Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Reed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Columbus, OH
I'm running Safari 5.1 on Lion and was wondering if there was a setting somewhere to disable page refreshes when using the gesture driven forward and backward navigation.

I like how the new animation shows you the pages you are flipping through as it makes it seem more responsive and immediate. I'm running into the problem, though, that this illusion is encouraging me to try and scroll as soon the page looks loaded when really it's in the middle of a refresh and about to jump me to the top.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
+1, I'm having the same dilemma. Anyone know a workaround?? (especially when it comes to clicking on links that aren't active yet, but instead a rendered image of the page)

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
Well the thing is, it looks like when you swipe back, it loads a rendered jpg of the page, and then refreshes after to make the page interactive with links and scrolling and what not. So it will still need to be refreshed, but Apple should revise it so that it starts to refresh as soon as you swipe back/forward, instead of waiting for the entire jpg of the page to be shown, and then reload.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
getting this and its very annoying

it doesnt seem to refresh the page, just load a stored copy of it (ie, when you go backwards the topic just looked at is not marked as read)

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Safari 5.1 also constantly refreshes pages in the latest version of Snow Leopard....for no apparent reason at all. It's extremely annoying.

nsteblay

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
I am having the same problem. An example of where this is a problem is in the navigation of forums. When going back a page the forum list updates and changes because of new entries. It's very difficult to keep track of where you are in reading a forum.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I'm getting annoyed by this as well! Hopefully it's fixed in a future update of sorts

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I have found a solution but it's not ideal

set the track pad option to

swipe between pages with 3 fingers as it was in Snow Leopard instead of Scroll with 2 Fingers

Mike Reed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Columbus, OH
I've noticed the App Store beach balling when opening and switching between sections where it'll show part of the page at first before eventually loading the real page it's trying to display. As those interfaces are likely using the same technology as ITunes (embedded web pages as content) I wonder if they're both related to a change somewhere in the WebKit portion of UIKit.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Have you installed the extra Java for Lion ?

I did this when I was prompted to, I have found if I disable Javascript this issue goes away

For me it looks like its the version of Java installed which is causing problems

just a pain having to reenable it if a site needs it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.