Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
My DP G5's HDD fan is spinning at high speed for no apparent reason and has been for the last 30 min. straight? Any ideas on why? I haven't tried rebooting yet, just trying to figure out what caused the fan to go nuts.

Just some info. It's a rev. b Dual 2.0ghz w/ an external 120GB and An Elgato EyeTv200 connected.

I haven't installed anything lately, it's a little warmer here in PA today, but nothing extreme. Nothing out of the ordinary in the way of system processes. Just curious if anyone has any ideas??

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Just restart your comp. Sometimes when my PB is being stupid on me, that is what I do. Normally it solves my problem, though most of them have been with software. Like the one time that I manged to drag the Finder icon out of the dock... :rolleyes:

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Do you have it set to download&install updates in the background? 10.3.8 has been causing troubles with some G5 owners and their fans, and this could be the case. However, if you've had 10.3.8 installed for a while and it's just starting now, i'd doubt that the update was the cause. And the slight temperature increase is not the cause either. Reboot!

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
So I rebooted and it was ok for a little while and then started again. I have my Eyetv sitting on top of the case, which can be adding some heat that that particular fan might be sensing. I moved the Tv tuner to see if that helps, I doubt it, but we'll see. It's the only thing I can think of that I changed recently that might be the cause.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
Not yet, but I will try that next. I leave the computer on all the time, so the mtc. programs should run at those ridiculous hours that are in there by default.

tech4all said:
Have your tried Repairing Permissions?

Just a thought.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
You should repair permissions after any install that asks for you Username and Password.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Firmware?

What version ROM are you running? I know there was a firmware update for the PM G5 to fix some fan problems but because you have a rev B PM, you might already have it. Like everyone else said, repair permissions and restart.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
I've got the same system and the fans sometimes do that to me as well. A restart has always fixed it for me, though. I've noticed it happens more often when surfing the net with Safari. How about you? Is it more likely to happen when your surfing the net with Safari?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I don't have a link to the article on Apple.com _BUT_ I remember reading about a bug with 10.3.8 where the fans may kick in randomly at high speed if the processors are set to Automatic and not Highest speed in system preferences.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Try this:

On the plastic airflow shielding on the inside the G5 there is a little white sticker on one of the tabs that rests into the channel. This sticker acts as a mark that a light or some sensor bounces off of. Make sure the sicker isn't pulled up or something, it will case the fans to spin at full speed becuase the computer doesn't think that the airflow panel is inserted.

This happened to me, my fans would spin constantly, but I fixed the little white sticker and now its back to normal.

Good luck, hope it fixes it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.