Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IrishHugo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Now I am new to these forums and I am not exactly a computer whizz but I would like you to bear with me, I just would like to know a few things.

I am thing of getting a Hauppauge HD PVR(model 1228) to record things, and I am planning to edit them on iMovie 09. I have an Imac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo. Its memory is 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. Now me not knowing much about computers just read all that off my "about this mac" page.

I was wondering whether, first of all my mac is compatible and able to handle the PVR and secondly if it is compatible with imovie. These questions may have already been asked but I haven't seen one and please don't flame me, I would appreciate an answer, thanks.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
On OSX you have to use some proprietary software made by elgato called eyetv for it to work. On windows you can use the software that came with the HD-PVR.

I also think there's an issue that if your gpu has less than either 256 or 512mb of vram, it won't work. I'm not sure if that's true or not but I heard something like it.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Yes, it works. I record with it on my iMac. You can use EyeTV or HDPRV Capture. EyeTV is about $100 and HDPVR Capture is $30. I have both. If you just want to record Xbox gameplay, HDPVR Capture is good enough. If you want to use the Hauppauge for recording movies, tv shows, editing, etc you'll definitely want EyeTV.

sonarghost

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I've used HdPVR Capture for quite a while for recording XBox and Ps3 games and putting them online. It works great for the mac.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
For Xbox, either will work fine. I've used both. I like EyeTV better myself, but if you're only recording Xbox HDPVR Capture is quite a bit cheaper. But like you said, you might want to record tv/movies.. so i'd probably go with EyeTV. It has built in editing, you can setup smart lists and it will record entire seasons of shows automatically, etc.

IrishHugo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
thanks for that, thats pretty much everything. I might need to know a few more things but I'll just come back here. Thanks for answering.

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
I have a Hauppauge 950Q that works flawlessly with my iMac.

In OS X, I use EyeTV.
In Windows 7, Windows Media Center works out of the box with it.

KrrSplat

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
I have an HD PVR, same model you are looking to buy. I use it to record xbox 360 footage. Here are some screen shots of the program.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    218.1 KB · Views: 1,288
  • 2.png
    2.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 946
  • 3.png
    3.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 1,194
  • 4.png
    4.png
    80 KB · Views: 612
  • 5.png
    5.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:

KrrSplat

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
More pics:

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 9.png
    9.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 398
  • 8.png
    8.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 434
  • 7.png
    7.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 689
  • 6.png
    6.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:

IrishHugo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Legend man, thanks for those. I now understand it and am probably going to get it before the month is out, but I just need to know one more thing. I was looking up tutorials and I noticed they were all old xbox's, will the PVR work with my xbox slim? Probably a thick question but I searched it on google and couldn't find it. I use the slim HD cables and was wondering will it all work with my pvr? Thanks

MasterMacBook

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Austarlia, W.A
I have used the Hauppauge HD PVR on my 5year old macbook and also on my 2010 imac, both work perfectley fine. On both an arcade original (non-hdmi) xbox and also the new xbox slim 250gb, with component of course, both work fine as well. :)

HDPVRCapture is an exceptionally good program for $30, download the trial then pay and the guy will email you your unlock key usually within 8hrs.

Good luck and happy gaming!

cheezmaker5

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
I have a Hauppauge 950Q that works flawlessly with my iMac.

In OS X, I use EyeTV.
In Windows 7, Windows Media Center works out of the box with it.

We recently purchased an Imac 21.5 and love it! There is no greater zealot than a convert and I am one.

Would you mind sharing how you have your Haupage 950Q set up with your imac? Are you using a digital antenna or do you have it hooked up to coax cable. I have a 950Q from our old windows machine and my wife really misses the ability to watch "live" TV. The online content from pbs.org etc. has helped alleviate some of the frustration, but local news, sports is a little tougher to find.

I have done some research and it looks like EyeTv is the way to go - where did you get your copy of the software without having to buy the hardware?
Thanks - these forums are very helpful.

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
We recently purchased an Imac 21.5 and love it! There is no greater zealot than a convert and I am one.

Would you mind sharing how you have your Haupage 950Q set up with your imac? Are you using a digital antenna or do you have it hooked up to coax cable. I have a 950Q from our old windows machine and my wife really misses the ability to watch "live" TV. The online content from pbs.org etc. has helped alleviate some of the frustration, but local news, sports is a little tougher to find.

I have done some research and it looks like EyeTv is the way to go - where did you get your copy of the software without having to buy the hardware?
Thanks - these forums are very helpful.

Sorry about the slow response to you. I haven't been on the forums in a while.

You can buy it (EyeTV) from Elgato, which is what I did.
I have an OTA antenna hooked up to the 950Q. I'd hook my TELUS TV box up to it, but S-Video/Composite on a 27" = eww. I'd have to get an Eye TV 250 HD or whatever it's called now.
Here's a screenie of it working.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-14 at 4.33.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-14 at 4.33.33 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 708

bgolfer7

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
need help!

ok i know alot about computers but i tried downloading something from mac and put it on windows it did not work could i put recordings onto a windows os computer and then upload onto mac?

Person112

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
Yes, it works. I record with it on my iMac. You can use EyeTV or HDPRV Capture. EyeTV is about $100 and HDPVR Capture is $30. I have both. If you just want to record Xbox gameplay, HDPVR Capture is good enough. If you want to use the Hauppauge for recording movies, tv shows, editing, etc you'll definitely want EyeTV.
. UM SO THE hauppauge does work on a iMac???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.