Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I can't seem to get internet sharing to work in Lion. If anyone knows of a fix or any official info re internet sharing in 10.7, please post. Many thanks, k/x

Last edited:

Aerizon

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
can't get it to work as well. i've tried all of the options but my iPad just can't detect the network.Broken?

ConnorCG

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Is it possible that you are trying to push your ethernet connection to AirPort instead of Wi-Fi? I share my Wi-Fi connection through my ethernet, and Internet Sharing left settings as AirPort -> Ethernet, but now in Lion it has to be Wi-Fi -> Ethernet for my settings.
ScreenShot2011-07-21at12.42.16AM.png

You would have opposite settings.

gazrsvr

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I had the same problem and found that I had to set up the security password again in system preferences/sharing. Click on Wi-Fi options at the bottom of the Sharing preferences and select the level of security you want. Then enter your password and click OK. You might find that you will have to re-enter the password on your iPad/iPhone even if it is the same one that you used previously.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Is it possible that you are trying to push your ethernet connection to AirPort instead of Wi-Fi? I share my Wi-Fi connection through my ethernet, and Internet Sharing left settings as AirPort -> Ethernet, but now in Lion it has to be Wi-Fi -> Ethernet for my settings.

You would have opposite settings.

Sorry, but I'm not really sure what you mean. Airport isn't even an option in Lion.

I had the same problem and found that I had to set up the security password again in system preferences/sharing. Click on Wi-Fi options at the bottom of the Sharing preferences and select the level of security you want. Then enter your password and click OK. You might find that you will have to re-enter the password on your iPad/iPhone even if it is the same one that you used previously.

This worked. Thanks a bunch!

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
Same problem here. I have always successfully shared my connection from wifi to computers using ethernet (actually its a voyage dongle on the other end) in Snow Leopard. Now it doesn't work in Lion. Here's what the console says:

Code:
7/21/11 5:32:11.000 PM kernel: Ethernet [nvenet]: Link up on en0, 100-Megabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug [796d,0000,0de1,0005,45e1,0000]
7/21/11 5:32:11.000 PM kernel: 05f5e100  00500026  NVEthernet::setLinkStatus - Active
7/21/11 5:32:12.600 PM ntpd: bind(33) AF_INET6 fe80::223:dfff:fe9d:6656%4#123 flags 0x11 failed: Can't assign requested address
7/21/11 5:32:12.600 PM ntpd: unable to create socket on en0 (12) for fe80::223:dfff:fe9d:6656#123
7/21/11 5:32:26.582 PM UserEventAgent: ServermgrdRegistration cannot load config data
7/21/11 5:32:26.582 PM UserEventAgent: ServermgrdRegistration oldConfig is nil during net changed notification

Edit: Here's an update. It was the same problem as mentioned above. The sharing was still using the old "airport" instead of the new "wifi". Going in and changing to wifi fixed it.

Last edited:

kodilane

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
Internet Sharing from Airport to Ethernet. Lion

I can't seem to get internet sharing to work in Lion. If anyone knows of a fix or any official info re internet sharing in 10.7, please post. Many thanks, k/x

In snow leopard i would use the settings Share your connection from : Airport
to computers using Ethernet.

After the update to Lion i found that these setting still said this, however it didn't work.

When i clicked the drop down to share connection now Wi-Fi was among the list, i selected wifi and then share to ethernet, and the settings still didn't work.

now when i click the drop down box, the airport has disappeared.
I am trying to share my internet from WIfi to the Ethernet that goes to my Xbox 360.

So i have my ethernet settings configured. and it says connected, but the actual internet connection is still sharing to airport, even after i change it... Some problem in the code here. anyone know a fix?

I switched to share from WIFI to computers using Ethernet, and my ethernet detects that its connected but there is no internet connection, it says can't resolve DNS. So the internet is not actually being shared.

FIX. Okay the solution was to change WIFI TO Share with computers using Ethernet, but in LION we no longer need to manually configure the Ethernet Connection. I Selected Using DHCP, and then on my xbox360 chose automatic settings for IP and DNS, and it worked.!

Last edited:

kojip123

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011

in Lion, use simple computer name. i.e: MBA, instead of Somebody's Macbook air. It worked for me

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
in Lion, use simple computer name. i.e: MBA, instead of Somebody's Macbook air. It worked for me

That worked for me. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks! Thanks so much!

Amazingly simple solution. Brings me back to my enduring preference for more traditional digital naming conventions.

BostonMerlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
i have no problem sharing but find that just about every time i reboot my macbook air, the "share your connection from" drop down selects "nothing". I have to select my usb ethernet (which is always plugged into the airs usb port).

would also like to know how many connections you can share. Right now, my air is sharing to an android tablet, android phone, iPhone 4s, iPad2 and win phone 7.

bluepolo

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
I found that I had to create a wireless network first - here's some instructions

http://www.hutsby.net/2009/03/share-ethernet-internet-connection-in.html

I also notice that if you go to the Network control panel, it doesn't show the IP address correctly of the wifi card, it only shows the self-assigned address.

If its working correctly, if you do "ifconfig" from terminal, you should see the second address <10.0.2.1>:

$ ifconfig
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 10.0.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255
inet 169.254.234.139 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 169.254.255.255
media: autoselect

Last edited:

mladin

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
only google , yahoo messenger and unread.com works

hello,

i am trying desperately to figure out why i can´t share internet over my internal wifi card mac osx lion on my iPhone or pc,
somehow there are only some sites connecting: google whit all search results, onread.com.... sometimes yahoo messenger app,.. but nothing else is opening

who has an idea??

wolfmurphy

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
San Pablo, Ca
Sharing Ethernet to WiFi worked when I changed the channel

I tried many of the suggestions. What worked for me was changing the WiFi channel from 11 to 6. Then when I shared I got the correct arrow in my status bar and more important, was able to get internet on my iPad.

It still seems like superstitious behavior rather than a rational series of steps to get sharing to function as it did in a pre-Lion world.

... Tom

disbellj

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
Had To Fix Network Preferences First

I had Network Preferences set to Automatic, which let me connect to internet through automatically detected WiFi. But in Sharing Preferences, Internet Sharing was unchecked, grayed out / greyed out, and there were no options under WiFi which was also grayed out / greyed out.

When I changed Network Preferences to Wifi, and it showed Wifi and Ethernet both unconnected. After Wifi connected and got an IP address, I was able to go to Sharing Preferences and place a checkmark next to Internet Sharing, and also Ethernet was available under Wifi and checked.

Hope this helps someone.

Kindest regards,

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.