Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhall527

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I have two gmail accounts and two school related webmail accounts. I have three of them forwarding to one of my gmail accounts where they are automatically labeled based on which account they are from so in my Inbox I can immediately see which e-mail was sent to which account.

In Apple's Mail application I was wondering if it was possible to have only my main gmail account (which receives mail from all the other accounts) as a mailbox but still be able to send mail from the three other accounts.

Basically, I don't want to see the Inboxes and folders for the other three accounts but I still want to be able to send e-mails from them via Mail.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
There is no way to make an IMAP inbox completely invisible, but they are all collected under the "Inbox" dropdown in the accounts/folders pane. Just hide them so the individual accounts aren't visible. You can already specify a "Reply from" address in Mail.

jhall527

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

I guess I was just trying to be a little too anal retentive about how I wanted Mail setup.

Thanks!

jhall527

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I found a solution that works. I set up all of my accounts in Mail but set all but one (my primary gmail accounts) as inactive. Then, on the account page for my primary gmail accounts, in the box that lists the e-mail address, I added each of the other three addresses in the form of a comma-separated list. No I can send from each of the four accounts while only having one account active.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.