Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirBarnabas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
So I just got a MBP, 2.2ghz i7, 4gb stock ram (not ssd).

25 seconds to boot (which I know is fast, but I see a lot of people saying theirs boots in 12-15 and thats how fast mine was before all this)

I installed some fonts from my old PC and while I was doing that the computer froze so after a few minutes I held the power button down to shut it down because nothing was working, then when I turned it on it was still frozen. After like ten minutes it finally brought up a message saying something like "these fonts are corrupt" so I got rid of all the traces of corrupt fonts, removed duplicates, validated fonts and installed a font manager so I only have 49 fonts activated out of 750 that are on my system. I got Onyx to clear all cache and all the other maintenance it does. And I got it to go from 45 seconds to turn on down to 25 but originally I seem to rememeber it turning on in less than that, probably around 12-15 seconds. Is 25 seconds normal for this machine? Cuz I don't think theres anything I haven't done besides a clean install which isn't really necessary because its not that big of a deal but I'm just worried about the implications of it booting slower. My activity monitor doesn't show anything too suspicious but I could be overlooking something. Any suggestions? I'm new to Macs so any help would be really appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.