Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mambogeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I just did a pre-order from Amazon. Has anyone else done the same?

Just wondering if there is any confirmed or unconfirmed rumor on the ETA from Amazon yet. Just trying to save almost $80 bucks on tax for me.

If it's going to take too long, I would bite the bullet and just get it from Apple Store.

T

TheBMill

Hah, we're in the same boat. I had pre-ordered an 11 inch with 256gb of ram in the Apple store at 10am yesterday. Never got an email confirmation and it seemed like it was taking too long...Then I discovered the Amazon pre-order price without tax and all on the 128gb and couldn't pass on that deal.

But, yeah, long story short: I pre-ordered around 6pm PST yesterday and it still says I can cancel the order on Amazon, which usually means we're not close to shipping yet.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
I just did a pre-order from Amazon. Has anyone else done the same?

Just wondering if there is any confirmed or unconfirmed rumor on the ETA from Amazon yet. Just trying to save almost $80 bucks on tax for me.

If it's going to take too long, I would bite the bullet and just get it from Apple Store.

How did you do the pre-order? Link?

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
You're saving, but not really.

$1199 MBA on Apple with EDU equals $1149 + 7% tax = $1229.43 + $100 Giftcard

$1199 MBA on Amazon = $1195

So technically you're getting $65 more through Apple.

All this applies to EDU Discount eligible people.

If you're not eligible for a discount go through Amazon.

mambogeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
NO ETA yet, I presume

Guess most people are on the same waiting boat. *sigh* Was hoping for an ETA rumor somewhera about Amazon. :(

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011

You're saving, REALLY. So tired of people calling the $100 credit on the App Store a "savings" ... IF you use the app store and planned on spending $100 in the next year or so, yeah, call it a savings, but for most (see app store usage statistics), it's a smoke-and-mirrors offer that they'll only use because they get it, which means it's not a savings, it's just an add-on value.

Bottom line, If someone lives in CA and wants a stock 11" upper model:

APPLE (No Discount) - - $1199 + 105 CA Tax + $8 CA eWaste + $10 2-3 day delivery = $1322

EDU - $1149 + $101 CA Tax + $8 CA eWaste fee + $10 2-3 day dleivery = $1268 ... then you get a bonus of $100 in software, but that's far from "money in pocket" for most that didn't plan to buy $100 in pocket.

BUSINESS - $1127 + 96 CA Tax + $8 CA eWaste + $10 2-3 day delivery = $1243

AMAZON - $1195 + $0 Tax + $0 CA eWaste + $0 2 day shipping = $1195

Sure seems like Amazon is the cheapest to me. It's like someone saying that it's a better deal for you to buy a car from Toyota of Oakland because even though their car is cheaper, they'll throw in a "undercoat protector, a $100 value" for free. Well if you're like most, you weren't planning on buying it anyhow, so the value is minimal since even if you wanted it done, you could have it done elsewhere for 75% off the "value" they state.

Most people are blinded by marketing... it's okay. When Apple was giving away free iPods it was a good deal because you were getting a tangible in-demand piece of hardware you could sell to recoup costs. With this, that's essentially squashed. This is a great deal, but ONLY if you planned on buying software and buying it from the inflated App Store prices anyhow.

Be smart consumers, see through marketing BS people.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
Yes, MacMall charges tax in CA. MacConnection does not.

Here's a list of authorized Apple retailers and their Air prices along with tax and shipping info.

http://www.macprices.net/macbookair.shtml

I don't like those compare charts because info tends to be biased. Apple rarely delivers laptops using ground. Same with Amazon. If you order from Amazon, they always use 2 day shipping for computers. Apple in my experience has been the same way for me, but I've never had them actually say it. Amazon will say it if you call em :)

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
You're saving, REALLY. So tired of people calling the $100 credit on the App Store a "savings" ... IF you use the app store and planned on spending $100 in the next year or so, yeah, call it a savings, but for most (see app store usage statistics), it's a smoke-and-mirrors offer that they'll only use because they get it, which means it's not a savings, it's just an add-on value.

Bottom line, If someone lives in CA and wants a stock 11" upper model:

APPLE (No Discount) - - $1199 + 105 CA Tax + $8 CA eWaste + $10 2-3 day delivery = $1322

EDU - $1149 + $101 CA Tax + $8 CA eWaste fee + $10 2-3 day dleivery = $1268 ... then you get a bonus of $100 in software, but that's far from "money in pocket" for most that didn't plan to buy $100 in pocket.

BUSINESS - $1127 + 96 CA Tax + $8 CA eWaste + $10 2-3 day delivery = $1243

AMAZON - $1195 + $0 Tax + $0 CA eWaste + $0 2 day shipping = $1195

Sure seems like Amazon is the cheapest to me. It's like someone saying that it's a better deal for you to buy a car from Toyota of Oakland because even though their car is cheaper, they'll throw in a "undercoat protector, a $100 value" for free. Well if you're like most, you weren't planning on buying it anyhow, so the value is minimal since even if you wanted it done, you could have it done elsewhere for 75% off the "value" they state.

Most people are blinded by marketing... it's okay. When Apple was giving away free iPods it was a good deal because you were getting a tangible in-demand piece of hardware you could sell to recoup costs. With this, that's essentially squashed. This is a great deal, but ONLY if you planned on buying software and buying it from the inflated App Store prices anyhow.

MacConnection would be cheaper in CA at $1149 and no tax, free ground shipping.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011

I just don't consider MacConnection when I buy. I ordered from them once, and they took 2 weeks (a WEEK to process an IN-STOCK item), then a week for UPS to deliver, since it's archaic GROUND.

Whenever you order something ground, look at the box. It usually arrives looking like it's been through a rock tumbler.

What can brown do for me? Put it on a plane, or let fedEx take it, hehe

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011

For the slight price difference, I'd go with Amazon for peace of mind. Any problems Amazon fixes right away, their customer service is amazing.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
For the slight price difference, I'd go with Amazon for peace of mind. Any problems Amazon fixes right away, their customer service is amazing.

I agree 100%. Amazon will re-ship a replacement before getting back the old one, most won't.

SpiffyChee

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2005
cant select i7 for 11" macmall

When I go to macmall and try to configure the 11.6" air with the 1.8 ghz i7 it shows up for a second then as the page finishes loading it only allows me to choose the i5. But with the 13" air I can select the i7 with no difficulty... Does anyone else know why this is happening? Is it permanent? How much does the upgrade cost?

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
I agree 100%. Amazon will re-ship a replacement before getting back the old one, most won't.

This is incorrect. I know this firsthand. Amazon will usually ship a replacement immediately, but due to the cost of the MacBook Air (or similarly priced computer) Amazon will NOT ship you a replacement, unless you pay for it as if you were buying a second MBA.

So if you get a MBA with a problem, you either return it first, get the refund, then reorder a replacement. Or you create an entirely new second order, and then return the first after you receive the second. But Amazon will not re-ship a replacement before getting the old one back, unless you pay for both. You basically have to pay for two, if you want an "instant" replacement.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
This is incorrect. I know this firsthand. Amazon will usually ship a replacement immediately, but due to the cost of the MacBook Air (or similarly priced computer) Amazon will NOT ship you a replacement, unless you pay for it as if you were buying a second MBA.

So if you get a MBA with a problem, you either return it first, get the refund, then reorder a replacement. Or you order the second one, and then return the first after you receive the second one. But Amazon will not re-ship a replacement before getting the old one back, unless you pay for both. You basically have to pay for two, if you want an "instant" replacement.

Well I suppose for those of us with long-standing business with them, they do it, not sure. It's their computer department, so my guess is completely discretionary on their part. But then again, I spend $25k a year with them, and with my credit card on file there's no reason for them not to reship. If I don't send it back, they can charge. I've had several DOA from Amazon over the years. Never had any issues.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011

So if you get a MBA with a problem, you either return it first, get the refund, then reorder a replacement. Or you create an entirely new second order, and then return the first after you receive the second. But Amazon will not re-ship a replacement before getting the old one back, unless you pay for both. You basically have to pay for two, if you want an "instant" replacement.

Ask nicely and they will ship you one first.:D

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
Having worked at Amazon.com in customer service back in the day, I can tell you that had somebody asked me, I would likely have required a return prior sending out a replacement on such an item.

I would, however, have given you an apology for any inconvenience and a $10 gift certificate for a future purchase . . . had you yelled at me enough.

:)

fristuff

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
I'm looking to buy a base 13 inch and the NY tax kills it everywhere... any suggestions?

I can get educational discount, but tax alone is +100 and... can the $100 app store thing be sold too?

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011

Really? Are you SO TIREDOMG?!

Calm down man, your general attitude on this board is the tiring thing.

Actually, a LOT of people will use it. You don't speak for the general public, and I am sure many people will use it. I know I have a few purchases lined up already myself.

Also, in case it was not clear, you can use it on the MAC APP STORE, THE APP STORE (iOS), ITUNES STORE OR IBOOKSTORE. Surely people could find some use for it, I know I could in a single day.

This is a BACK TO SCHOOL promo. For students. A lot of students need different types of software depending on the classes they are taking.

It isn't some SMOKE AND MIRRORS CONSPIRACY OMG.

Wow, overreact much? I mean, I know we are talking about the bottom line cheapest here, but again, the card does indeed have value to a lot of people. You are acting like the bonus that Apple graciously threw in is some kind of scam.

Nope, the card is an actual tangible card that is not linked to your account. Do a quick search on ebay and see that the cards are selling for sometimes even $100, or at least in that general range.

So, if you so chose not to use the app store card, you basically get a $100 rebate from Apple. Gonna factor that into your list?

Yes, be smart I agree. But also, don't listen to random dudes on the internet that think big ol' bad Apple is out to get you; especially when it is a difference of $20-$100 we are talking about :rolleyes:

Last edited:

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
Really? Are you SO TIREDOMG?!

Calm down man, your general attitude on this board is the tiring thing.

Actually, a LOT of people will use it. Just because you probably pirate all your stuff, doesn't mean that everyone else does.

This is a BACK TO SCHOOL promo. For students. A lot of students need different types of software depending on the classes they are taking.

It isn't some SMOKE AND MIRRORS CONSPIRACY OMG.

Wow, overreact much? I mean, I know we are talking about the bottom line cheapest here, but again, the card does indeed have value to a lot of people. You are acting like the bonus that Apple graciously threw in is some kind of scam.

Nope, the card is an actual tangible card that is not linked to your account. Do a quick search on ebay and see that the cards are selling for sometimes even $100, or at least in that general range.

So, if you so chose not to use the app store card, you basically get a $100 rebate from Apple. Gonna factor that into your list?

Yes, be smart I agree. But also, don't listen to random dudes on the internet that think big ol' bad Apple is out to get you; especially when it is a difference of $20-$100 we are talking about :rolleyes:

Your response was so defensive. If you want the Back 2 School Promo, go for it. Apparently you take anyone disagreeing with you as confrontational.

If you don't like reading what I have to say, click BLOCK, and you'll never have to read it.... but giving a quick glance at your post history, I see you've contributed very little information to this forum. Good luck to you.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011

Are you serious? $100 credit does not equal cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.