Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:21 AM   #1
Ramblly
macrumors newbie

Angry Keyboard does not respond when I type

When I type, the keyboard does not always respond. I can fix it by unplugging the keyboard cord from the computer and then plug it back in. I bought a new keyboard, and the problem is still there. The mouse works, the keyboard works, so what could cause this intermittent problem of the keyboard not responding?
Ramblly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:50 AM   #2
And
macrumors 6502

Have you tried checking the terminals (dirt, plastic, loose) have you blown in the USB ports to see if there's anything obstructing the connection? Have you tried a different USB port? Have you tried a different keyboard in the same port? etc. etc.
And is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Nishi100
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblly View Post
When I type, the keyboard does not always respond. I can fix it by unplugging the keyboard cord from the computer and then plug it back in. I bought a new keyboard, and the problem is still there. The mouse works, the keyboard works, so what could cause this intermittent problem of the keyboard not responding?
This suggests a problem with the USB port on our computer; try plugging the mouse into the USB port that currently has the keyboard plugged in (obviously, take out the keyboard first) - if mouse becomes unresponsive then you know that it's a USB port problem (on your computer), so you could take it to an Apple store - even if you're out of warranty, or don't use that USB port.

If the mouse works fine whilst in the potentially faulty USB port then plug your keyboard into a different USB port, if the problem continues then you know it's not a problems with the ports on your computer. (To verify).

The next stage is to check the keyboard connections for loose wiring, or fraying of the cable - it is possible that you were unlucky twice.

Then, if possible, dual boot with another OS (xp, Windows vista, Windows 7; there a 30 day activation 'trial' with Windows 7, so you don't need to purchase it for this little test; if not, you could use ubuntu), and (using the same USB port) see if the keyboard is still unresponsive. If it is, then it's a problem with your keyboard; if it's fine then it's a problem with the Mac OS X *driver*.
Nishi100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Ramblly
macrumors newbie

Smile Solution to keyboard does not respond to typing: 8-8-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishi100 View Post
This suggests a problem with the USB port on our computer; try plugging the mouse into the USB port that currently has the keyboard plugged in (obviously, take out the keyboard first) - if mouse becomes unresponsive then you know that it's a USB port problem (on your computer), so you could take it to an Apple store - even if you're out of warranty, or don't use that USB port.

If the mouse works fine whilst in the potentially faulty USB port then plug your keyboard into a different USB port, if the problem continues then you know it's not a problems with the ports on your computer. (To verify).

The next stage is to check the keyboard connections for loose wiring, or fraying of the cable - it is possible that you were unlucky twice.

Then, if possible, dual boot with another OS (xp, Windows vista, Windows 7; there a 30 day activation 'trial' with Windows 7, so you don't need to purchase it for this little test; if not, you could use ubuntu), and (using the same USB port) see if the keyboard is still unresponsive. If it is, then it's a problem with your keyboard; if it's fine then it's a problem with the Mac OS X *driver*.
I NOW HAVE THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM OF KEYBOARD DOES NOT RESPOND TO TYPING:

I now have the solution to my problem. The new keyboard did not solve the problem of the keyboard failing to respond to typing. But i was given the solution from another source, and that solution worked The solution is as follows:

_SMC RESET_

Instructions for SMC RESET:

Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord _and all peripherals_.
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
Release the power button.
Attach the computer's power cable.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
. Plug all the peripherals back into the computer
Ramblly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac