Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Is there an alternative to Silverlight? I'm running the latest iMac with SL, and Silverlight and Safari are taking massive amounts of memory compared to other applications, even ones that are converting video. As you can see in the list I have iFlicks converting a video for import into iTunes and it's still taking I small amount compared to the Safari and Silverlight.

Is there a way I can limit the amount of memory Silverlight uses or is there a replacement for it? My only use for it is to watch Netflix.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Is there an alternative to Silverlight? ...
Silverlight is Microsoft's alternative to Adobe's Flash. It is proprietary software. There is no opensource clone of Silverlight. With reports that Microsoft intends to drop it, there may be no motivation to clone it.

More to the point--Do you have or do you suspect a problem with Silverlight? You appear to be freaking-out over the fact that Silverlight is consuming 8.6% of your CPU. At 8.6%, there is simply no way that you can claim that the software is hogging your CPU. As a general proposition, you should not freak-out over numbers that you do not understand. You are running MacOS X, not System 7 or Windows 95. Left to its own devices, your OS does a fantastic job of taking care of itself.

Chill.

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
You appear to be freaking-out over the fact that Silverlight is consuming 8.6% of your CPU. At 8.6%, there is simply no way that you can claim that the software is hogging your CPU.

I'm not talking about the CPU I'm talking about the memory use. The video gets choppy and opening safari tabs gets slow and jerky, the animation on minimizing an open app goes slow and choppy. Everything slows down and the computers hard drive starts to get loud.

However the moment I close the tab in safari that's playing the video, everything goes back to normal and instantly back up to being a fast computer.

Hence why I asked if there was an alternative, since flash doesn't require over 500mb of memory to run, even if I had 10 flash videos running at once.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
It sounds to me like you are running short of hard drive space. You should maintain at least 10% [many say 15%] of your hard drive as free space. Otherwise, your UNIX virtual memory system will not have enough headroom and performance suffers.

Absent evidence to the contrary, this sounds exactly like your problem.

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
That would make sense if I wasn't only using 190 GB of 1 TB. Can you not see the pic where it says I only have 159 mb of ram/memory available? That fluctuates to about 20 mb free then all goes to ****. I'm going to be upgrading to 12 GB memory however the usage of safari and silverlight shouldn't be so high.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
That would make sense if I wasn't only using 190 GB of 1 TB. Can you not see the pic where it says I only have 159 mb of ram/memory available? That fluctuates to about 20 mb free then all goes to ****. I'm going to be upgrading to 12 GB memory however the usage of safari and silverlight shouldn't be so high.

Inactive memory is also available for apps to use, so at the time of that screen shot you are not close to running out of memory.

From your perspective, a user browsing the web, your alternative to Silverlight is to not use it... You can try uninstalling it (google around). However, if you need to visit sites that use Silverlight for something critical to you, then I'm afraid you're stuck with it.

You can also try restarting your browser occasionally which hopefully will cause the silverlight process to restart as well, freeing memory at least until you start using it again.

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
The only thing I've found to fix it is to just refresh the page (always just on Netflix). After refreshing page it goes back to only using 50 then up to 100 and so on until I have to refresh again. It makes its way up to over 500mb in like 20-30 min.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
You are a worry-wort in search of a problem. To confirm that you have a problem, you are willing to spend money that can be put to better use for a solution to your non-existent problem.

If I thought that it would do any good, then I would recommend that you stop reading Activity Monitor lists and attend to your work. Unfortunately, it will do no good. Therefore, I will not bother.

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
...I'm not look for a problem, I'm looking for a solution to a problem... Have you not been reading what I
post? The video gets choppy as in, the video is playing and once the activity monitor shows that I'm out of available memory the video gets choppy. Everything pauses and then after a second starts playing again, over and over again. And it has nothing to do with the video not buffeting fast enough.

This only happens when all/most of my memory is used up, never glitches if I have avaiable memory. Hense why I wanted an alternative to silverlight or a fix. Since there is no alternative I'll keep using it because I like Netflix.

WiBu

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
You seem to have come to the conclusion already, but just to reiterate, there is no alternative to Silverlight.

However, it might be worth giving the Silverlight 5 beta a try.

chris.robison

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
MisterMe seems to not understand how computers work, let alone Flash and Silverlight. I'm not sure why he is commenting at all.

Both Silverlight and Flash eat up my memory. Earlier today I had to kill Safari while it was running and consuming nearly 1.5GB of memory. :eek:

I wish they weren't such memory whores. I upgraded to 8GB just so I don't have to restart or kill apps as often.

Even if there were an alternative, it wouldn't matter as it is up to the content provider and which platform they choose to put their media on. Our best hope is for more websites to use HTML5 video. Real video formats will be processed hardware side using less resources and power, while Flash and Silverlight do this in software, using up lots of resources and power.

Edit: Besides waiting for more HTML5 video, you can kill your web browsers, Flash, and Silverlight processes more often, or you can do a memory upgrade. On my MacBook Pro, I got 8gb for around $100 on Amazon.

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Finally some people who seem to know what they are talking about. I tried silverlight beta, let's just say it's in beta for a reason. An don't install it unless your ready to search google for instructions on how to get rid of the beta.

But yes, killing silverlight or closing the tab that has silverlight running fixes the issue right away, however the issue comes back after a few minutes of running silverlight again. I guess my only options are, continually kill silverlight over and over again, buy more memory for $420 at the apple store (feel free to tell me where I can get it cheaper).

chris.robison

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
The issue should not return that quickly on a new iMac. Maybe restart it instead. I restart my laptop about once a week. Still, it seems odd you'd have trouble that frequently. Do you have a poor internet connection? Have you ruled out that?

Based on your image though, you may be using your computer in a way that a memory upgrade would help. General rule of thumb: Do NOT buy memory, or hard drive upgrades from Apple. You'll pay 2-10 times the price it should cost. I got my memory (for MacBook Pro) from Amazon, you just have to search around, then verify your model. Here's another site: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac .

An article about if you need more memory or not:
http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/29/does-your-mac-need-more-memory-how-to-know-if-you-need-a-ram-upgrade/

Here's how to replace the RAM if you decide to go that route:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1423

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Restarting/cleaning out safari/uninstalling/installing different versions doesn't do anything to stop it. I'm quite certain once I grab some more memory it'll be all good.

Thank for that website for the memory. The prices are WAY less but it makes me wonder why it's so much cheaper. 8GB of ram from apple is $420 on that website it's 84.99. I haven't been able to fully check out the specs yet but why is it so much cheaper. Are the other brands just crap?

chris.robison

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Apple puts their label on it and sells it for much more. Apple isn't the manufacturer they just resale it. If you don't like that site, go through Amazon or search around.

Corsair, Kingston, and Crucial are 3 well known RAM makers. You'll see no difference in performance nor will you have problems.

Don't take my word for it though, search around. ;)

GL.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Don't have anything like you do with silverlight... not sure why you do. Try reinstalling maybe (doubt it would help). Anyways, in regards to your memory, you technically have the inactive + free available to use so don't let the 159MB throw you off. I really cannot give you a straight answer to your problem... just try reinstalling it or maybe check for updates to see if you have an older version. Also, stop freaking out (all of you) - why does everyone have to fight over a simple issue?

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
If you read my posts you would have read it's for Netflix. Then why isn't the inactive memory doing anything to stop the my computer from slowing down... Again if you had read my posts you would see I've tried reinstalling, installing different versions ect ect. I've seen other people posting issues with silverlight that's talking 1.5 gb of memory just to run the silverlight plugin.

I'm not freaking out about it, but think of it this way. If you noticed mail.app was using 1.5 gb of memory to run would you not be asking questions yourself...

And thx Chris.R for all you help and comments.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Yea, when I mentioned I don't have anything like you, I meant that when I use netflix I don't have the same issue. Well - sucks to be you.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
MisterMe seems to not understand how computers work, let alone Flash and Silverlight. I'm not sure why he is commenting at all.

Both Silverlight and Flash eat up my memory. ....
Nonsense. All running tasks consume a finite amount of memory. However, many users who think they know something [but don't] about memory labor under the delusion that they can somehow outrun their computer's appetite for memory. They can't. MacOS X is not System 7 or Windows 95. You can't manually allocate or limit your applications' memory usage. MacOS X is a preemptive multitasking virtual memory operating system. The OS handles memory allocation, not the user. Free memory is wasted memory. The OS allocates all available RAM to the running tasks. Just because you have 16 GB of RAM installed does not mean that the OS will not use virtual memory. It will.

Misconceptions to the contrary, your RAM is not the cause of the choppiness in your Flash or Silverlight video. Heck, my primary computer is a 2 GHz Power Mac G5 (2 GB RAM) and have absolutely no problem with compatible Flash or Silverlight. On my 2.93 GHz MacBook Pro 17" (4 GB RAM) running the latest releases of Flash and Silverlight, I have no problems at all.

If you have a problem, then your problem is local to your setup. It is not generic to your software.

chris.robison

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
If he sees a direct correlation with his memory usage and Netflix slowdown, who are you to say he is wrong?

I have had the same problem from time to time. Flash and Silverlight DO take up immense resources over time and can lead to slow down. I'm not sure why you are arguing against that. I've experienced it. I agree the OS is great and handles memory allocation well...most of the time. It doesn't mean if you have too many things going or going for too long that they won't steal that memory from you. Geez louise.

Also, I provided him with an article to see if he needed more memory. I agree it could be other problems, but he also provided a screenshot and said Netlfix slows down when memory usage is full. So...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.