Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
VA
I have searched everywhere and it seems I am the only one who actually doesn't want to be seen by other computers. I like the idea of airdrop and all, but I would rather enable it when I actually need it. And I don't want to just hide it by removing it from the finder sidebar, I want to completely disable the function so that my computer won't show up on others airdrop windows.

O.S. Ecks

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I have searched everywhere and it seems I am the only one who actually doesn't want to be seen by other computers. I like the idea of airdrop and all, but I would rather enable it when I actually need it. And I don't want to just hide it by removing it from the finder sidebar, I want to completely disable the function so that my computer won't show up on others airdrop windows.

I am in the same boat, you're not alone :)

I won't debate whether I think airdrop is good, useful, etc. I am very security conscious and would prefer a method of disabling the capability altogether. I am also the OSX admin at my place of work and again, for security reasons, I need to be able to disable this feature to protect my user's data.

Thus far, I've found many hints that it can be disabled, but no instructions on how to actually go about doing it. I'd appreciate any tops. Thanks.

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
When I was testing the new profile manager in Lion Server it was possible to disable AirDrop, it may be possible to disable it via MCX also.

Also if your machines don't require Wi-Fi networking, removing the Wi-Fi interface from the Network prefpane will render AirDrop inoperative.

Last edited:

O.S. Ecks

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
"educate" your users (OMG!) or remove it from their finder lists with an automator task

Thank you for your comments but they do not get to the core of the issue. "Not using it", "Not clicking on it" or "Hiding the icon" doesn't prevent a user (legitimate or malicious) from circumventing those measures.

I am looking for advice from those who are in my situation or have the same admin/IT security concerns as I do. If you don't share my concerns, it would be better to keep you comments to yourself as they are not helping me get to a solution.

The purpose of my follow up (to be clear) is to determine whether there is a method for disabling the airdrop feature in Lion.

O.S. Ecks

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
When I was testing the new profile manager in Lion Server it was possible to disable AirDrop, it may be possible to disable it via MCX also.

Also if your machines don't require AirPort, removing the Wi-Fi interface from the Network prefpane will render AirPort inoperative.

Thanks, we had kicked around the idea of disabled the airport, and may actually do that for our desktops. Might be more challenging for the laptop's though, but that's something to consider. Thanks for the followup, I'll look at the server option and MCX.

Nuckinfuts

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Thank you for your comments but they do not get to the core of the issue. "Not using it", "Not clicking on it" or "Hiding the icon" doesn't prevent a user (legitimate or malicious) from circumventing those measures.

I am looking for advice from those who are in my situation or have the same admin/IT security concerns as I do. If you don't share my concerns, it would be better to keep you comments to yourself as they are not helping me get to a solution.

The purpose of my follow up (to be clear) is to determine whether there is a method for disabling the airdrop feature in Lion.

If I had known the question was directed towards an IT setting and not just "I'm concerned about security" my comments may have been worded differently.

But hey after poking around for all of 5 minutes, I may have found something since airdrop is an ad-hoc connection...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 2.43.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 2.43.33 PM.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,705

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Thanks, we had kicked around the idea of disabled the airport, and may actually do that for our desktops. Might be more challenging for the laptop's though, but that's something to consider. Thanks for the followup, I'll look at the server option and MCX.

When setting up a profile for either a person/group or device/device group under restrictions you can disable AirDrop completely. So you could have AirDrop off while still having Wi-Fi access.

I'm in a remote location and don't have access to Workgroup Manager (handy that the profile manager is a web interface) at the moment so I can't check the MCX settings and if they are available, I'll check later this evening.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 910

O.S. Ecks

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
If I had known the question was directed towards an IT setting and not just "I'm concerned about security" my comments may have been worded differently.

But hey after poking around for all of 5 minutes, I may have found something since airdrop is an ad-hoc connection...

Thanks. I have Ad-hoc connections disabled by default, I'm hoping that helps. Apologies if my original follow up to derickdub wasn't clear. In part it is that I'm security conscious, but mostly it has to do with securing IT resources for my agency. I should have been clearer, thanks for the follow up.

O.S. Ecks

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
When setting up a profile for either a person/group or device/device group under restrictions you can disable AirDrop completely. So you could have AirDrop off while still having Wi-Fi access.

I'm in a remote location and don't have access to Workgroup Manager (handy that the profile manager is a web interface) at the moment so I can't check the MCX settings and if they are available, I'll check later this evening.

Awesome Chris, thank you.

eurekarumor

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
Already clicked on it

I just migrated to Lion and did accidentally click on air drop..so, how do I turn it off now the nasty deed has been done? (Pleas make it simple - I have just spent hours upgrading drivers et al...)
THX

meanderingby

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Air Drop - I clicked it also!

I just got my new laptop and began poking around in there clicking buttons to see what things were ... and yes, I too clicked the Air Drop button before I realized what gates I'd opened.

I agree with others, I am security conscious and just do not like the idea of having my computer's presence broadcast to everyone. And I really do not like that it's a default position and people like me, who is totally not a wizard, struggle with discovery. I don't quite understand why that is a good thing and why it is a default. It seems to me all of this should be something that one must work to turn ON as opposed to turn OFF.

At any rate, I too, shall await for the response on what to do now that I've clicked the button! laments ~Mac, why do you do such things to us non-wizards?~ Thank you for this forum and all the useful information you provide.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I just migrated to Lion and did accidentally click on air drop..so, how do I turn it off now the nasty deed has been done? (Pleas make it simple - I have just spent hours upgrading drivers et al...)
THX

I just got my new laptop and began poking around in there clicking buttons to see what things were ... and yes, I too clicked the Air Drop button before I realized what gates I'd opened.

I agree with others, I am security conscious and just do not like the idea of having my computer's presence broadcast to everyone. And I really do not like that it's a default position and people like me, who is totally not a wizard, struggle with discovery. I don't quite understand why that is a good thing and why it is a default. It seems to me all of this should be something that one must work to turn ON as opposed to turn OFF.

At any rate, I too, shall await for the response on what to do now that I've clicked the button! laments ~Mac, why do you do such things to us non-wizards?~ Thank you for this forum and all the useful information you provide.

Air drop is only enabled when you click the airdrop button in finder. Once you close the finder window/ air drop window you are no longer broadcasting and airdrop is off. It is very Simple for regular consumers, on when needed off the rest of the time..... Nothing to worry about unless you are running a major companies IT department.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
I took two macs, had one click on air drop and waited to see if it was going to connect to the other. It never did, until I took the other mac and clicked air drop. As soon as I closed the air drop window, it immediately disappeared.

Also you cannot share a file without the other computer accepting it.

What if you turned on your firewall, ensured that you've configured it to drop/block all incoming connections and set it up in stealth mode?

cindyshelby

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
Airdrop disable

Go to finder .. look to the menu on the left .. airdrop is listed with an airballoon icon to the left of it. Click on it .. now you can see an animated radar icon which has activated airdrop and now you are broadcasting. Now click on another one of the links (applications, all my files, etc) and the airballoon icon reappears in place of the radar. You are no longer broadcasting and Airdrop is disabled. Easy as 123. :)

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
It can also be disabled by turning off Wifi. It will not run unless Wifi is enabled.

antsgeek

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
turn off Airdrop on OS Lion

If u click on the AIRDROP-try one of these:

Open your terminal > Application>Utilities>terminal.app
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser DisableAirDrop -bool YES
~~~~~~~~~
Go to System preferences > Security>Firewall must be turned ON
Remember your setting must be unlocked on your MAC to allow u to "Turn On Firewall"
~~~~~~~~~
investigate AirDrop Info
(click Control-Enter) when u highlight your AirDrop icon.
AirDrop Info has a "Locked" box which I HAVE NOT TRIED!
Try to place a Check in this box; I did not try it.
~~~~~~~~~
All I know is with my Firewall up- my Mac will not allow any outsiders from"browsing", adding, deleting, infecting or AIRdropping my files.!!!

pennbank

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
If u click on the AIRDROP-try one of these:

Open your terminal > Application>Utilities>terminal.app
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser DisableAirDrop -bool YES
~~~~~~~~~
Go to System preferences > Security>Firewall must be turned ON
Remember your setting must be unlocked on your MAC to allow u to "Turn On Firewall"
~~~~~~~~~
investigate AirDrop Info
(click Control-Enter) when u highlight your AirDrop icon.
AirDrop Info has a "Locked" box which I HAVE NOT TRIED!
Try to place a Check in this box; I did not try it.
~~~~~~~~~
All I know is with my Firewall up- my Mac will not allow any outsiders from"browsing", adding, deleting, infecting or AIRdropping my files.!!!

You can always right click and remove AirDrop from the Finder sidebar.

julianabr

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
I see that "O.S. Ecks" (I just got that...) and "Chris Grande" came up with a solution using profiles in a corporate setting.

Do you know if this solution can translate to individual users? Or, can I treat my household of 6 or so macs as an entity that can use profiles? Or do I have to be running a server?

Let's just assume the "don't click" answers won't do it for me. I want it completely disabled.

Thx!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I see that "O.S. Ecks" (I just got that...) and "Chris Grande" came up with a solution using profiles in a corporate setting.

Do you know if this solution can translate to individual users? Or, can I treat my household of 6 or so macs as an entity that can use profiles? Or do I have to be running a server?

Let's just assume the "don't click" answers won't do it for me. I want it completely disabled.

Thx!

You'd have to have a server running to do the Profile Manager approach. Of course, Mountain Lion Server is only $20, so it's not particularly expensive, nor is it difficult to set up.

jW

claidheamdanns

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Memphis, TN
Not for security reasons

I also would like to disable AirDrop, but not for security reasons.

It is taking up a key command that is very close to another one that I use all the time, so it keeps coming up by accident. And I've found no way to disable it's key command.

I've not used AirDrop once in it's existence, nor do I envision ever having a use for it. So, it bothers me that Apple has given us no way to turn it off.

So, this really isn't a security question at all, it's a matter of Apple forcing what it deems a good feature on the users, without giving them any option of whether they want it to be there or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.