Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Tomorrow I'll be installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 on my PC and I would like to port all of my iPhone backups to the new installation. I would like to stress that I am not using two different computers; I am hoping to be able to save the files to an external hard disk and then put the files back on after Windows has been re-installed. If anyone could help me with this I'd be eternally grateful. :)

I don't want to just sync my iPhone with iTunes to create a new backup, because my iPhone 4 is currently jailbroken and I have a backup of it from before it was jbed that I would like to keep available.

Cooolpenner

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
The backups are stored in C:/Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Just copy the content to an external drive and after installing Windows7 move them back into this location.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
The backups are stored in C:/Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Just copy the content to an external drive and after installing Windows7 move them back into this location.

I'll try this. Thanks!

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Canada

This directory doesn't exist in Windows 7. Anyone have any other ideas?

EDIT: It seems to exist as I've found files in the App Data folder by doing a search but when I go into the "USERNAME" folder I don't see App Data.

Obviously with "USERNAME" being replaced with my actual name. :p

EDIT: I found out how to get it. The AppData folder is hidden by default (even if you're Admin :confused:). You have to create a shortcut on the desktop and specify the location as %AppData% and you're good. Just in case anyone was wondering. :)

Last edited:

circusbass

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
So just to be clear. If I copy those files from the Mac folder specified to the PC folder specified I should be able to start using the PC to sync instead of the Mac?

gilesybaby

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Yes, I'm interested in moving from OSX to new Win7 too!

Harder than I'd have ever thought possible...

circusbass

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
I finally got it to work. Here is what I did.

1. Plug iPhone into Win7 machine
2. Right click on the phone and select backup
3. Right click transfer purchases
4. Restore the phone using the backup you just made
5. At this point all your saved data is back (contacts, texts, game saves)
6. Click on the apps tab and then click sync apps
7. The apps are all back on your phone now, however, you have to reorganize them into folders.

That was how I moved my iPhone 4 from a Powerbook G4 to a new Windows 7 machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.