Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legendzm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
7/19/11 7:29:13.000 AM kernel: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed
7/19/11 7:32:43.000 AM kernel: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed
7/19/11 7:37:14.000 AM kernel: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed
7/19/11 7:45:41.000 AM kernel: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed

USB-Serial Controller D:

Product ID: 0x2008
Vendor ID: 0x0557 (ATEN International Co. Ltd.)
Version: 3.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
Location ID: 0xfa140000 / 6
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

any ideas?!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I don't know how to solve your problem, but if it's any comfort to know, Apple didn't kill USB to serial adapters in Lion. Just tested it with a Laserjet 6MP. I have a Belkin adapter, though.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Probable cause is the driver kext is 32-bit while Lion has a 64-bit kernel. You may need to install the 64-bit kext.

deancs

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
I am having issues with prolific 2303

I had the current driver installed and reinstalled it after lion upgrade. Device is seen by OSX (as per below), however I am unable to correctly read the serial port. I have tried terminal/screen, goSerial.app as well as my java based monitoring app. The serial device attached sends an XML stream every 6 seconds and the incoming data is received however its not legible. Any ideas ?

Code:
USB-Serial Controller:

Product ID:	0x2303
  Vendor ID:	0x067b  (Prolific Technology, Inc.)
  Version:	3.00
  Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	Prolific Technology Inc.
  Location ID:	0x04100000 / 2
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	100

legendzm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
regardless of what I do, when I go to system preferences and click the + to add the USB Serial Controller, it does not appear as an option from the list

deancs

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
I had the current driver installed and reinstalled it after lion upgrade. Device is seen by OSX (as per below), however I am unable to correctly read the serial port. I have tried terminal/screen, goSerial.app as well as my java based monitoring app. The serial device attached sends an XML stream every 6 seconds and the incoming data is received however its not legible. Any ideas ?

Code:
USB-Serial Controller:

Product ID:	0x2303
  Vendor ID:	0x067b  (Prolific Technology, Inc.)
  Version:	3.00
  Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	Prolific Technology Inc.
  Location ID:	0x04100000 / 2
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	100

I setup a snow leopard virtual machine under lion (using virtualbox). Assigned my prolific usb device to the VM and installed same prolific driver as I installed under lion. Tested serial access using goSerial.app and as well as my Java based data-collector.

This configuration works just fine. The SL VM is running a 32bit kernel

Last edited:

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
is this for a terminal connection? That's about the only thing I can think you would still need a serial cable for

There are many more devices that use them. I have an Amateur Radio transiver that can be controlled via a serial connection. I use a Keyspan adapter for that. I also need to separately control the transmitter, and I use an IOGEAR adapter for that. There are also instruments, controllers for r/c (gyros, motor, chargers), etc.

To upgrade, I downloaded the new Prolific driver (for the 2303 chip, ProlificUsbSerial.kext). The problem with that was it had a different vendor and device ID. I found some info on how to get he driver to work with a different brand - though still using the Prolific driver. The trick was to patch the device and vendor IDs into the driver's Info.plist. Note, the info in the Mac System Profiler/Info is in HEX - the IDs in the plist are decimal.

Once that patch was done, I was able to use the adapter in both 64-bit and 32-bit. I figured if I got it working in 64-bit in SL, it should work in Lion. The good news is I just tested it, and it does indeed work in Lion. (whew - those adapters were my one big worry about updating)

Edit: note: My old friend ZTerm is now a Universal binary. Thought that was going to go the way of Rosetta. The device I currently use it with is to receive data from a CW decoder (Morse code) connected to the audio from my radio receiver.

Last edited:

rsd99

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
got it working following this guide: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060105104506687

life saver, can't work without this adapter

works for me too :) i don't know what i would do without mine. In my Cisco lab i was able to use reverse telnet from one of my router's aux ports, but when i am onsite working on a router, i don't have that privilege....some customers don't like you messing with production stuff during the day. Thanks again for the tip.

Zyrtec

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
The problem with that was it had a different vendor and device ID. I found some info on how to get he driver to work with a different brand - though still using the Prolific driver. The trick was to patch the device and vendor IDs into the driver's Info.plist. Note, the info in the Mac System Profiler/Info is in HEX - the IDs in the plist are decimal.

Yes, thank you gr8tfly very much, this was really the right solution for me !
You really make me happy :)

Zyrtec

gcarey3

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
got it working following this guide: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060105104506687

life saver, can't work without this adapter

I followed that guide but found a few minor changes were needed.

First, the parameters in Info.plist were idProduct and idVendor in the Prolific driver version I downloaded (1.4.0). They were easy to spot though.

The decimal values given worked as-is for me since I also have the ATEN adapter.

One more thing, to reload the extension I used the following:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ProlificUsbSerial.kext

It wouldn't work with the /Contents/Info.plist added on the end like it was specified; that threw an error.

JonesMatt

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
I know this thread is getting old and that you guys already seems to have gotten this working, but I just wanted to mention that I have had several Prolific based usb to serial adapters, most of them have been problemetic. I recently bought a FTDI based usb serial adapter and it installed without any problems. What I have read other places is that the Prolific drivers and chipset is a low cost product which is why it often causes problems. The FTDI drivers apparrently should be a better quality.

Photovore

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2011
Old thread indeed, but I wish to post:

I had the problem with an old Keyspan USA-28X adapter; the driver (v.2.5, c 2007) doesn't work past OS X 10.6.x --

However, the adapters are now being made again -- by TrippLite. They have a new driver which officially supports only (among 2-port models) the newer USA-28XG. There is a little notice, however, in the installer program, that other adapters may well work; they're just not supported.

WELL, the new driver worked for me in my lab under 10.7.5; read the old USA-28X just fine. Problem solved for me!

Go to tripplite.com, look for that product and the support page; the newer driver is there....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.