Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Electricpig reports that early benchmarking data obtained by Laptopmag.com from Apple's new MacBook Air models released today demonstrate significant performance improvements over the previous generation and even other Apple notebooks. Testing was performed using the Geekbench benchmarking tools.

macbook_air_2011_geekbench.jpg

According to the report, not only do the new MacBook Air models at least double the scores of the previous generation in testing with Geekbench, but the new machines also compare extremely favorably to even high-end MacBook Pro models from last year.
The new 13-inch MacBook Air earned a Geekbench score of 5860, a bump in performance of over 100 percent compared to last year's model. The 11-inch MacBook Air was even more impressive, skyrocketing from 2024 to 5040 for 149 percent increase.

To put these benchmarks into perspective, the 2010 17-inch 2.67 GHz Core i7 MacBook Pro scored 5423. For £849 the 11-inch MacBook Air offers a benchmark on par with last year's £2099 17-inch MacBook Pro.
Geekbench testing focuses on processor and memory performance, providing comparisons of raw power between machines but only telling part of the story. Consequently, it remains to be seen how the new MacBook Air models will stack up in real-world situations, but early indications suggest that Apple's ultraportable lineup has indeed received a major increase in performance.

Article Link: Early Benchmarks Reveal New MacBook Air Rivaling High-End 2010 MacBook Pro

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to make a wild guess here and say that the MBP tested doesn't have an SSD? It doesn't seem to say on the site.

fattire357

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I wonder if other benchmarks can reproduce this or if it is an artificial result. It seems hard to believe this year's 1.7 GHz processor can outperform last year's 2.7 GHz processor

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Not entirely surprising, considering how aggressive the Turbo Boost is.

Everyone should keep in mind that Ivy Bridge is next year. This is when we should see a quad-core MacBook Air (and Mac Mini), and 8-core iMacs. Additionally, there will also be the move to 22nm fabrication processes in addition to 3D transistors, which should be comparable to a fabrication shrink itself.

If you think this year was a big boost, wait until you see what Intel has in store for next year.

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I'm going to make a wild guess here and say that the MBP tested doesn't have an SSD? It doesn't seem to say on the site.

You're probably correct, but its still impressive to see that comparison even given that fact. The 2010 MBP is fast with a typical hard drive.....to get that kinda juice out of an ultraportable is pretty awesome.

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Not entirely surprising.

Everyone should keep in mind that Ivy Bridge is next year. This is when we should see a quad-core MacBook Air (and Mac Mini), and 8-core iMacs. Additionally, there will also be the move to 22nm fabrication processes in addition to 3D transistors, which should be comparable to a fabrication shrink itself.

If you think this year was a big boost, wait until you see what Intel has in store for next year.

The jump from SB to IB won't be as big as C2D to SB. You'll be very disappointed.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I really only use my 11" MBA for web browsing. I have a desktop PC as my workhorse.

Still, seeing these improvements makes me very jealous.

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
Hahahaha. Give the MBP a decent SSD, then we'll see what's faster.

with that logic, give the MBA the faster i7 processor as well to make it all "equal" :roll eyes:

Seriously, though. I am pleased to see high scores. Now if we can get secondary testing to validate these numbers...

PeterSharp

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Maybe I am crazy, but Ive just realised that I want new 11inch MBA and Thunderbolt Display. Am I crazy? I need feedback. I want it mostly for Aperture and Photoshop. Cinema display has firewire so I can connect my external drives. Seems perfect. Doesnt it?

ArnieX

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
I don’t really like it

I’m really happy that I have bought old one 13“ coz missing NVIDIA Graphic card is NO BUY factor for me. I do hate anything called Intel HDXXXX maybe good for portability but I don’t care… step back for me. Anyway - objective power is different than this test just because it is only the highest power of CPU not CPU+GPU as 1part so I thing first gen is better and backlit keyboard isn’t something I would really appreciate :) but anyway I’m happy that I don’t have to be disappointed that I have bought old one instead of new one :)

wait until the refresh of the MBP.

it will take few features from MBA (SSDs, no super drive) and bring it to MBP

then MBP (35 watt TDP CPU) smack MBA (17 watt TDP CPU) in the face

I'm most excited for the MBP (IB) refresh. Standard Quad Core (3D Transistors look fantastic), new gen of AMD mGPUs, no ODD and .75 inch body, standard SSD...and most of all, the much needed resolution bump. 1280x800 on the 13" MBP is a total joke. I can't believe Apple got away with that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.