Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Kashchei
macrumors 65816
 
Kashchei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Meat Space
Send a message via MSN to Kashchei Send a message via Yahoo to Kashchei Send a message via Skype™ to Kashchei
Apple USB Modem Incompatible with Lion?!?

Has anyone else who upgraded to Lion been told that their Apple External USB Modem is incompatible? I knew about Rosetta and Front Row, but I didn't know that my modem would become incompatible. Is there a work-around for this or am I stuck now with a $49 bauble?
__________________
Hungry enough to touch your face
Kashchei is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:54 PM   #2
gr8tfly
macrumors 603
 
gr8tfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ~119W 34N
Startup on Snow Leopard when you need to use it. I'm in the same boat, where I need to FAX from time to time.

Perhaps someone will find a third-party driver that works with it. I suspect it uses an industry standard chip. If so, a generic driver might be able to be patched to recognize the Apple modem.

I recently had to do this with a 64-bit kext for a USB to serial adapter. It used the same chip, but the USB vendor and ID were different, and had to be patched into e kext.
__________________
Macs from 1984 to 15" Retina MBP 768GB SSD 16GB RAM, from Newton to iPhone 5 S⃣ , iPods, and tv (3). 128GB Wifi iPad Air
gr8tfly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:03 AM   #3
ed724
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashchei View Post
Has anyone else who upgraded to Lion been told that their Apple External USB Modem is incompatible? I knew about Rosetta and Front Row, but I didn't know that my modem would become incompatible. Is there a work-around for this or am I stuck now with a $49 bauble?
Your stuck. The Apple USB modem only works under the 32 bit kernel. I have a USB to serial adapter that wont work in 64 bit mode either, totally sux.
ed724 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:05 AM   #4
mcb001982
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Manhattan NY
Send a message via ICQ to mcb001982 Send a message via AIM to mcb001982 Send a message via Skype™ to mcb001982
Um, why not use www.efax.com ? I went over to that a long time ago and IMO it is worth the $12 a month for the service.
mcb001982 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:32 AM   #5
moonchilddave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I just found this myself after installing Lion... And I too mainly use it for faxing. I'm not holding my breath on Apple releasing a 64-bit driver for it either since they no longer carry it. After a little searching the net, I found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

Basically someone found a $12 USB fax modem that works. I just ordered one myself. It doesn't say anything on the e-bay page about it working with Lion - but one user reporting that it did was enough for me at that price point ($12 + free shipping).
moonchilddave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Kashchei
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Kashchei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Meat Space
Send a message via MSN to Kashchei Send a message via Yahoo to Kashchei Send a message via Skype™ to Kashchei
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchilddave View Post
I just found this myself after installing Lion... And I too mainly use it for faxing. I'm not holding my breath on Apple releasing a 64-bit driver for it either since they no longer carry it. After a little searching the net, I found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

Basically someone found a $12 USB fax modem that works. I just ordered one myself. It doesn't say anything on the e-bay page about it working with Lion - but one user reporting that it did was enough for me at that price point ($12 + free shipping).
Thanks for the tip, moonchilddave! I've ordered one as well and will give my old modem to my wife to use with her SL MacBook.
__________________
Hungry enough to touch your face
Kashchei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:19 PM   #7
firmansolutions
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
USB modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashchei View Post
Has anyone else who upgraded to Lion been told that their Apple External USB Modem is incompatible? I knew about Rosetta and Front Row, but I didn't know that my modem would become incompatible. Is there a work-around for this or am I stuck now with a $49 bauble?
I had this problem when I bought a new 2011 MBP. I booted Snow Leopard into 64 bit mode automatically. The recommended solution was to force a boot into 32 bit mode. This provided the required drivers / compatibity.

I haven't made the upgrade yet. Could you try rebooting into 32 bit mode? This was done in SL by holding down the 3 and 2 keys until the Apple logo appears. Not sure if it's supporting (ie. Does Lion support 32 bit operation).

Cheers
Eric
firmansolutions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:20 AM   #8
leaflover
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
External Apple Modem Work Around

Lion will not boot in 32 bit mode. The only solution is to partition ~25 gb of space on your hard drive using disk utility and re-install Snow Leopard in this separate partition keeping Lion in the other. Once you have it installed hold down the 'option' key on start up and select the drive partition where you installed Snow Leopard. Hold down the "2 and 3" keys when booting and you will start up in 32 bit mode and be able to use your modem.

This is not ideal but will work. I often use my MBP where only dial up is available and called Apple to find a solution. This was all we could come up with.

Last edited by leaflover; Jul 25, 2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: added detail
leaflover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:45 AM   #9
moonchilddave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Lion will not boot in 32 bit mode.
This is NOT true... My MacBook boots Lion in 32bit mode - but even copying the driver (I think) for the Apple USB Modem from Snow Leopard didn't work:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1200953
moonchilddave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:50 AM   #10
HellDiverUK
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Belfast, UK
Modem?

Last millennium us calling, it wants it's outdated technology back...
__________________
: HellDiverUK :
: Lenovo x121e, i3-1.3, 8GB, Samsung 830 256GB, Win7 : MacBook Pro 13" :
: ATV1 Crystalbuntu : ATV2 Jailbroken : Airport Express : iPhone 4 16GB :
HellDiverUK is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:13 PM   #11
moonchilddave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellDiverUK View Post
Modem?

Last millennium us calling, it wants it's outdated technology back...
A lot of businesses still use FAX technology... Also, it is my understanding that when certain countries (Egypt I believe) cut off internet access, guess what still was able to get online... A modem.
moonchilddave is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:50 PM   #12
RileyCoyote
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashchei View Post
Has anyone else who upgraded to Lion been told that their Apple External USB Modem is incompatible? I knew about Rosetta and Front Row, but I didn't know that my modem would become incompatible. Is there a work-around for this or am I stuck now with a $49 bauble?
Just to add a thought... I upgraded to Lion over the weekend, and was very unhappy to find that the external fax modem did not work. I called Apple support, and they confirmed what has been posted here... the external modem doesn't work, they don't make one that does, they don't plan to make one, and they will not refund the $50.00 I paid for this cheap piece of plastic. I am not happy. I had even contacted Apple support prior to buying Lion about compatibility issues. I did not buy an OS upgrade to lose features. Many situations require the use of fax technology--medical-legal situations, recipients who do not use email, etc. The medical clinic where I work has interpreted HIPPA privacy laws to mean that we cannot use email instead of faxing in most patient communications outside our office. This is one thing Microsoft does understand better than Apple. I had hoped to switch my office over to Mac, but this is one of several issues that convinces me to use the Macbook as a toy, not a work machine.
RileyCoyote is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:37 PM   #13
moonchilddave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I now have my Apple USB Modem working with Lion perfectly (dialup and fax both work)! You need to copy both from a Snow Leopard backup (and be in 32bit mode I think):

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/MotorolaSM56KUS B.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/SM56KUSBAudioFamily.kext

So, apparently Apple just didn't bother to include the drivers. For this to work though you have to be running a 32bit kernel. To check, go to the Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info > System Report > Software.

If you see "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No" - this should work. If it says Yes, you are probably out of luck. Also, after copying those files over, you may want to do a repair permissions and reboot.
moonchilddave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:47 AM   #14
fmj
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchilddave View Post
I now have my Apple USB Modem working with Lion perfectly (dialup and fax both work)! You need to copy both from a Snow Leopard backup (and be in 32bit mode I think):

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/MotorolaSM56KUS B.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/SM56KUSBAudioFamily.kext

So, apparently Apple just didn't bother to include the drivers. For this to work though you have to be running a 32bit kernel. To check, go to the Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info > System Report > Software.

If you see "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No" - this should work. If it says Yes, you are probably out of luck. Also, after copying those files over, you may want to do a repair permissions and reboot.
I have tried to get the modem to work again by extracting the necessary files from the 10.5.8 combo update and copy them into the correct places as far as i can tell. After rebooting into 32 bit mode the modem now shows up under USB devices in System information, but nothing shows up under modem. Can you clarify a bit about how to repair permissions?
fmj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:10 PM   #15
moonchilddave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I have tried to get the modem to work again by extracting the necessary files from the 10.5.8 combo update and copy them into the correct places as far as i can tell. After rebooting into 32 bit mode the modem now shows up under USB devices in System information, but nothing shows up under modem. Can you clarify a bit about how to repair permissions?
Here's exactly what I did... I have a freshly installed SL partition on my drive (all updates to 10.6.8):

From a terminal:
$ sudo -s
(enter password)
# cp -rp "/Volumes/Snow Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/MotorolaSM56KUS B.kext" "/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/"
# cp -rp "/Volumes/Snow Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/SM56KUSBAudioFamily.kext" "/System/Library/Extensions/"

Then I exited Terminal and rebooted holding down Option to boot into my Lion recovery partition. Then I clicked on Disk Utilities, and did a "Repair Permissions" on my Lion partition (where I just copied the files to). After it finished, I rebooted into my main Lion partition and everything showed up (New Network Interface detected). I had to open up and add the modem to the Print & Scan system preferences (Click on Fax, then add a new fax and the modem showed up).
moonchilddave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:15 PM   #16
mattraehl
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I can't get my external floppy disk reader to work either.
__________________
21.5" iMac i5 2.7 Ghz 12 GB RAM
iPad 2 32GB WiFi
iPhone 5S 32GB
mattraehl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 04:30 PM   #17
fmj
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchilddave View Post
Here's exactly what I did... I have a freshly installed SL partition on my drive (all updates to 10.6.8):

From a terminal:
$ sudo -s
(enter password)
# cp -rp "/Volumes/Snow Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/MotorolaSM56KUS B.kext" "/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/"
# cp -rp "/Volumes/Snow Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/SM56KUSBAudioFamily.kext" "/System/Library/Extensions/"

Then I exited Terminal and rebooted holding down Option to boot into my Lion recovery partition. Then I clicked on Disk Utilities, and did a "Repair Permissions" on my Lion partition (where I just copied the files to). After it finished, I rebooted into my main Lion partition and everything showed up (New Network Interface detected). I had to open up and add the modem to the Print & Scan system preferences (Click on Fax, then add a new fax and the modem showed up).
Would it be possible for you to supply the files? It would be nice to not have to install a fresh SL with all possible updates as well as having to hunt down when the latest files appeared in an update
fmj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 06:32 PM   #18
moonchilddave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Would it be possible for you to supply the files? It would be nice to not have to install a fresh SL with all possible updates as well as having to hunt down when the latest files appeared in an update
Send me a PM.
moonchilddave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 06:53 PM   #19
rossip
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattraehl View Post
I can't get my external floppy disk reader to work either.
Are you serious?! But what about all the DOS games I want to import with boxer!
rossip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 07:15 PM   #20
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Erie, PA
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattraehl View Post
I can't get my external floppy disk reader to work either.
I haven't try it yet, but that's not funny. I'm still using a digital camera that uses floppies. LOL!

Hugh
__________________
Hal 9000: You like your Macintosh better then me, Dave?
Hugh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 07:27 AM   #21
fmj
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchilddave View Post
Send me a PM.
PM doesnt seem to work. I just ended up buying the zoom modem and a solution from http://www.greatarbor.com/products.html. Seems easier and with the zoom modem i dont have to boot into 32 bit mode all the time. (also this might be something my father will be able to handle ).
fmj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:19 AM   #22
cool11
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchilddave View Post
I now have my Apple USB Modem working with Lion perfectly (dialup and fax both work)! You need to copy both from a Snow Leopard backup (and be in 32bit mode I think):

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/MotorolaSM56KUS B.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/SM56KUSBAudioFamily.kext

So, apparently Apple just didn't bother to include the drivers. For this to work though you have to be running a 32bit kernel. To check, go to the Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info > System Report > Software.

If you see "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No" - this should work. If it says Yes, you are probably out of luck. Also, after copying those files over, you may want to do a repair permissions and reboot.

Can anyone upload somewhere these 2 files?
I really need usb modem to work in lion.
Somebody with snow leopard installation can help us.
I wait for these files to try the modem under lion.

----------

Anyone else to confirm that lion recognizes apple usb modem with 2 files that moonchilddave told us?
cool11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:56 AM   #23
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
You can modify com.apple.boot.plist to boot Lion in 32-bit mode. I was "" this close to buying the USB modem till I saw its price when I bought the MBP. I'm glad I didn't.

-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattraehl View Post
I can't get my external floppy disk reader to work either.
Get a new one

But seriously, I have one that works.
__________________
[Tutorial] Three Finger Drag on Non-supported Multitouch Macs (MAJOR UPDATES!!! (8/7/2013))
Front Row for Lion
Now I know why the maps icon wants you to jump off of a bridge!
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:23 AM   #24
cool11
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I hoped somebody could help me, uploading the appropriate files, in order to test/use the apple usb modem in Lion.
cool11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:50 AM   #25
moonchilddave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool11 View Post
I hoped somebody could help me, uploading the appropriate files, in order to test/use the apple usb modem in Lion.
I sent you a PM....
moonchilddave is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Comcast Cable Modem incompatible with Apple wireless? pianoman88 Mac Peripherals 4 Aug 12, 2013 11:44 AM
The Apple USB modem is not supported with OS X Lion or later. kcossabo iMac 5 Oct 6, 2012 09:21 AM
Software Apple deems incompatible with Mountain Lion MoxieFan Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Sep 5, 2012 02:32 PM
Any chance Apple USB modem works with ML? themumu OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 Jul 25, 2012 07:32 PM
How to Share USB modem Internet on Mac Lion rit Mac Basics and Help 0 Jul 15, 2012 10:06 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC