Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akin67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Those of you who are using a Mac Mini as a HTPC, what wireless keyboard / trackpad / mouse are you using? It would be great if Apple had a version of the wireless keyboard and trackpad as a single unit. I am guessing it would not be practical to use two separate pieces as they both can't sit on your lap. I just ordered a Mac Mini to place in my home entertainment center and have not figured out the best input device combos. Please provide suggestions.

Thanks,

TheBaconKing

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
If your willing to spend the money, then I would say the Bluetooth keyboard and the bluetooth wireless trackpad. There are also some keyboard/trackpad all in ones sold out there (logitech), but to get the most out of the Mac (lion) Then you gotta have the trackpad for the multitouch gestures.

I'm still on the edge about purchasing a mini as a HTPC, but if I do I would use the Bluetooth keyboard I bought with the iPad (and never used) and purchase the trackpad. I just don't know if I want to drop the $700 on one when I have a MacBook pro that still works like the day I got it, and an iPad.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Haven't used it with a HTPC setup, but bought one of these for a 42" LCD touchscreen in my classroom (the on screen KB not good). it's pretty much like a laptop without a screen but much lighter.

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Well, even though I don't have a mac mini, I use an app called pearpad (available on the iOS app store), which is a cheap application that turns your iphone/touch/iPad into a trackpad and/or keyboard to control your computer. The only catch is you need to have the pearpad desktop application, a free application, and wi-fi running in order for the set up to work. Also, the app doesn't turn your iOS device into a second monitor, but by the sounds of it, you won't be needing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.