Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marrzie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I am in Sweden so its a lot cheaper to have my family in the US order my 2011 macbook air and ship it to me. They will be ordering to North Carolina.
I incorrectly assumed http://www.apple.com would not charge sales taxes for online orders. Whats my best option for online vendors that do not charge taxes?

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
I am in Sweden so its a lot cheaper to have my family in the US order my 2011 macbook air and ship it to me. They will be ordering to North Carolina.
I incorrectly assumed http://www.apple.com would not charge sales taxes for online orders. Whats my best option for online vendors that do not charge taxes?

It depends on the state.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
If Apple has corporate offices in your state (i.e. California, Texas, etc), you have to pay the standard state sales tax (for instance in Texas it is 8.25%) for all sales from the Apple Online Store, and of course you would be also paying the sales tax if you walk-in to an Apple Store location and buy a computer.

As said, above, Amazon does not charge tax, and you can usually get away without paying tax if you buy on eBay.

marrzie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Amazon sounds good then. I guess I will wait a few days until they get the 13" i7 air if they actually will get that particular model. Not sure I will even save anything after you factor in the education discount and the itunes gift card. Oh well. :apple:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I don't know if they will carry the i7 models on Amazon. Apple specified to some extent that it is a BTO option (but you can buy through Apple retail chains at certain locations, we know).

For instance, Amazon doesn't offer Solid-State drive options on their iMacs or MacBook Pros. They only carry certain standard config models usually

They may have the i7 models, you will just have to wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.