Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cartageno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Hi,

I really need to know about the compatibility with the Adobe CS3 ( Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat Professional ). Does anyone here know?

thanks for your time

Reactions: travelsheep

shawnmknox

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
A word about CS3 and support

I was wondering the same thing about CS3 compatibility with Lion and based on an experience I had a couple of days ago with Adobe I thought I would throw this word of caution out. If you do have problems with CS3 on Lion, or Snow Leopard, for that matter, your support from Adobe will most likely be limited to their written online support database. CS3 suddenly stopped working on my iMac b/c of a licensing error over the weekend. I searched the forums and tried every possible posted solution by Adobe and others to resolve the problem and now I can't reinstall CS3 so I'm having to work off my laptop. I chatted with an Adobe rep and after about 10 minutes was told that I would need to refer to their written support on the website and that they no longer offer phone support b/c it's old software. I told the rep that I also download PS 5.1 to try out to see if I want to upgrade and I also can't install it so the CS3 problem seems to be affecting this also. I was told by the Adobe rep to buy the full version of PS 5 and then get back to them if it doesn't work. This is what outsourcing does for loyal customers!

In other words, Adobe told me it's time I pay them some more $ and upgrade to CS5. It goes without saying that I was very upset about this :mad:but this is just the way Adobe is now. So I guess what I'm saying is if you're unsure of whether CS3 is compatible with Lion wait until you're sure unless you're prepared to upgrade.

Last edited:

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Highly doubt it will run under Lion. If there's a shred of PowerPC code in any of the apps, said app won't run because Lion doesn't come with Rosetta. MR covered this back in June:

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/os-x-lion-to-drop-rosetta-support-for-powerpc-applications/

For clarification: Dropping Rosetta was covered, not that CS3 won't run because of PPC code.

As people claim to run CS3 on Snow Leopard without Rosetta installed, I wouldn't abandon all hope just yet... Not that I'm overly hopeful, but time will tell.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Adobe CS is what's keeping me from upgrading to Lion. This conversation is pertinent to me, as I'll be more likely to try to find an old copy of CS3 than spend the money on CS5, but if CS3 won't run, then I'll have to look to CS4, I guess...

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
On the GM I had a nasty problem with Photoshop CS3... the program laucned and all that good stuff but when i tried to save the image I got an error message telling me I had no available disk space..then my HD went bonkers and Spotlight began to re-index evertyhing.

Im still not sure if it was a Lion or Adobe problem... either way I would avoid CS3...i purchased CS5 just to be on the safe side

hope that helps

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
or you can do what i'm doing.

wait till someone else gets it, and have them try it.

or wait till one of the guys here gets lion and wait till they try it.

Or if you guys each give me 5 bucks ill try installing CS3 on Lion :rolleyes:

jtrenda33

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
needs the new java update

I haven't been able to test if my apps work yet, but when i tried to launch photoshop cs3, software update opened saying i needed the new java update. once i download and install that, which will be very shortly, i will let ya'll know, but it didn't get marked as 'incompatible software'...only dropbox did.

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
I haven't been able to test if my apps work yet, but when i tried to launch photoshop cs3, software update opened saying i needed the new java update. once i download and install that, which will be very shortly, i will let ya'll know, but it didn't get marked as 'incompatible software'...only dropbox did.

try saving an image and see if it gives you HD problem

jtrenda33

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
works fine.

yep. just finished installing lion on both computers (macbook pro 2010, iMac 2007) and both cs3's work just fine. i saved a picture from macrumors.com and edited it and it saved it just fine. quit photoshop, opened the image again and no errors. you should be good!

Juxtaposed

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
it isn't working on my mb pro

pops up a box:

To open “Adobe Photoshop CS3,” you need to install a Java runtime, but you are not connected to the Internet.

I am, however, connected to the internets.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Not sure about CS3 but this still might help if it doesn't work.

I am on CS2 and it does not work.

I use Aperture 99% of the time and CS2 about once or twice a month. Paying for an upgrade would be foolish for me.

Thus I took an older 200 gig Firewire drive and installed SL and CS2. I will boot from that drive when I need CS2.

It is a bit a a pain but it has saved me a bundle not paying for an upgrade.

CS2 is my last PowerPC software.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
To open “Adobe Photoshop CS3,” you need to install a Java runtime, but you are not connected to the Internet.

When I first updated I had an app with a similar Java popup. I ran system update and downloaded Java update for 10.7 and everything has been perfect ever since.

ekimeel

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
new install?

I want to buy the mini release today, but not sure if I can install adobe cs3 on the new lion. Did all of you get it to work by using the migration assistance? Will I able to install adobe cs3 on a new mini? thanks for the help

NoRights

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
Ohio
I was wondering the same thing about CS3 compatibility with Lion and based on an experience I had a couple of days ago with Adobe I thought I would throw this word of caution out. If you do have problems with CS3 on Lion, or Snow Leopard, for that matter, your support from Adobe will most likely be limited to their written online support database. CS3 suddenly stopped working on my iMac b/c of a licensing error over the weekend.
I've dealt with the licensing error a number of times since SL came out. First time I reinstalled. After that I found the Licensing Repair Tool and run it.

breadesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
UK
lion and CS3

I have it running on a test machine and InDesign and Illustrator CS3 print causes the programs to crash.

I would stay away for the moment.

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
- Installation works fine (but, as always, takes ages to complete)
- Updating works except for Illustrator, since someone at Adobe thought it would be a great idea to use a PowerPC-only patching application
- The license agreement screen looks funny and you can't see the buttons until you scroll the window contents

I haven't really used it yet, so I assume there are more problems waiting. If you rely on CS3 for daily work, I would definitely wait before upgrading.

Also, I wouldn't count on Adobe releasing an update, or at least fixing the broken Illustrator update. Back when Snow Leopard was released (less than a year after I bought CS3, which is still the single most expensive piece of software I own) and a few problems showed up, Adobe didn't care either.

bobshoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
CS thru CS2 Does not work with LION

CS thru CS2 Does not work with LION. After installation, none of my Adobe programs work with LION because of Power PC elements. This includes the entire creative suite and Acrobat. These are the most expensive programs I own. The older versions work fine for my uses. I don't want or need to buy them again since they are too old for an upgrade.
After the scab tore off my ulcer, I called Apple. I have Apple Care. When I explained what happened, they set an appointment for me within two hours at my local Apple Store to restore Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro. Apple could not have been more understanding or helpful. I'm leaving for the store now.
When will I learn NEVER to install a new operating system until I research the issues surrounding it? On the other hand, what I did learn was to have Apple Care, backup with Time Machine and not hesitate to call Apple for help.
:eek:

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
- Installation works fine (but, as always, takes ages to complete)
- Updating works except for Illustrator, since someone at Adobe thought it would be a great idea to use a PowerPC-only patching application
- The license agreement screen looks funny and you can't see the buttons until you scroll the window contents

I haven't really used it yet, so I assume there are more problems waiting. If you rely on CS3 for daily work, I would definitely wait before upgrading.

Also, I wouldn't count on Adobe releasing an update, or at least fixing the broken Illustrator update. Back when Snow Leopard was released (less than a year after I bought CS3, which is still the single most expensive piece of software I own) and a few problems showed up, Adobe didn't care either.

I've been using Lion for a while (as a developer) with CS3 Design Premium. Indesign works fine (I use it heavily), as well as Photoshop. Illustrator seems to work fine (light usage), although the Adobe Updater could not apply the latest patch. Acrobat and Distiller is totally broken for me (luckily I don't really need them for my work).

nickofari

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
CS3 is working fine for me under Lion. Just upgraded last Wed (10-12-2011).

After Lion upgrade (rather than clean/complete install), I clicked on my shortcut to Adobe Illustrator/CS3, and a dialog box opened saying I needed a Java runtime component - which had a link to install. It installed, then Illustrator opened fine. I haven't run into any problems with Photoshop or Illustrator. I haven't tried any of the other CS3 apps.

Good luck!

System info:
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.7.2

Sorry for bumping this old post, but can anyone confirm if Adobe CS3 is working well with Lion?

DigitalHerbal

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
Illustrator CS3 still won't open in Lion

I did download the Java 10.7 update off of ADC, but Illustrator still won't open. I jumped from Leopard to Snow Leopard and right to Lion so not sure it will open in Snow Leopard for that matter. Wondering now why I did all that (oh yeah, iCloud . . . ). Getting " . . . Power PC applications no longer supported."

Any more suggestions?
It seems like other have this working somehow.

thanks

I had to download Java 10.7 off of ADC, which Im assuming will be out soon, but that solved the issue for all java applet related issues. shazam.

http://connect.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MemberSite.woa/wa/getSoftware?bundleID=20773

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Mountain Lion?

With the next OSX Mountain Lion being released in July I'm wondering if anyone has tested CS3 with it, or at least the beta of 10.8?

I'm looking at getting the rumored iMac upgrade in July (USB3, Ivy Bridge) but it might come with ML and I just won't have the money to get a new copy of Photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.