Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:22 PM   #1
basher
macrumors 6502

JDK For Lion?

With the Mac Java stuff being handled by Oracle when Lion is released, what will be the best way to get a JDK to continue Java development under the Mac O/S?

I tried looking for info at Oracle's web site and I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find an answer.
basher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:49 PM   #2
jiminaus
macrumors 65816

Apple will provide a J2SE 6 JRE and JDK for Lion just as they did for Snow Leopard. Oracle/OpenJDK will step in with J2SE 7 onwards.

Quote from the press release.
Quote:
Apple also confirmed that Java SE 6 will continue to be available from Apple for Mac OS X Snow LeopardŽ and the upcoming release of Mac OS X Lion. Java SE 7 and future versions of Java for Mac OS X will be available from Oracle.
jiminaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:13 PM   #3
basher
macrumors 6502

Sounds good. Will I need to do anything special tomorrow after I upgrade to Lion so I can keep on compiling Java code?
basher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:20 AM   #4
Koifim
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by basher View Post
Sounds good. Will I need to do anything special tomorrow after I upgrade to Lion so I can keep on compiling Java code?
Well, I did an upgrade to Lion and started NetBeans which uses Java and it said it could not find Java. In the pop-up it gave you have the option of going to Software Update to download Java for Lion and that's what I did and NetBeans starts normally now!
Koifim is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming