Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
I have my iDisk set to login automatically on startup. That drive appears on my desktop with my mobileme ID and works fine.

But, I also get a second copy, with -1 tacked on the end. This appears to be an exact duplicate. I can't eject it, as sync is on. So, I have to go to System Prefs -> Mobile Me, and stop the sync. Then I can eject the dupe and restart sync. I have to do this every restart.

Any ideas what is happening and how to fix it?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Sounds like the -1 is the real one

guessing but this is what looks like might have happened

you had iDisk local syncing on
this was turned off, so it creates a local version of it (the one without -1)
iDisk syncing was turned back on again, it couldn't create the correct one so it created the -1 version

I would try this to fix

turn off iDisk syncing (this might create another one on your desktop)
any iDisk folders on desktop, rename to something else (check to see if anything you need in them and then delete)
turn iDisk syncing back on

fingers crossed should only be one

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
Thanks for the fast reply.

> Sounds like the -1 is the real one

They're both real AFAICS (both work, both seem identical).

> I would try this to fix
> turn off iDisk syncing (this might create another one on your desktop)
> any iDisk folders on desktop, rename to something else (check to see if anything you need in them and then delete)
> turn iDisk syncing back on

When I turn off sync, I get a standard folder called something like 'Previous iDisk folders'. When I turn sync back on, it goes back to the original and dupe.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
When you turn the syncing off and get Previous iDisk folder, do either of the other 2 stay or do both disappear

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
I'll check that. I need to restart to do it, and the Mac currently doing a large file upload, so will be about an hour before I can restart.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I am hoping it is going to leave the iDisk without -1 on your desktop, then deleting this and re enabling sync will put things as they should be

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
Ok, when I stopped the sync this time, the main disk disappeared from the desktop and the -1 one remained.

The problem seems to be that it's trying to connect twice at login. When I watch it startup, it mounts the idisk on its own first (it's ticked as a login item in System Prefs -> Accounts -> Login) then it brings up a dialogue asking me for my password. When I enter that, I get the dupe.

I can of course cancel it at that point, but would like to stop it doing that.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Ok, when I stopped the sync this time, the main disk disappeared from the desktop and the -1 one remained.

The problem seems to be that it's trying to connect twice at login. When I watch it startup, it mounts the idisk on its own first (it's ticked as a login item in System Prefs -> Accounts -> Login) then it brings up a dialogue asking me for my password. When I enter that, I get the dupe.

I can of course cancel it at that point, but would like to stop it doing that.

It is a while since I used this (ran out of disk space so had to stop the syncing)

Does it need to be an item in the login pref?

I dont have syncing enabled, but iDisk is on my desktop (which is similar but I access directly instead of have a local copy) and I don't have any login items for this

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
Thanks!

I assumed it had to be a login item as there was a checkbox for it, and I had to check those to auto-mount other network drives (I have a Time Capsule with another drive hanging off the USB port of that). When I unchecked that, and rebooted, I got only the one copy.

No idea why it's a checkbox since it seems it isn't needed and in fact causes problems, but no matter, problem solved. :)

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
Always. It's a pet hate of mine when people ask for help, get it and then don't report back. (Can't see how to edit the subject line to give it a 'Resolved:' prefix, though.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.