Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geomar7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Hi,

After I had legally downloaded the Lion version and started the install my imac restarted the update begun. At some point I got this message:

Install Failed
Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer
Mac OSX can't be installed on the disk Leopard HD, because a recovery system can't be created. Visit http://www.apple.com/support/no-recovery to learn more.

Click restart to return to your previous vesrion of Mac OSX.

Did anyone else had the same problem?
Help....

Enori

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Poland
Mine install went fine, but then I noticed that I have no Recovery HD. I was partitioning my drive and had bootcamp. I think I will do clean install now.

Geomar7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
No, nothing see attached pic
5957656433_82c0f212b5.jpg

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I got the same and hit reset. It then installed Lion fine without me doing anything (other than reset).

IMG_0004.JPG

Last edited:

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Any ideas? :confused:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-20 at 8.49.23 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-20 at 8.49.23 AM.png
    241.6 KB · Views: 362

Geomar7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Tried it not working still....

Do I have to install SL again for a clean install?

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Tried it not working still....

Do I have to install SL again for a clean install?

Well, there's a few more tricks worth trying before that:
- In System Preferences go in Accounts then remove all Login Items except iTunes Helper.
- disconnect anything that is not absolutely necessary from your computer, if any.
Restart with a SMC reset and try install again.

uwantjesse

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
I'm having the same problem after I hit restart it just sits at the apple screen with the spinning thing I ran fdisk from s mode no problems but still sitting at the apple screen.

lawgraphix

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2006
mine installed , rebooted... now on apple.. with spinning rays... its been like this for at least 30 minutes.... failed? 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo MBP 17"

Lazlow

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
I had the same problem as the OP, and I figured out the problem.

First, I read in a few other threads that some people fixed their issues by just repairing disk permissions in Disk Utility prior to installation.

My issue, though, was that my Windows partition was formatted in NTFS. According to the installer log, the Lion installer writes a new boot.ini file onto your Windows partition, but it can't do that if your partition's formatted in NTFS. If yours is, back up all your Windows data and reformat it in FAT32. Or do what I did and use the Boot Camp Assistant to just wipe out the partition completely (and recreate it later).

Now Lion's installing fine for me!

icanhasiphone?

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
San Diego, CA
Grrrr

I'm having the same problem, I've repaired permissions but still doesn't work. I reallllly don't want to have to get rid of my windows bootcamp partition just to install Lion, Seems like more trouble than it's worth...

Don't know what I'm gonna do :mad:

Geomar7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
After trying everything else, I'm once more installing Leopard and I will give it a try...:mad:

as2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2004
Restart from your original install CD and run disk repair.

I had the same issue. The installer creates the recovery partition for Lion, but if there are issues with the disk that need fixing it can't do this.

After repairing the disk (not the permissions) it should work fine.

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I have not been able to get ANY developer preview or the GM of Lion to install on a (software) RAID volume. This is why I am surprised Apple has released it today, as I can't get it to install on my 2010 Mac mini server in a RAID 0 configuration. This is quite clearly unacceptable, and I believe the recovery partition is the problem.

If I boot from an external USB hard drive, setup the RAID and install... it fails and then ends up in an endless "install failed" loop unless you reset the PRAM or boot into the Leopard/Snow Leopard installer.

Absolutely madness!!

I have no idea if it would work with a volume presented by an apple raid card.

Last edited:

lawgraphix

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2006
mine installed , rebooted... now on apple.. with spinning rays... its been like this for at least 30 minutes.... failed? 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo MBP 17"

Fixed. Just hold SHIFT as the computer starts to boot in Safe Mode. Restart afterwards. Yes!

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
Any ideas? :confused:

That happens to me when I wasn't online. Still having the OP's problem. Attempted to make a recovery disk with an extra external, but it's Firewire 400 and my laptop's only 800. Tried USB, that didn't work either. Tried formatting a 4 gig card but it says it's too small.

Ugh, going to try repairing disk permissions then trying again. I'll report back if that works.

Don't mind having the recovery partition on my laptop, but I really don't want it on my desktop's SSD, might have to just burn a DVD. Not going to install Lion on the desktop yet anyway until I can be sure the 4890 will work with it. Bah, this is becoming way more trouble than I thought it would...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.