Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doublersf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Just was given a Power Mac G5 Dual processor Model A1117. (I shall be retiring the G4 mirrored door Power PC with the very noisy fans). Needing some advice on the best way to restore from the G4 time machine backup to the G5.

The G5 has OS 10.4 and a 250 GB HD that I want to replace with a new HD, since it is 5+ years old.

If I purchase a 500 GB hard drive, install in G5, boot with a system CD, and partition drive into 250 GB partitions, can I restore from the G4 time machine external backup drive using migration Asst. , without installing an OS on the new G5 drive?

(G4 running OS 10.5.8 also on a 250GB drive)

Thanks

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
never tried it with time machine, but i've done the same thing a different way.

bought a new drive, used an external to mount the new drive on the g4, partitioned and erased, and then used SuperDuper to copy/clone the g4 as it was to the new drive.

moved and mounted the new drive into the g5, and after a longer than normal boot the first time, worked perfect. no changes, no adding/removing any software, etc. just plugged and played! :)

if the time machine thing won't work, you might give this a go. best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.