Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samgnight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I installed SafariOmniBar and don't like it but idk how to uninstall it. Everywhere I read says to remove the plugin or extension from Library/Internet Plug-Ins but there is nothing there. What do I do to get Safari back to having 2 separate fields at the top? 1 for URLs and 1 for Google. I'm running Lion if that makes any difference.

mmduluth

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
I just deleted the

/Library/Application\ Support/SIMBL/Plugins/SafariOmnibar.bundle

Like it said on the website and then restarted my computer and it worked fine.

samgnight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
yeah within the Library folder there isn't a folder named Application. there is a folder named Application Support though, but inside Application Support there isn't a SIMBL folder or a Safari folder. I've tried showing hidden files and folders but i still can't find anything to do with OmniBar or SIMBL

Zebson

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
yeah within the Library folder there isn't a folder named Application. there is a folder named Application Support though, but inside Application Support there isn't a SIMBL folder or a Safari folder. I've tried showing hidden files and folders but i still can't find anything to do with OmniBar or SIMBL

I found the SIMBL folder inside Application Support:
/Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/SafariOmnibar.bundle

Move the .bundle file to the Trash.

If you not find it there, I can't help you

samgnight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
ok so i still can't find anything by searching for SIMBL or SafariOmniBar, but i still have an omnibar in safari. the other day when i turned my computer on and opened safari it was back to how i want it and i thought it would stay that way. after quitting and restarting safari, it was back

samgnight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
alright i deleted safari using app delete and am now using chrome. i want safari back but i cant download it from apple's website because it is only for SL. how can i download safari for Lion?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
this is for Leopard, not Lion

Sorry, I read that Leopard (got mixed up, both have L). For Lion, Right Click the Installer app, and show package contents, then open the ESD (located in SharedSupport inside Contents), Open the Packages folder, and locate the Safari Package. It's in there.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Is anyone having this problem:

Sometimes when I open Safari after a reboot Omnibar is not installed. When I type a search term in the address bar it just says "safari cannot find the server".

I have to go and reinstall Omnibar when this happens! It's driving me nuts!!!

samgnight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Probably because he gave you the incorrect path. Application Support is the folder. Not Application folder and then Support folder.

yes i had been looking in the Application Support folder the whole time. i don't even get a result when i search for SIMBL using Spotlight

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
yes i had been looking in the Application Support folder the whole time. i don't even get a result when i search for SIMBL using Spotlight
That's because Spotlight won't search all folders. Read the link I posted for instructions.

WWDC08

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Found a fix

I have been having the same issues as above, not been able to find the folder on my Mac to delete Safari Omnibar.

I'm running Lion 10.7.2 and this solution worked for me! :)

(1) Quit Safari
(2) Click on Finder.
(3) Press Shift+CMD+G
(4) In the Dialog box that appears type in "/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/" without the quotes.
(5) Delete 'SafariOmnibar.bundle'

Job done.

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have been having the same issues as above, not been able to find the folder on my Mac to delete Safari Omnibar.
If you followed the instructions in the link in post #13, you would have found the file and achieved the same result.

igabephoto

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2011
Library

I think the reason you cannot find it is that there is more than one Library on the mac. One is in the Macintosh HD hierarchy, and the other is under your user. I found that in Lion the user library is hidden - annoying since I have a bunch of stuff in there - so it might take some digging and showing hidden files and folders.

I just became annoyed with, found, and deleted omnibar in the exact spot these people are saying. It is there.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I think the reason you cannot find it is that there is more than one Library on the mac. One is in the Macintosh HD hierarchy, and the other is under your user. I found that in Lion the user library is hidden - annoying since I have a bunch of stuff in there - so it might take some digging and showing hidden files and folders.

I just became annoyed with, found, and deleted omnibar in the exact spot these people are saying. It is there.
As I told the last poster, if you followed the instructions in the link in post #13, you would have found all the files without any digging. That method reveals app-related files in both /Library and ~/Library folders, as well as anywhere else they may be on your computer.

goldmercury

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Just upgraded to Mountain Lion and the SafariOmniBar is no longer required with the new safari address/search bar. Instructions on post 13 did the trick :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.