Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Good spot. I bought a single license but I think i'll pick up the family pack.

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009

Hello,
I bought the family pack and downloaded the app onto my Macbook Air. I am not home with the MacPro so I decided to take advantage of your suggestion--the price is right. As an experiment I did go to Fan Control, which only gave the options for either default or Medium.
I downloaded the free version of the app around one month ago and I remember your suggestions about the different fan control options. Am I only getting the medium and default because I'm on a Macbook Air? Will I get the multiple options for fan control when this app is installed on the MacPro?
Also, if I uninstall the program from the Air, which I don't really need it on, will I return to 5 users?
I will eventually come back with best set up advice when I install the app on the Mac Pro.
thanks again

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Hello,
I bought the family pack and downloaded the app onto my Macbook Air. I am not home with the MacPro so I decided to take advantage of your suggestion--the price is right. As an experiment I did go to Fan Control, which only gave the options for either default or Medium.
I downloaded the free version of the app around one month ago and I remember your suggestions about the different fan control options. Am I only getting the medium and default because I'm on a Macbook Air? Will I get the multiple options for fan control when this app is installed on the MacPro?
Also, if I uninstall the program from the Air, which I don't really need it on, will I return to 5 users?
I will eventually come back with best set up advice when I install the app on the Mac Pro.
thanks again

Under Edit Preferences you can add a custom fan configuration.

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
Under Edit Preferences you can add a custom fan configuration.
When I downloaded the app a month ago on my Mac Pro there were 3 or 4 fan options available in the download. I didn't customize anything.
Additionally, I haven't been able to find in edit preferences anything to do with fan controls as yet.
I will need all of this only on the MacPro anyway.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
When I downloaded the app a month ago on my Mac Pro there were 3 or 4 fan options available in the download. I didn't customize anything.
Additionally, I haven't been able to find in edit preferences anything to do with fan controls as yet.
I will need all of this only on the MacPro anyway.

After selecting preferences: => select "Sensors"
On the Munubar Sensors "General" sub panel is a tab called "Edit Rules" that will allow you to define a new set of fan speeds.

What is unclear to me is if there is an auto override of the preset fan speed(s) if one/more of the sensors indicates an unsafe temperature. It sure looks like once the fans as "set" they won't change speed regardless of the internal temps.

JohnG

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
After selecting preferences: => select "Sensors"
On the Munubar Sensors "General" sub panel is a tab called "Edit Rules" that will allow you to define a new set of fan speeds.

What is unclear to me is if there is an auto override of the preset fan speed(s) if one/more of the sensors indicates an unsafe temperature. It sure looks like once the fans as "set" they won't change speed regardless of the internal temps.

JohnG

I am running around this weekend I will post a how to on monday or tue. It is funky but you can add on setting speeds. I need to show how with a few screen shots.

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
I am running around this weekend I will post a how to on monday or tue. It is funky but you can add on setting speeds. I need to show how with a few screen shots.
Thanks. No hurry but would appreciate some instructions. I remember when I tried it for free a month or so ago there were automatically three or four settings, going up from default, to 2200. 3300rpm, etc. I tried it for a few minutes to test and the fans sped up. I recall that you used these settings or even lowered the default to reduce noise, depending on workload. (There was also a sensor module that I downloaded separately, but didn't know whether it was necessary or even needed. It's sitting in my downloads.) I decided to uninstall the app from the Macbook Air. I wonder if I have lost one of the 5 users or whether it will recognize that this is the same computer if I upload it again. No big deal though.)
I won't need this right away, but would like to know the best ways to set and work the app.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.