Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:09 PM   #1
r0n1n
macrumors member

/System/Library/StartupItems missing after recent updates.

Hello,

I'm currently running OS 10.6.8 and after installing the itunes 10.4, safari 5.1 and the remote desktop updates, and rebooting. Console gets flooded with the following error (this error happens during bootup.):

Code:
Jul 20 18:27:55 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter): Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory
Jul 20 18:27:59: --- last message repeated 12 times ---
I did a ls /System/Library/ in terminal, and there isn't a StartupItems directory.

Dose anybody know the contents of that directory? Is it safe to create an empty StartupItems directory so I don't get that error, and if it is safe, what should the permissions of that directory be?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by r0n1n; Jul 21, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
r0n1n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:08 PM   #2
r0n1n
macrumors member

I manually created a StartupItems directory and that error stopped showing up when I reboot.

If anyone else has this problem, you have to create the StartupItems directory in Terminal, because you can't right click>New Folder when you're viewing the /System/Library directory in Finder. This is how I did it.

First, open up Terminal (Located in your /Applications/Utilities folder). Then cd to the /System/Library directory by typing:

Code:
cd /System/Library
Press enter. Now you have to create a new StartupItems directory. To do this type:

Code:
sudo mkdir StartupItems
Press enter, and it will ask for your admin password, type it in, press enter one last time, and that's it.

The second command is case sensitive, so make sure that the "S" and the "I" in StartupItems are capitalized. Also, if anyone is wondering why do you have to use sudo. It's because, any command that modify's the /System/Library directory needs to be executed as root.
r0n1n is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X