Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
With the previous OS X versions, you could get rid of iLife by doing a clean install and picking the software you wanted and didn't want.

How do you do this now that Lion is web software only and there is no reinstall disc?

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
With the previous OS X versions, you could get rid of iLife by doing a clean install and picking the software you wanted and didn't want.

How do you do this now that Lion is web software only and there is no reinstall disc?

In Snow Leopard you can use an app like AppCleaner and set it to allow you to delete stock apps.

You would have to put in your admin password, and that usually did the trick.

I don't know if it will work in Lion.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Reformat your drive, install from USB stick (Apple doesn't include iLife on the USB stick, as I found out, if you reformat your MBA SSD you lose iLife completely) Apple gives you no backup of the iLife suite apps when you buy your MBA -- it is just installed on the SSD and not on the USB stick. All that comes on the USB stick is the base Mac OS X.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Reformat your drive, install from USB stick (Apple doesn't include iLife on the USB stick, as I found out, if you reformat your MBA SSD you lose iLife completely) Apple gives you no backup of the iLife suite apps when you buy your MBA -- it is just installed on the SSD and not on the USB stick. All that comes on the USB stick is the base Mac OS X.
This is not true. I just stuck my USB drive in from my 2010 MBA and "Install iLife" is there.

However, if you install Snow Leopard from the installer on the stick, you're right, it doesn't load iLife. But it's right there on the USB for installation.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
From reading the Apple Support documents on how the Web Recovery (or whatever it's called) works on the 2011 Airs, you have to manually go into the App Store (after Lion reinstalls for the Internet) and manually redownload the iLife apps (for free). Or in your case, don't.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In Snow Leopard you can use an app like AppCleaner and set it to allow you to delete stock apps.
App removal software such as AppCleaner doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I would not trust AppCleaner to do anything. There are other threads on this. You can easily wind up with an unbootable system.

AppCleaner has worked fine for me for doing this very thing. I wanted to strip most of iLife off of my baseline 64gb drive to get the absolute most out of it, and I used AC without any problems.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
AppCleaner has worked fine for me for doing this very thing. I wanted to strip most of iLife off of my baseline 64gb drive to get the absolute most out of it, and I used AC without any problems.
It didn't remove everything associated with those apps. Read my earlier post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.