Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Hey guys, this is my first time entering this part of the forum to post something (I love the thread about the tablet!). Anyways, I found an old Powerbook 170 in our barn and i am curious as to what operating system it ran. I am also curious as to how I can get a copy of it. It starts up but it only gets to the point where it is flashing the folder icon, so there must not be anything on the harddrive. Thanks guys. I would love to get this thing going again and put Sim City back on it because I have great memories of playing it the back seat of my dads car, that blew me away at the time.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It cam with OS 7.0.1, the best it could run was OS 7.6.1. Where can you get that stuff? eBay. That's about it. That Mac was discontinuted over 12 years ago. I'd be wary that it's not lacking an OS, but that the hard drive is toast.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
yellow said:
It cam with OS 7.0.1, the best it could run was OS 7.6.1. Where can you get that stuff? eBay. That's about it. That Mac was discontinuted over 12 years ago. I'd be wary that it's not lacking an OS, but that the hard drive is toast.

If the harddrive is toast, it's no big deal. It's still fun to show my friends the computer. Thanks for the info.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I think you can download 7.5 from Apple. Copies of 7.6 are plentiful in eBay and flea markets too, tho. The 170 is black & white, right? But it is a sharp, bright screen.

As long as you're on eBay, you might look for another older powerbook so you can swap power adapters, batteries, etc.

If machines are stored in non-temperature-controlled areas, like barns, they experience bad thermal cycling each morning, including condensation which causes rust and corrosion. I'm surprised it works at all. I agree with yellow that the hard drive, and the floppy drive too, are probably ruined.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
You can also mount all 19 images of 7.5.3, burn them to a CD on your computer, and then use the System 7.5 Network Access Floppy Disk (on that website of stuff) to install off of the CD.

Of course, that is if you have a CD drive.

You may just need to use 19 floppies... or 2 floppies. 1 is for Disk 1 and the other you keep formatting over and over and over again with 2-18. I've done that with a Windows 3.11 install. :eek: Not fun.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Nermal said:
Huh? It's included in that archive I linked to (it's the Disk Tools file).
Oh, I just remembered there not be any with the 7.5.3. I had never checked out the 7.0.1 as I already had that System.

:rolleyes: Learn something new everyday.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The 7.5.3 installer on Apple's site is a mess. It's easier to download 7.5 (I've seen it on ftp.zip.com.au) then update it to 7.5.3 (and then to 7.5.5).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.