Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:35 PM   #1
BlindMellon
macrumors 65816

Apple Losing iPhone Customers?

The office where I worke used to have 4 folks with iPhones. Two of them went Android because of larger screens, specs, etc. and I've been tempted myself. Not a large sample, but a trend. Also, the entire company went with a crappy droid pro rather than iphone for their company phones. That's 300+ sales that could have went iPhone.

Do you think Apple is losing iPhone sales due to this ridiculously long wait for a new model?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:41 PM   #2
TsuaSai
macrumors 6502

Personally I do. However are the losing enough to make it noticeable? Probably not. The other thing you somewhat have to ask yourself is how many people were just bored with iPhones so to speak and just wanted to try something different. I think its likely some of these people would have switched just to see what else was out there.

I had the iphone 1 and 3g. Then got bored with the OS and got a droid 1 it was okay but the droid x is where I really started like android. However I am one that is up for an upgrade and I am waiting to see what Apple bring to the table.
TsuaSai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:42 PM   #3
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMellon View Post
Do you think Apple is losing iPhone sales due to this ridiculously long wait for a new model?
To be honest, no.
Most people (that I know of) in that situation have decided to wait, but most have just decided to buy it now (if they couldn't wait). If they really want an iPhone, they're better off getting the current model instead of going to a completely different platform.

Are they losing potential sales? Probably not.
I'm guessing most Android users who just signed a new contract are with Sprint/T-Mobile so they wouldn't have had that iPhone option anyways.
wordoflife is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:42 PM   #4
flipster
macrumors 6502a

Maybe..

I had a Droid X with a 4.3" screen. At first, I didn't miss the screen real estate when I switched to my iPhone, but I just picked it up the other day and the screen looked so big and nice that I actually appreciate larger screens now.

The iPhone does a great job with utilizing screen real-estate when it comes to apps, the screen actually feels quite large. Steve jobs has made fun of large screen phones in the past, I can't remember the exact quote tbh.. Anyway, I think 4" would be the sweet spot on a phone.

IMO:

Wider screens = better viewing pleasure
Longer screens = annoyance

So if apple extended the screen to the edges of the phone, I would be happy.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:47 PM   #5
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a

Is Apple losing customers? No. When they release their quarter numbers next week you'll see they sold more iPhones last quarter than then did the same quater last year. Are some iPhone user swiching over to other OS yes, but other OS are losing people to the iPhone also.
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:44 PM   #6
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

I'm sure corporate sales haven't changed much since I had exposure - and we were a small business.

The decision makers sit around a table with their carrier rep, and the pitch a deal. Obviously the lowest cost is going to look better. The more of a handset you buy, the better the deal. I'm also assuming the bulk sales margins aren't as in favor of the iPhone as they are of a cheaper droid model.

One interesting thing about the whole process was we had started with GTE mobilenet, which morphed into Verizon Wireless. We were in a professional organization that had negotiated this awesome deal with ATT and so my Dad finally relented to hearing their pitch - not thinking they were going to be able to touch our VZW deal with a 10ft pole.... Not to mention, ATT didn't have any service in over 1/2 our sales area.

He listened, told them thanks but no thanks. They asked why, and he said you are twice what we are paying and don't have coverage. The ATT guy told him no way, and even after being shown a bill showing "yes way" he still insisted it wasn't possible! LOL!

Anyway, if enterprise isn't adopting iPhones then part of the blame is going to go to the sales reps selling it to them.
TraceyS/FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:28 PM   #7
vintageapple
macrumors member

Ive noticed the same thing. Before EVERYONE had an Iphone, now I am actually seeing people with droids. Which I think is good, competition is good for us!
vintageapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:01 AM   #8
Savor
macrumors 68020

And Apple releases iPhone on Sprint and T-Mobile, it will regain all the customers it lost from AT&T back. To imagine iPhone always PEAKING and always outselling everyone for 10-20 consecutive years is impossible to do for any company or product. People do move onto other things and try something new. Every good thing comes to an end. You can't eat your favorite food every single day for the rest of your life, can you? So people try something else.

I personally will move on from iPhone and might check out Android or WP7 when my contract is up. Very curious what Ice Cream Sandwich will be like. And if Apple still quenches my thirst, I will go back to them. So far, I am just waiting for ANY phone that can give me Wi-Fi browsing for like 15 hours instead of 9-10. Because sometimes I could be online for a whole day and still have to charge my phone again during the day. I am awake at least 16 hours a day, so juice would run out if I am on Wi-Fi constantly.
Savor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:05 AM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMellon View Post
The office where I worke used to have 4 folks with iPhones. Two of them went Android because of larger screens, specs, etc. and I've been tempted myself. Not a large sample, but a trend. Also, the entire company went with a crappy droid pro rather than iphone for their company phones. That's 300+ sales that could have went iPhone.

Hey since 4 folks from your company switched to Android then Apple is Definitely losing iphone customers....
Applejuiced is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:14 AM   #10
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Word is 550,000 Android phones are being activated everyday. And they now have 250,000 apps in the market.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Jul 17, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Vegastouch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:23 AM   #11
Alaerian

Sorry, but over 15 million Android phones a month? Pardon me for one moment ...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Alaerian is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:27 AM   #12
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaerian View Post
Sorry, but over 15 million Android phones a month? Pardon me for one moment ...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Glad you bothered to read the article
Vegastouch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:31 AM   #13
Alaerian

Don't need to. Numbers manipulation is easy to do.
Alaerian is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:35 AM   #14
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
In the article it says it's not expected to remain constant. Maybe you should have read it.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:40 AM   #15
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
And there lies your problem. To assume is easy to do as well.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Jul 17, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
Vegastouch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:21 AM   #16
uiop.
macrumors 68000

I hope so. I see too many people with my phone in public.

Just kidding.
uiop. is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:53 AM   #17
Vizin
macrumors 6502a

Last edited by Vizin; Feb 28, 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Vizin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:38 AM   #18
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

Here in the UK I'm seeing more Blackberrys than anything else. I know perhaps 10 iPhone users, one Android user, and what feels like hundreds of Blackberry users; everyone that comes into my office suddenly seems to have one. I never see a 'dumb phone' nowadays.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:38 AM   #19
aztooh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
To be honest, no.
Most people (that I know of) in that situation have decided to wait, but most have just decided to buy it now (if they couldn't wait). If they really want an iPhone, they're better off getting the current model instead of going to a completely different platform.

Are they losing potential sales? Probably not.
I'm guessing most Android users who just signed a new contract are with Sprint/T-Mobile so they wouldn't have had that iPhone option anyways.
My contract is up in about 4 weeks. I'm not a fan of the iPhone 4 to begin with, and it will be well over a year old at that time. I'd like to wait and see what the iPhone '5' brings to the table, but if there's not real details about the next iPhone by then I'm going with something else.

While there are some who will just go with the 4 if the '5' isn't announced or out when their contracts end, I'm sure I'm not the only one with my feelings of the millions of 3g/s users out there who are awaiting some news of the '5'.
aztooh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:55 AM   #20
Faux Carnival
macrumors 6502a

I think so. No one in their right mind would buy a 13 month old phone for the same launch price.
Faux Carnival is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:47 AM   #21
dccorona
macrumors 68020

its a 3 month wait...that is far from ridiculously long
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:58 AM   #22
kilcher
macrumors 6502a

I think the biggest problem is that there's 1 new iPhone per year. The latest and greatest Android phones are being announced and marketed almost every week. Then throw in the fact that not every Android phone costs $299/$199. Plus, the more people who have an Android phone the more people there are to influence others to buy them - for instance, people asking their friends, family, co-workers "how do you like your phone?" To the average person those are huge factors.

Last edited by kilcher; Jul 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
kilcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:01 PM   #23
bruinsrme
macrumors 68040

The iphone is the best looking phone and has a lot of hype surrounding it.

I myself have been looking at androids namely for a larger screen and some other features.

The larger screen is the main attraction for me. Functionality wise my needs can be met with an Android or WP7 phone.

When the next iphone comes out I will determine which phone meets my needs at that time. Right now the iphone is adequate but some of the newer Androids have an edge over the ip4.
bruinsrme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:43 PM   #24
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Hey since 4 folks from your company switched to Android then Apple is Definitely losing iphone customers....
Wow, not only did you not read the entire post, but you got the numbers wrong on the part you did address. Way to add to the discussion.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:57 PM   #25
aztooh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccorona View Post
its a 3 month wait...that is far from ridiculously long
3 months from when, now? I've been waiting to upgrade since the middle of March (when I returned my Atrix). So I figured on a 2.5-3 month wait from then. Nothing announced in June. July is more than half over...still no news.

I want to wait and at least see what it brings (design; all of iOS 5), but if nothing is announced by mid August (when my contract is up) I'll have to look elsewhere.

An additional 3 months from now isn't long for those on the iP4, but that doesn't apply to everyone. My 3g is barely usable anymore.
aztooh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone