Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I see Mission Control as taking a lot of the functionality out of Exposé and Spaces. You remember when your spaces were in a grid layout? Man I miss that. It allowed me to easily switch from any of my 6 spaces to any other extremely quickly using control-arrowkey. With Mission Control, it makes Spaces completely linear, taking away the ability to navigate to and from different spaces easily. I liked being able to navigate up, down, left, and right to get where I needed to go quickly. In that sense, Mission Control is a failure.

And before, I liked being able to use them independently, which made them much more powerful when used together! For example, I had Spaces set up for my top right corner and Exposé set up for my bottom right corner. So I could easily hit my Spaces corner to see all my spaces, and then while still in Spaces hit my Exposé corner to see all my windows in all my spaces. Now with Mission Control, you can only see all your windows in one space, which, in my opinion, is very limiting. Now if you want to see all your windows at once, you can't! You have to go into Mission Control and then go through each space to see your windows.

Also back in Snow Leopard, it was easy to move any window from one space to another thanks to the grid layout. When I hit my Spaces corner, I could easily drag my Chrome window from space 3 to space 6, or from 4 to 1, it didn't matter, I could move it wherever I wanted. But with Mission Control, you can only move windows in your current space to another space. So if you open Mission Control while on your first space, you can't move windows from your second space to your first one. You would have to move to your second space, move it to your first one, go back to your first one, and then you can start working with that window. Once again, very limiting in my opinion.

Another thing is moving spaces. You have ABSOLUTELY NO ability to rearrange your spaces in Lion. Back in Snow Leopard, you could move your whole space wherever you wanted, it didn't matter! And if you use a full screen application, it automatically moves it to the very last space! Well what if you want the full screen in your second space, some apps in your first space, and some other random apps in spaces 3 and 4? Well too dang bad, it won't let you!

Also comes problems with Mission Control and multiple monitors. In Mission Control, you can't move a window from one monitor to the other, you have to get out of Mission Control, drag it over, and then go back to Mission Control to do whatever you needed to do. And say you are on your first space and want to move a window to your second space to be on your other monitor. Well that won't work either!

Mission Control took out all the great productivity features from Exposé and Spaces that really helped people work faster. So, does anyone know if there is/will be a Mission Control replacement anytime soon? What I'm thinking is if there is any developer(s) working on fixing the current problems with mission control and maybe even bringing back Exposé and Spaces like they were in SL, you know, back when they worked well? Because if someone comes out with this and puts it on the App Store, I would gladly pay for something like this.

Also, if anyone finds some other problems with Mission Control, please post it here. And if anyone finds any work arounds or replacements for Mission Control, post it here!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Things i can be thankful for... I have been still running tiger on my MBP, that I don't have a multi-tuch trackpad, that i never decided to use spaces or expose. Because apparently this will make my transition to lion wayyyyy easier.

Ugh.

I hope you can figure out how to get it back how it works for you - my DD uses the heck out of spaces and is bugging me to upgrade. She might not like it so much from what I'm reading.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Yes. If anyone develops an Expose/Spaces clone please let us know. I would love to be able to put Lion back on my computer.

Do any developers out there know if a clone is even possible in OSX? I know they have them for Windows and Linux.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
That's my only hope. Some hack/tweak.

I lost my Snow Leopard disk, my external hard drive broke, and I'm just having a problem getting Snow back.

I hate what Apple did. For the first time in my history - amazed/dissapointed/shocked.

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
I don't like the idea to be reliant on third party software for basic OS functionality. With Apple's stubbornness in mind I don't believe they'll change mission control that much, maybe tweak it a little.. Well, that sucks.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I don't like the idea to be reliant on third party software for basic OS functionality. With Apple's stubbornness in mind I don't believe they'll change mission control that much, maybe tweak it a little.. Well, that sucks.

I think you're right about Apple not changing and only offer minor tweaks. But hopefully one of those will be the ability to rearrange spaces. I doubt you will be able to see all your windows in all your spaces like you could. I also doubt you will be able to rearrange windows to different spaces when not in that space.

Personally I don't mind relying on third party software for some things, and this would be one of them. I rely on BetterSnapTool for window snapping and it seems to work pretty well. I like hyperdock's snapping better, but it's more expensive.

emmanuelpancra

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Sadly I have the same problem here, to the point where I regret having upgrade my system, which is very sad because my computer is much smoother and i like some of the new features.

Since yesterday, I've been looking for a replacement of Expose and I found a few, but only for the Windows os!!!

Kinda ironic, because I remember pretty well showing my macbook to my friends when Apple was not well know around me, and everybody was amazed at it. Now they can do it on their PC, but not me :/

I really don't understand the point that Apple is trying to make here. Since Snow Leopard was available, a lots of people started complaining about the fact that the old expose was missed, but we were able to reinstall it through Terminal actions. Now it's definitively gone...

Apple, you heard this sentence a lot, but I repeat it : if it ain't it broke, don't fix it!

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I like Mission Control. Am I the only one?

Well, I like it better still not perfect in my opinion, but way better than Snow Leopard.

Apple, you heard this sentence a lot, but I repeat it : if it ain't it broke, don't fix it!

I don't want to tell you that you are wrong because it is just opinion, but I thought that previous versions of exposé were pretty broken. I think Mission Control is fairly broken as well, but less so.

Amblydoper

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009

This thread is all about whining for Expose/Spaces to work the way they used to, and you are calling out APPLE for being stubborn? Look in the mirror people. OSX is different now.

David Pouge nailed it in his review when he said "(Lion is) not so great if you hate people moving your cheese."

HONDAxACURA

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
California
In some ways, Mission control is a step forward, especially the aspect of full-screen gets their own desktop.

In terms of going back and forth between apps and windows, I liked expose, especially the all windows. It's just bigger previews of what you have open.

For those heavy multitasker running multiple programs, Mission control is great. However, for people running 1 or 2 programs but with multiple windows, Expose is better.

All I want it show all windows expose option in mission control instead of grouping.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
For those heavy multitasker running multiple programs, Mission control is great. However, for people running 1 or 2 programs but with multiple windows, Expose is better.

All I want it show all windows expose option in mission control instead of grouping.

Depends. The more windows you have, the worse Mission Control gets because you run into the problem of windows overlapping each other and/or if you're using spaces, it's just more clicking. If you have few windows/applications opened, Mission Control is perfect because it's not hard to see which window you want.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan

Application Windows [F10] will show all Windows for the application in focus. With the amount of apps and windows in each that I use on a regular basis there is no way I'd want them all to be shown in Mission Control.

Mission Control [F9] and Application Windows [F10] both serve different purposes.

I like Lion a lot. It's taken some getting used to but I'd never go back to Snow Leopard now.

tfalves

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
In my opinion, Mission Control is fairly well designed. The only problem is, as you guys said, the windows from the same app are grouped. Now, my suggestion to apple would be: Ok, leave the windows grouped, but, when I click a set of windows, it switches to the "Application Windows" view... you know, the one where all the windows from that app (and that app only) are shown on screen, exposé style.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
In my opinion, Mission Control is fairly well designed. The only problem is, as you guys said, the windows from the same app are grouped. Now, my suggestion to apple would be: Ok, leave the windows grouped, but, when I click a set of windows, it switches to the "Application Windows" view... you know, the one where all the windows from that app (and that app only) are shown on screen, exposé style.

This. If Apple all windows Expose' available from Mission Control, I'd be willing to accept that (even though it's still one more action/gesture to perform) and upgrade to Lion full time.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
This. If Apple all windows Expose' available from Mission Control, I'd be willing to accept that (even though it's still one more action/gesture to perform) and upgrade to Lion full time.

Is it that hard to go directly to App Expose and then cmd-tab between apps? It doesn't leave Expose and you never even have to open your dreaded Mission Control.

tfalves

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Is it that hard to go directly to App Expose and then cmd-tab between apps? It doesn't leave Expose and you never even have to open your dreaded Mission Control.

It's harder that way I guess. Mission Control shouldn't be avoided! I use it and I'm loving it, the only problem is, as everyone said, windows are grouped... If only we could click the group of windows, instead of just one from the group, and then see every window within that group spread on the screen, that would be perfect for me! Just one more click, but who cares? I could have everything ready for access faster, from within mission control!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Nothing is hard. It's just gestures/point-click but it's why do I have to do more for the same functionality? I'm not going to go through the whole Mission Control vs. Snow Leopard Expose' but this is one of Mission Control's flaws. If Apple refines it, I'll take another look at Lion.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
It's harder that way I guess. Mission Control shouldn't be avoided! I use it and I'm loving it, the only problem is, as everyone said, windows are grouped... If only we could click the group of windows, instead of just one from the group, and then see every window within that group spread on the screen, that would be perfect for me! Just one more click, but who cares? I could have everything ready for access faster, from within mission control!

Well, you can't do so exactly the way you want to so far as I know but there IS a way to fan out the windows of each app to an extent where you can more easily choose the one you want. I use the Magic Mouse and after I've brought up Mission Control if I do a 3-finger swipe up over the app it will spread out the windows of that app, just not to the extent App Expose does. Still, it's more than enough to choose the window you want methinks.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Nothing is hard. It's just gestures/point-click but it's why do I have to do more for the same functionality? I'm not going to go through the whole Mission Control vs. Snow Leopard Expose' but this is one of Mission Control's flaws. If Apple refines it, I'll take another look at Lion.

As I mentioned above, if you have a Magic Mouse or a Magic Trackpad, you can do a gesture over the app you want to spread the windows of in Mission Control (3-finger swipe up for me) and it will fan out the windows enough to choose the one you're after.

I disagree with your flaw comment, but clearly one man's feature is another man's flaw. :)

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well, you can't do so exactly the way you want to so far as I know but there IS a way to fan out the windows of each app to an extent where you can more easily choose the one you want. I use the Magic Mouse and after I've brought up Mission Control if I do a 3-finger swipe up over the app it will spread out the windows of that app, just not to the extent App Expose does. Still, it's more than enough to choose the window you want methinks.

It's still useful regardless of the negative opinions of Mission Control, it works - but if you have a minimum number of windows (depending on user/tolerance).

If you have, say two or three apps open with 2 windows each, using Mission Control in it's current state is no problem, you don't need to see the whole window - you can easily find the one you're looking for and select it.

As I mentioned above, if you have a Magic Mouse or a Magic Trackpad, you can do a gesture over the app you want to spread the windows of in Mission Control (3-finger swipe up for me) and it will fan out the windows enough to choose the one you're after.

I disagree with your flaw comment, but clearly one man's feature is another man's flaw. :)

That's cool. Everyone has their own way of working. If you're comfortable with Mission Control, that's great but it doesn't work for me. Mission Control has it's pluses but Windows management is not one of them.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Well, I like it better still not perfect in my opinion, but way better than Snow Leopard.

Yeah, I think that's a good description. It doesn't feel like the "perfect solution", although I can't quite put my finger on what would make it better...

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
The biggest issue I have with it is you cannot see all your windows open at once. You can only do that in 1 space. So say you have 10 spaces open, you have to go through each one in MC in order to find the window you are looking for. This can slow people down significantly!

Also, you can't rearrange spaces, can't drag windows from space to space (only from the current one you are in which is EXTREMELY limiting), and its awful with multiple monitors. IMO, major step back.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I wish at least App Expose mode had the windows in order but it appears all random. Desktop 5 window first one, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.