Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:47 PM   #1
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
5 little preferences to make Lion look & act more like Snow Leopard did

Hello everyone,

I put together a quick little blog post of somethings that I found useful when dealing with Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion". I personally don't care for some of the new default options in Lion, but thankfully they are just that, options. So these tips put back some of the features that Lion automatically switches off for whatever reason. They are listed below.

I have a blog version of this which has some screenshots and images to help you out. So if you'd like to see that you can visit my blog post here.

#1 Inverse Scrolling (Natural Scrolling): This is a feature that people either love, or they hate. Inverse scrolling (also called Natural Scrolling) mimics the iPhone’s scrolling habits, meaning if you move your scroll wheel or trackpad down, the page will scroll up. And if you move it up it’ll scroll down. Make sense? No? Don’t worry you can shut it off. Simply go into System Preferences and click on either ‘Mouse’ (if you’re using a mouse) or ‘Trackpad’ (if you’re using a trackpad). The first option is titled “Scroll direction: natural”, just uncheck the box next to it and you’re done! Thankfully Apple has given us a choice in the matter.

#2 Dashboard (Widgets): In Lion Dashboard takes on a Spaces approach. Dashboard is accessed by swiping your multitouch pointing device to the right, which pushes in a big empty window with your widgets on them. So can we change this back to the old way of showing things? Yes we can! All you have to go is once again open up ‘System Preferences’ click on ‘Mission Control’ and uncheck the box that reads ‘Show Dashboard as a space’. It’s just that easy, again I’m thankful that Apple has given us an option for this, as the new way may not work well for some people.

#3 Mail’s New View: Like many things in Lion they seem to be pulled directly from the iPhone or iPad. The new Mail app allows you to read Mail in a few new views, you can view a two-column or three-column view similar to how the iPad would display your email. Now this is a personal preference, but here’s how you can put Mail back to looking how it did in Snow Leopard. First off, if you want to see all of your inboxes click the ‘Show All’ button at the top left of your mail window. That’s simple enough, now you can see all of your folders and boxes.

Now to change the viewing format you want to use simply go to the Mail app, go to the Mail menu and select ‘Preferences’ [Or while in Mail simply do the following keyboard shortcut, Command (Apple Key) , (comma)]. Select the ‘Viewing’ tab up top and check the first checkbox titled ‘Use classic layout’. Here you also have some more options. But that checkbox will make you feel much more at home if you don’t care for the new layout.

#4 Restore Finder Window Details (Path Bar & Status Bar): After upgrading to Lion I knew something was missing, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Then I realized it, the Path bar and Status bar on my Finder windows was missing! Some of you may not even realize what these are or even car, but the Path bar is the bar at the bottom of a window that tells you it’s location and what folder it’s in. The status bar tells you how many items are in a folder and how much disk space is available as well.

While this is nothing essential for most users, I personally like to know the path of the folder I’m in and the disk space available on the window I have open. Apple turns this off by default, but we can quickly turn it back on. Simply open any Finder window, now go to the ‘View’ menu and select ‘Show Path Bar’, the other option ‘Show Status Bar’ is right below it. So there you go, everything is back to normal. Now doesn’t that feel better?

#5 Need a Lion Install DVD?: Apple sure loves it’s new App Store. It saves them from making discs and shipping them to their store, it saves the planet some green too so it’s all well and good. It’s a great way for them to distribute their new OS. If you’ve installed Lion by now you know it’s a download-only operating system. It weighs in at about 3.76 GB and thankfully easily fits onto a single-layer DVD-R. The days of looking for a dual-layer DVD disc to burn a Mac OS X Install disc onto are thankfully behind us! A DVD copy of Lion is handy for those who don’t want to re-download a nearly 4GB file everytime you need to install Lion or need to use it as a bootup disk to diagnose a problem with a computer, or even use it when you replace your hard drive. It’s also handy for those who do not have easy access to a high-speed internet connection or have to install Lion on multiple machines. Thankfully the Install Lion app is pretty simple and you can easily share it on a network to do help with installing on multiple Macs. Apple officially offers a Lion installable USB flash drive, but it’s $69. You can save a bit by doing this yourself, you can use a friend’s internet connection to download Lion for $29, buy a 8GB USB flash drive for $12 and make your own bootable Lion USB installer! But that’s a whole other story…

To make a DVD of Lion simply find your ‘Install Mac OS X Lion.app’ and right-click it, select ‘Show Package Contents’ to expand what files are actually inside of this app. Now go to ‘Contents>SharedSupport’ and you’ll find a file named ‘InstallESD.dmg’ this is the Mac OS X Lion install disk image. To make a bootable DVD out of this open up Disk Utility (found under the Utilities folder of your Application folder). Drag the ‘InstallESD.dmg’ file from the Finder window to the bottom half of the sidebar on the Disk Utility window. Select the ‘InstallESD.dmg’ file from the sidebar in Disk Utility and click Burn, insert a regular ol’ blank 4.7GB DVD-R disc and you’re done! You can also make a Lion bootable USB drive or hard drive, but other places online have this covered.

I may add to this list if I come across anything else I find interesting. I hope some of these tips and tricks were useful to you!

-Steve

Last edited by LimeiBook86; Jul 20, 2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Added images
LimeiBook86 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Sky Blue

Good post, but very wordy. People just want to know how to set some things back, not a history on what it is and why you don't like it.
Sky Blue is offline   -24 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:52 PM   #3
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
I removed some text to make this easier to read as a guide rather then a blog post. The original post linked retains the full text & some images, including my personal opinions if you care to read them.
LimeiBook86 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:02 PM   #4
jav1231
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to jav1231 Send a message via Yahoo to jav1231
Thanks!
jav1231 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:31 PM   #5
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502

Thank you so much for the tips. I just installed Lion over Snow Leopard about an hour and a half ago, and during the first 10 minutes I didn't like it as much, and hated that they got rid of the status bar at the bottom of the window, but your thread helped me out with that, and with classic mail view, and the scroll bars. Now, if there was a way to get back the aqua scroll bars, Lion will be even better.
moderngamenewb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Elven
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Elven
Thanks for the Finder tip.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:37 PM   #7
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

You're all very welcome, I'm glad you're finding this information useful.
LimeiBook86 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:42 PM   #8
canyonblue737
macrumors 6502a

I have heard 4 GB USB sticks aren't enough as the 3.76 GB of the installation files + file system overhead on some sticks might exceed 4 GB. Some people have had issues, perhaps a 8 GB for $12 to play it safe would be a better bet.
canyonblue737 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:47 PM   #9
EricNau

You know, I haven't upgraded to Lion, but my path bar was disabled at some point (probably when I upgraded to Snow Leopard!) and I hadn't noticed. But I'm really enjoying it now that it's back.

So thanks!
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Kyle4
macrumors regular

Thanks, I was wondering how to get dashboard back to the way it was before.
Kyle4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:47 PM   #11
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue737 View Post
I have heard 4 GB USB sticks aren't enough as the 3.76 GB of the installation files + file system overhead on some sticks might exceed 4 GB. Some people have had issues, perhaps a 8 GB for $12 to play it safe would be a better bet.
I was able to do it on mine, but you make a good point, I've updated the article. Thanks for the feedback!
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Kyle4
macrumors regular

Do you know how to see how much space is free on the HD everywhere like in SL? I can't see it in trash or documents now etc.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:07 PM   #13
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle4 View Post
Do you know how to see how much space is free on the HD everywhere like in SL? I can't see it in trash or documents now etc.
This is what they call the 'Status Bar' that I mention above. On the Finder in Lion go to the 'View' menu and select 'Show Status Bar', just be sure to have a Finder window selected or the option will be greyed out. (See step #4 above)
Attached Images

LimeiBook86 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Kyle4
macrumors regular

Derp, don't know how I missed that. Thanks again!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:59 AM   #15
CFoss
macrumors 6502

If you burn Lion onto a DVD, can you install it on as many Macintosh computers as you want? Or are you still bound to the Apple ID it was purchased with? Does it know how many times you have authorized Lion with the DVD?
CFoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:13 AM   #16
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

I have no idea. I would guess no, but who knows what information Apple sends when you install the OS. However during the install you are not asked for an Apple ID or anything.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:18 AM   #17
Rivix
macrumors 6502a

Any way to get the finder icons back down to snow leopard size (they look larger for some reason)

Also, this is kinda big for me, any way to rearrange the order in the finder sidebar so that devices are on the top?

Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:22 AM   #18
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivix View Post
Any way to get the finder icons back down to snow leopard size (they look larger for some reason)

Also, this is kinda big for me, any way to rearrange the order in the finder sidebar so that devices are on the top?

Thanks!
I would love both of these things changed, however I haven't found a simple solution for either issue sadly.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:26 AM   #19
sunnyj
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tips
Samsung S4 Flickr
sunnyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:21 AM   #20
stewacide
macrumors regular

IMHO the most-key tweak in Lion and SL alike is turning off the tacky-as-all-hell-fake-"3D"-ick dock in favour of the classic 2D dock. Can be done via:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock
stewacide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:26 AM   #21
ardy8888
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeiBook86 View Post
I would love both of these things changed, however I haven't found a simple solution for either issue sadly.
Click on your desktop and press Command + J. Here you will find options to change the size of your desktop icons
ardy8888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:29 AM   #22
mschaefer05
macrumors newbie

Swipe to go back a folder in Finder

With the new gesture to open Spaces, I cannot swipe to go back when I am in Finder. Anyone know if there's a setting I can change or a differen swipe I can perform to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!
Mike S.
mschaefer05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:31 AM   #23
paulsalter
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to paulsalter Send a message via AIM to paulsalter Send a message via MSN to paulsalter Send a message via Yahoo to paulsalter
nice, be good for something like this to be a sticky

it would stop a lot of duplicate questions
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:33 AM   #24
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

Thanks! Now if someone could let us know how to bring back the 2 finger swipe to go back/forward in finder/applications..

..and remove that stupid Ipad-like animation when doing so in Safari too.
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:39 AM   #25
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy8888 View Post
Click on your desktop and press Command + J. Here you will find options to change the size of your desktop icons
I meant the sidebar icons on the left side of the Finder window, not the actual icons on the desktop (see example image below). I don't think they would be an easy thing to change unfortunately.
Attached Images

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion