Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kentuckyducky22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Macbook keys not working on keyboard?
My F1,1,Q,A,Z,Backspace (Delete) & F12 Keys don't work -.- :'( -Apple macbook
Someone help??? I'm sure I didn't spill anything as well!!!!!!!!

My 'Z' was not working for 2 weeks & now ll the buttons above re not working =(

*If your wondering how i used the letters on my keyboard for this question, It's because I copied & pasted the letters from somewhere else*
I have done some research and this has happened to few people before but im not sure why it happens or how to fix the problem. any body able to help mee??????

DerekMitchell

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
My issue is similar. I am running a MacMini with a wired extended apple keyboard and a wireless mouse. Since upgrading to el capitan a number of keys have stopped working. These include: right shift key, top row 8, up arrow, 4,5,6 and + on the numeric keypad. There might be others that I haven't found yet. I have reset Prom, rebooted and checked the mouse and keyboard settings. I am truly lost. In addition these keyboards are very difficult to source, as it seems as if Apple want us all to use the short keyboards.

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
I have a similar issue in El Capitan 10.11.1.
I have a USB extended Apple keyboard and the right side number keys are not functioning. They work to log into my account, but after the desktop appears they stop functioning. Funny thing is, the surrounding keys =/-+* are working. It's just 0 thru 9 that are borked.
Everything works fine in Yosemite.

I noticed that while mucking around in the Keyboard pref pane, that it fails to identify my keyboard.
So far everything I've tried hasn't gotten those right hand number keys back in El Capitan. Frustrating.

DerekMitchell

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
I have a similar issue in El Capitan 10.11.1.
I have a USB extended Apple keyboard and the right side number keys are not functioning. They work to log into my account, but after the desktop appears they stop functioning. Funny thing is, the surrounding keys =/-+* are working. It's just 0 thru 9 that are borked.
Everything works fine in Yosemite.

I noticed that while mucking around in the Keyboard pref pane, that it fails to identify my keyboard.
So far everything I've tried hasn't gotten those right hand number keys back in El Capitan. Frustrating.
After trying and failing at all solutions, I purchased a new extended wired keyboard from Apple. It works well now. If/when I upgrade I will use the bad keyboard and then switch it when I am done. I don't want to have to buy another keyboard.

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
After trying and failing at all solutions, I purchased a new extended wired keyboard from Apple. It works well now. If/when I upgrade I will use the bad keyboard and then switch it when I am done. I don't want to have to buy another keyboard.

The thing is, when I boot into Yosemite all is fine. It's just El Capitan that is causing my extended keys to quit working.

I've been searching through the Apple Discussions forum and haven't found any solutions yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.