Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
Hello,

I have a early 2009 mac mini and I will be getting a Powermac G5 in the next few weeks. Originally I was looking for a way to upgrade it to Intel (not possible or at least easily). So I got thinking and came up with an idea. The Powermac i'm getting is faster than my mini in almost all respects but it doesn't use Intel and the Mini does. So I thought if I could get a splitter for the Powermac and Mini then I could switch between effectively between Intel and Powerpc. Using Powerpc for most things and Intel for Intel required things (xcode, lion etc). How would I go about doing this?

sirozzy

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
@home
sounds ok but I would rather go with remote desktop. I have PowerMac G5 and mini as server and just do log in through remote desktop. It works just fine. If you want better quality of the picture just use VNC-Viewer rather than Screen Sharing feature in MacOSX.

Hope that helps a little bit. :)

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
I noticed you said the Powermac is faster than the Mini in almost all respects...

On paper, or real world? If you've done your research and know that the Powermac will be faster for what you do than the Mini will, then that's fine. But, if you're just comparing Gigahertz to Gigahertz on paper... the Mini might surprise you.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Unless it's a Quad G5, the Mini (if it's a Core 2 Duo around the 2.2+Ghz mark) will be faster in many, if not all regards. Where the G5 shines is memory amount, but then again the Mini has faster to far faster memory (depending on what kind of memory is in there, IDK the 2009 specs of the top of my head).

The G5's are still powerhouses, but the Intel Mini's are just as fast if not faster for processing power and OS X is overall just more/better optomized for the Intel architecture, thus better performance.

The G5 can be upgraded to a more powerful GPU however and only the PCI-e G5's can get the fastest GPUs for PowerPC processors.

Do you know if it's a *dual CORE* or *dual PROCESSOR* G5?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Tucom is right, the Mini will be generally faster. The current Mini is faster than all G5s in all respects, with the exception of a very few specialized tasks.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Lol your comparing a 6 year old machine to a intel mini.. WTF?? how about you then also compare how much your going to pay for either and base it on that..

oh and i would not write home about the 9400M thats inside that mini either, just another shitbox thats great for desktop use. any gaming and throw it in the bin.

The mini is great as a Media Player for your lounge room, and yeah KVM would be the way to go. :D

nwc6624

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
nm
i would connect them via firewire and a screen splitter....... get one that lets you use only one mouse and keyboard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.