Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi I'm a total newbie to programming but would love to give an iPhone app a bash. I have just purchased a few books to help me from the Dummies range. The first one is Objective-C for Dummies which I feel is written for people with some programming knowledge as I am struggling to get to grips with it. The other was iPhone App Development for Dummies 7-1

This second book so far is written by the same author but easier to understand but the book is using an earlier version of Xcode which might make learning for me slightly trickier.

Can any one give me any advice or words of encouragement.

Many Thanks

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
This second book so far is written by the same author but easier to understand but the book is using an earlier version of Xcode which might make learning for me slightly trickier

Since most learning resources are still based on Xcode 3, I suggest installing it alongside 4 and using it when needed.

emyholdem

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Norwich, United Kingdom
I'm totally new to programming, and I'm currently reading the Objective C for Dummie's book, the author says that the book is written for people with no previous experience of programming, and i'm currently on about page 110, and i'm finding as long as you follow the instructions and make sure you do exactly what the author says then you should be fine.

And as alot of people will say to you, code code code.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I'm on Page 312 of 1162 if going by the iBook version. The start I found easy to understand but now I feel I'll have to go back and start again because I'm reading for the sake of reading but not understanding.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
For me, the key was to make sure I understood everything that was being explained. Just going through the motions probably isn't the best idea.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
One book that I have found particularly good at explaining the concepts rather than just drowning you in code is Programming in Objective-C by Stephen Kochan. It was recently updated, and it explains iPhone development.

The problems i've had when reading books on iPhone App Development is they seem to be written for people with programming experience which i DO NOT have.

I will need to learn the ABSOLUTE basics and like to know why we are doing something so i can get to grips with it.

I have an app idea and to be honest i think if you are an app developer it's something you could make in under 30 minutes as there is nothing fancy about it.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The problems i've had when reading books on iPhone App Development is they seem to be written for people with programming experience which i DO NOT have.

I will need to learn the ABSOLUTE basics and like to know why we are doing something so i can get to grips with it.

I have an app idea and to be honest i think if you are an app developer it's something you could make in under 30 minutes as there is nothing fancy about it.

Maybe you should try Learn C on the Mac and/or Learn Objective-C on the Mac. They are both great books for beginners.

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
UK

Just remember that everyone had to learn sometime, and some hardened programmers can be a little tactless on these forums. Kochan's book, already mentioned, is always on my desk and is well worth spending the money on. I still make silly mistakes from time to time, but it is part of the learning. Expect to put your head down and take a couple of months before you'll know the structures and methods properly. Some are easy, some take a bit of work.

Secondly, Google a few simple tutorials and work through them. This helped me a lot. I generally learn through doing, so tutorials were great to mess up and then put right.

Use your app idea to learn the points you need to make it, then move on from there.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Just remember that everyone had to learn sometime, and some hardened programmers can be a little tactless on these forums. Kochan's book, already mentioned, is always on my desk and is well worth spending the money on. I still make silly mistakes from time to time, but it is part of the learning. Expect to put your head down and take a couple of months before you'll know the structures and methods properly. Some are easy, some take a bit of work.

Secondly, Google a few simple tutorials and work through them. This helped me a lot. I generally learn through doing, so tutorials were great to mess up and then put right.

Use your app idea to learn the points you need to make it, then move on from there.

Ok looks like I'll order that book as you all have spoken highly of it !!!

Have any of you apps in the AppStore?

One last thing can I write apps for my Mac using XCode?

Just to let you know I couldn't wait to order this book after reading reviews. I went to the iBooks app but it wasn't available but it was a available for the kindle so I downloaded the app and bought it.

I'm of work on holidays for 2 weeks starting this Monday. Guess what I'll be doing henehe

Last edited by a moderator:

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
One book that I have found particularly good at explaining the concepts rather than just drowning you in code is Programming in Objective-C by Stephen Kochan. It was recently updated, and it explains iPhone development.

I've just finished Chapter 3 of this book Classes, Objects, and Methods and really enjoying it. Read it once but didn't get fully to grips with it.

Read it a second time and now starting to understand what's happening here but I will need to read a third time as I wouldn't be able to duplicate the examples without looking as the syntax still needs to be memorised better.

Is this how I should be learning or have you any tips?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.