Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Steve's Barber
Banned

How to Show Dock in Full Screen App

I have a MBP13 so I keep the dock hidden for screen space reasons. So, when in full screen mode for apps (like Safari) sometimes the dock would pop up, others times it wouldn't.

To get the dock to pop up when in a full screen app use one finger to swipe the mouse arrow to the bottom of the screen like you normally do then... simply do it again.

I just figured it out... kind of a "duh" moment. At first I thought it was a bug but it's by design so one can use the mouse arrow at the bottom without having the dock get in the way.
Steve's Barber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:34 AM   #2
poocat
macrumors newbie

Thank you so much!

I'd gotten it to activate a few times, but had no idea what I'd done, and so usually it wouldn't show.

Very key note that more people probably are looking for.
poocat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Mrguidogenio
macrumors regular

Not necessarily to the bottom. Some people use the Dock. Some people use the Dock at the left/right, you know
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:03 PM   #4
ghostlines
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to ghostlines
Sweet!

Thanks a lot, I needed this for real, nice to see they thought of this too.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:13 PM   #5
angusticeps
macrumors newbie

I keep the dock hidden on the left and use a mouse. The double movement (to the left in my case) works but it's kind of slow cause normally the first movement will have brought the mouse to the edge of the mouse pad, so I have to lift the mouse, take it to the center of the pad, and move it again.

I'm not sure whether it is intentional or not, but have noticed that an alternative way is to move the mouse to the left edge of the screen, and then move it back towards the center of the screen by 1 pixel only. That will make the dock appear.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy with either solution.
angusticeps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:20 PM   #6
19ertim
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusticeps View Post
I keep the dock hidden on the left and use a mouse. The double movement (to the left in my case) works but it's kind of slow cause normally the first movement will have brought the mouse to the edge of the mouse pad, so I have to lift the mouse, take it to the center of the pad, and move it again.

I'm not sure whether it is intentional or not, but have noticed that an alternative way is to move the mouse to the left edge of the screen, and then move it back towards the center of the screen by 1 pixel only. That will make the dock appear.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy with either solution.
This is the same solution I found. A few pixels. I agree totally . It is unacceptable and Bovine Scatology that it was not addressed before release.
19ertim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:52 PM   #7
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ertim View Post
This is the same solution I found. A few pixels. I agree totally . It is unacceptable and Bovine Scatology that it was not addressed before release.
i always thought its intentional and a feature? like lets say u have a fullscreen app open which has settings or something right at the spot where the dock is hidden, in order to click the settings u dont want the dock to appear and cover the setting area right?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:04 PM   #8
angusticeps
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
i always thought its intentional and a feature?
that's what I fear most

Quote:
like lets say u have a fullscreen app open which has settings or something right at the spot where the dock is hidden, in order to click the settings u dont want the dock to appear and cover the setting area right?
what you say makes sense, but from my point of view this "feature" is a regression since it now takes me longer to access the dock than before.

Maybe I should just get used to launchpad instead of relying on the dock for starting applications...
angusticeps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:26 PM   #9
smoketetsu
macrumors member

This is also a little harder to do with a mouse where you have to first drag down to the bottom then stop and drag further down... I'd rather have it pop up if you drag all the way to the bottom after a delay.

I was doing this by accident previously and didn't know how. I'm quickly getting used to how it works though.

It's also easy to use command+tab to switch between open apps which is the most important thing when you are wanting to switch away from a full screen app... I mean especially when launching an app while you are in full screen takes you back to the main desktop.

Last edited by smoketetsu; Jul 24, 2011 at 02:41 PM.
smoketetsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion