Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Austin2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
The Best Mac For Gaming???

Can someone tell me what the best mac for hardcore gaming is???
Austin2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:48 PM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604
 
miles01110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
There isn't one. A custom-built Windows gaming machine will outperform any Mac for a given dollar amount and specifications.
__________________
Got a problem? Check here first.
miles01110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Austin2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
But, I HATE Windows and I know how to do windows games on a mac.
Austin2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:57 PM   #4
miles01110
macrumors 604
 
miles01110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If you are a "hardcore gamer" as you claim, Macs are not an option if you truly want performance.
__________________
Got a problem? Check here first.
miles01110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:59 PM   #5
Austin2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
By Hardcore gamer what I meant was : I play games alot and stuff.
Austin2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:03 AM   #6
johnnymg
macrumors 65816
 
johnnymg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2 View Post
Can someone tell me what the best mac for hardcore gaming is???
3.3GHz Hex would be the best MP for gaming.

cheers
JohnG
__________________
2010 3.3GHz Hex MP + 24" ACD & OCZ Vertex 2 SSD; 2010 13" MBA; 2010 13" MBP, 2.4 GHz, 64 GB crucial m225 SSD; mid 2009 15" MBP 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, 128GB Crucial C300 + 500 GB 7200 HD; 3G Ipad 64 GB
johnnymg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:09 AM   #7
Austin2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I was thinking of the 3.2 GHz Mac Pro Because I Want to: Do live streams nicely, Podcast, Play games sometimes, Animate in *Shocker* Adobe flash pro CS5. Photoshop. I do too much stuffs to have one dedicated machine.

Last edited by Austin2; Jul 18, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
Austin2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:16 AM   #8
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040
 
MythicFrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
The best Mac for gaming is the Mac Pro as it offers the 5870 GPU and allows you to replace that GPU with another GPU that Apple might offer down the line. The best value Mac for gaming would be the high end 27" iMac.

However, you'll get less performance playing games on your Mac in Snow Leopard or Lion compared to Windows 7 (in Boot Camp, VMs suck for gaming).

And, as has been said, building your own rig is ideal as you could have a system for ~$1100 excluding the screen that will destroy the Mac Pro. However, I do understand why you want a Mac

If you do decide to buy a Mac Pro, I'd recommend waiting for the next generation models (although it may be a long wait) which should include Sandy Bridge CPUs and much better GPUs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2 View Post
I was thinking of the 3.2 GHz Mac Pro Because I do : Everything.
You won't really get any performance gain when gaming from the 3.33GHz six-core Mac Pro vs the 3.2GHz quad-core. So, that'd be the model to go with if you do that.
MythicFrost is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:22 AM   #9
Austin2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Yeah, I was planing on boot camp.
__________________
Austin2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:31 AM   #10
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2 View Post
Yeah, I was planing on boot camp.
Then don't plan on being able to upgrade your video drivers easily, either.
__________________
MacBook • 17" MacBook Pro • iPod Nano • Apple TV
PS4 • Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop • WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:28 AM   #11
CaptainChunk
macrumors 68020
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
But, I HATE Windows and I know how to do windows games on a mac.
You hate Windows, yet you're a hardcore gamer? Inevitably, you'll be booting into Windows for 99% of the games out there. Buying a Mac Pro for "hardcore gaming" accomplishes the following:

1. More money spent than necessary because you bought workstation-class hardware that makes absolutely NO difference in games.

2. Limitations on GPUs that actually boot into Mac OS. Additionally, you're limited to two PCIe power connectors on the logic board (unless you mod with splitters and/or a secondary PSU) and one of those are already used by the stock 5770 card; both of them if you order with the 5870.

3. No official SLI support on the logic board (if you're an NVIDIA guy); but ATI Crossfire has been known to work.

4. No analog mic input, forcing you to use a USB sound card or a dedicated sound card (that only works in Windows, of course) if you plan on using a headset.


There's probably more points I'm not even thinking of right now. But the main point here is that from a gaming perspective, spending that much money, given the platform drawbacks is completely insane, IMHO.

Look at this way: $2500 buys you an ENTRY-LEVEL Mac Pro with only 3 gigs of RAM and a so-so graphics card. That same $2500 can buy you one beast of a gaming rig. Is booting into Mac OS for those rare occasions you WON'T be using the machine for gaming really worth that hassle?
__________________
MP 8x2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, flashed 8800GT; Early '08
15" MBP 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM; Early '08 (RIP)
13" MBP 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM; Early '11

Last edited by CaptainChunk; Jul 18, 2011 at 01:34 AM.
CaptainChunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:34 AM   #12
Topper
macrumors 65816
 
Topper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2 View Post
Yeah, I was planing on boot camp.
MythicFrost is exactly correct.
The Mac Pro using Windows 7 under Boot Camp is an excellent gaming machine.
The HD 5870 is a very good card for gaming. The next Mac Pro will be even better with a 6000 series AMD card.
Or add an even more powerful PC video card that will work under Windows. I'm not sure, but if you do this, you may need to add an additional power supply.
I use Windows 7 to run X-Plane at very high renderings. I am very pleased.
.
__________________
ASUS Z87-Pro, Core i7-4770k, 16GB DDR 1866, EVGA Nvidia GTX Titan 6GB, HP LP3065
Topper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:14 AM   #13
derbothaus
macrumors 601
 
derbothaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
The 6-core mac is basically a i7-980X with a 5870 if you go that route. I have yet to find a game I can't max on DX10. A few DX11 titles give it a workout. But it is a quiet workout
You will get a couple extra frames here and there with the 6-core over the 4-core 3.2GHz. Super happy with mine and I came from custom built PC's for gaming prior to this Pro. Albeit on a GTX280 and overclocked Core2Duo at 3.66GHz so the gains were there already.
__________________
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
derbothaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:25 AM   #14
blunti
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2 View Post
But, I HATE Windows and I know how to do windows games on a mac.
WoW, diablo series and civilization series for the Mac pretty much. yea, some other titles as well here and there but i wouldnt call this hardcore gaming

perhaps a mac + ps3/xbox360 ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blunti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:16 AM   #15
AustinZ
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
If you really want to spend $1000s more than strictly necessary, go and configure a Mac Pro to your liking.

It's your money, you can spend it however you want. If having OS X really is worth paying at least a thousand dollars more than a comparable Windows-only gaming PC, go at it.
__________________
(My signature goes here.)
AustinZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:20 AM   #16
Austin2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
In my Opinion, It is. Because its SO much more cleaned up, and SO much less frustrating.
__________________
Austin2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:27 AM   #17
Topper
macrumors 65816
 
Topper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinZ View Post
If you really want to spend $1000s more than strictly necessary, go and configure a Mac Pro to your liking.
It's your money, you can spend it however you want. If having OS X really is worth paying at least a thousand dollars more than a comparable Windows-only gaming PC, go at it.
For me, the Mac Pro is the perfect machine for working with professional applications under OS X and gaming under Windows 7.
$1000? I already have a very powerful HD 5870, the only thing I had to add was Windows 7.

If I were using a computer strictly for gaming, then there's no question but I'd go with a PC.
.
__________________
ASUS Z87-Pro, Core i7-4770k, 16GB DDR 1866, EVGA Nvidia GTX Titan 6GB, HP LP3065
Topper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:45 AM   #18
jonnymo5
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
If you want to be on the cutting edge of gaming I would strongly urge you to consider building a PC just for games, and getting an iMac for everything else. The price will come out pretty close to a Mac Pro with monitor and upgrades.

I couldn't go back to using windows everyday but making my own "console" is something I have kicked around many times. For now the only PC game I'm anticipating is Diablo 3 and the Mac Pro should run that absolutely fine.
jonnymo5 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:51 AM   #19
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a
 
RedRaven571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Get a nice Mac/Macbook Pro for yourself and an xbox 360 for the games...
__________________
“Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming.”
- Dr. Ian Malcolm
RedRaven571 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:07 AM   #20
Tucom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Windows 7 is an exceptional OS, really MS outdid themselves and has really non of the hassle, slowdown of previous OS's and is far better configurable and optomized for gaming than OS X.


For gaming, a dedicated Windows rig really is the best choice, it's like building your own gaming machine, you know?


For all else, get the Mac, but even then, I've been using Windows 7 primarily for about a month and honestly..can't complain much sans the few niggles here and there (OS X still beats it overall hands down, but the gaps closing imo).

Far better gaming performance can be had by DIYing a Windows rig and it will be far more configurable, how's that not desirable?

If you really just want ONE. MACHINE. then the Mac Pro is the only real choice, but unless you need that graphical horsepower under OS X, I'd just get a Mac Mini (when the new frefresh comes) and a dedicated Windows gaming rig. That's what I have and there's really no better option that I can see.
Tucom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:02 PM   #21
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Then don't plan on being able to upgrade your video drivers easily, either.
Why not? It's as easy as going to the AMD website and downloading updated drivers for my 5770.

Or I can click the video driver updater in Steam.

Seems pretty easy to me.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:25 PM   #22
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2 View Post
Can someone tell me what the best mac for hardcore gaming is???
Mac Pro single processor with an AMD 5870. Get an SSD, a little extra RAM, and the highest clock speed you can afford.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:42 PM   #23
gpzjock
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Macs for PC gaming = Meh.

I use a Mac Pro to play WoW, it is my only real addictive game and I use my OS of choice to do it despite the lack of DirectX 11 support and limited choice of GFX card to use. I put up with these limitations purely because I dislike Windows and see enough of it at work.
One of my guild mates recently asked me for help in upgrading his gaming hardware from a 13" 2011 Macbook Pro with i5 CPU and HD3000 Intel GMA to something more useful.
I looked at all the Apple options that he was lusting after and the best value performance Mac was the 27" iMac with an i5 CPU and 6970 mobility GFX card at £1700.
Then I went to Overclockers UK and selected a Gaming PC that would hand the iMac its arse in any gaming situation.
After looking at both choices he bought an i5 CPU (overclocked to 4.2 GHz) equipped PC tower with 8 GB RAM, 24" LCD screen and a full fat 2 GB AMD 6950 GFX card for £1200. He is ecstatic at the performance difference.
It will take future upgrades and runs WoW in Windows 7 at a fantastic pace. I advise any PC gamer with an eye on their wallet to do a similar comparison before taking the plunge.
gpzjock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:41 PM   #24
goMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
There isn't one. A custom-built Windows gaming machine will outperform any Mac for a given dollar amount and specifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
You hate Windows, yet you're a hardcore gamer? Inevitably, you'll be booting into Windows for 99% of the games out there. Buying a Mac Pro for "hardcore gaming" accomplishes the following
I hate responses like this...

I mean, the info here is correct, but if OP is here asking about a Mac Pro, he's probably already past the Windows vs. Mac part. Some people need a machine for real work and games.

As for the question, any Mac Pro with a 5870 should do you. Just spec up from there. Probably no need to go beyond a quad or a hex.
goMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:55 PM   #25
Tucom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I hate responses like above...lol, I mean it's like this -


The reason we're stating the logic and advantages of having a dedicated gaming rig is to point out the choices and options and, again, the *huge* advantages that come with having a Windows 7 gaming rig, and also for the reason that if your serious about gaming, then I'd think one would know that the way to go for the best, most future proof setup is just to get a dedicated gaming Windows box, and a separate OS X machine for all else.
Tucom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS X: Gaming on a Mac LuxuryServers Mac and PC Games 11 Nov 17, 2013 08:35 AM
OS X: Mac Rumors Mac Gaming Links Guide Huntn Mac and PC Games 7 Oct 30, 2013 09:54 AM
OS X: New Mac Pro undermines the Mac gaming upsurge? petsounds Mac and PC Games 73 Oct 28, 2013 10:42 AM
OS X: Mac Gaming? avinatbezeq Mac and PC Games 28 Jan 10, 2013 04:18 AM
Gaming on a Mac gwc1991 Mac and PC Games 23 Sep 15, 2012 08:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC