cartonish. You also dont have to level up your accout or buy alot of heros to be competetive.

Heroes of Newerth still use micro transactions but thats just cosmetica and nothing game breaking like League of Legends.

I have played both League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth i have to say i prefer Heroes of Newerth.

When i create an account it says $30 still, is there a demo for this at all so I can at least try it first?
Strange, have been working for other people. Are you sure that you are using my link?
Some times there are a few trails periods but not at the moment, but for $10 you dont need to test it :D

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
In my mind League of Legends (HON) is a bit more hardcore, its less forgiving. But that also makes it more fun. I also like the more real graphics compares to League of Legends Cartonish. You also dont have to level up your accout or buy alot of heros to be competetive.

Heroes of Newerth still use micro transactions but thats just cosmetica and nothing game breaking like League of Legends.

I have played both League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth i have to say i prefer Heroes of Newerth.

Strange, have been working for other people. Are you sure that you are using my link?
Some times there are a few trails periods but not at the moment, but for $10 you dont need to test it :D

When I fill in my info and click accept terms, it takes me to the next page which has the price listed as $10 but before i get the chance to click anything it refreshes itself to $30.

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
When I fill in my info and click accept terms, it takes me to the next page which has the price listed as $10 but before i get the chance to click anything it refreshes itself to $30.

Make sure to remove the deal with gold coins for $20 then the account should be $10.

qrlxj6.png

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
What a waste of $10 so far.

The tutorial is completely broken, you start it, it says one line about you dying and then the game freezes and you have to force quit. This happens for windows users too.

If you are completely new to this game please avoid it and do not waste your money.

My only option now is to go straight into online competitive matches with not the slightest clue about what to even do or how the game works.

They know the tutorial is broken and currently have no ETA on a fix, probably why the game is only $10.

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
I am sorry that you feel this way. I have been trying to find some great guides/tutorials but the once that are good are over a year old and things have changed a lot since then.

The only good guides are the hero guides ingame, they should help you out a lot on how to play the hero and what items to buy.

Looks like you will have to learn it the hard way. But when you have its totally worth it.

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
Meh, if it's borked, I'm sticking ti League of Legends.
If you have played League of Legends or DOTA the tutorial wont help you anyway since the core play is the same. The biggest difrence then is the new heroes and the shop system. HON just implemented a hero guides in game so they should help you guys out alot.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
If you have played League of Legends or DOTA the tutorial wont help you anyway since the core play is the same. The biggest difrence then is the new heroes and the shop system. HON just implemented a hero guides in game so they should help you guys out alot.

What should i be buying from the shop?

My biggest problem so far is people raging at me for buying the wrong things. Also once someone starts losing they seems to just rage and leave.

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
What should i be buying from the shop?

My biggest problem so far is people raging at me for buying the wrong things. Also once someone starts losing they seems to just rage and leave.
The items you should buy depends a lot on the hero you play and its here the hero guides really shine. Lets say you are playing Pyromancer in game when you open the shop you will also have access to the Hero Guides for Pyromancer these guys are created buy players and also voted up (or down) by players.

Now lets say you follow this guide:
You will see the following items categories Start, Laning, Core, Luxury. This is the order of how you should get your items.

Start items are items you buy with your starter gold (603).
Laning items are items you get during the laning phase, normaly last to 15-20 mins gameplay.
Core items are items you should aim for, these are a bit expensive but really makes you shine in the role you play.
Luxury are items that cost a lot and is a luxury to have on your hero.

Keep in mind that you should always carry regen items, like health potion or runes of blight to get up your hp.

Found some really good videos explaing the core gameplay for HON:
http://www.ign.com/videos/series/hon-102-understanding-the-game
http://www.ign.com/videos/series/hon-202-playing-to-win

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Bought it this weekend. Nice game, but tutorial appears to be broken. I have joined several noobs game, but despite that, players have thrown everything at me: "uninstall the game","please leave", "l2p",blah, blah,... :p

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Bought it this weekend. Nice game, but tutorial appears to be broken. I have joined several noobs game, but despite that, players have thrown everything at me: "uninstall the game","please leave", "l2p",blah, blah,... :p

Yep i got that too haha, "NOOBS ONLY" and then when you do something wrong you get totally raged at!

HawtTuna

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah this is a really rough game, I played the demo a couple months back and people kept raging at me. Haha, I'd usually laugh it off and they'd rage even more at me. It's a fun game though, tough finding cool people to play with though.

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
This reminds me about a post i found on the HON forum yesterday

How many HoN players does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two. One to change it and one to tell you to **** off and die.

How many HoN players does it take to change a lightbulb?

Five. One to actually change the lightbulb, two to complain that they could've changed the lightbulb better, one to unscrew the lightbulb after it's in and another to call kick votes on the guy who changed it in the first place

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
The tutorial is completely broken, you start it, it says one line about you dying and then the game freezes and you have to force quit. This happens for windows users too.
Today they release a patch that should fix this problem.

"- The Tutorial should be much more functional"

HawtTuna

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
The game is performing alot worse on my 320m than I remembered. Getting 15 fps in team fights. :/ Bootcamp it is then... *sigh*

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I'm trying side by side also League Of Legends, the Mac client works fine, and it looks to be much more noob friendly. Community looks also a bit more educate.

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
I'm trying side by side also League Of Legends, the Mac client works fine, and it looks to be much more noob friendly. Community looks also a bit more educate.
League Of Legends is indeed more noob friendly and thats one of the reasons i enjoy Heros of Newearth more. However this is also one of HoNs negative sides. More comepetetive = more elitism.

But if you know how to handle it then you would enjoy Heroes of Newearth more.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Where do you get the mac client for LoL? I had a look on the site and it was just windows. I wouldnt mind trying that out before getting owned at HoN again haha

Although currently I have went back to get owned at Starcraft2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.